BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

08-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #10165
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

No idea just find it interesting to happen with the same endlink. The Dinan ones are extremely stout (possibly not a good thing in this instance when combined with adjustable stiffer spring suspension?)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 05:20 PM   #10166
Chris_PDX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, NA Miata

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
No idea just find it interesting to happen with the same endlink. The Dinan ones are extremely stout (possibly not a good thing in this instance when combined with adjustable stiffer spring suspension?)
The thing is the end link itself is intact. The failure point was on the MCS shock housing itself. That said, they are thinking that there was some torsional forces through the end link that was stressing the connection to the shock body, and that was the weakest point of failure.

The guys at AR seem to think it's got something to do with the links / sway bar setup and not the damper quality itself. I mean, they run MCS on dozens of track and race cars and have only seen this failure once or twice before and it was also with Dinan bars and links.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #10167
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Okay, would someone care to explain why I should spend an extra $250+ on different sway bar end links when I'm already going to be spending $400-700 on new sway bars? I'm a bit confused on what benefit these offer over an OEM setup. Most aftermarket bars seem to allow use of OEM end links or a design like these.

Talked to a few friends and they said it's overkill for a mostly stock car, and that they tend to be noisy.

https://www.hotchkis.net/product/che...&md=440&sm=485

Adjustable end links can do a few things -

1 - sometimes the OE links have rubber bushings which reduces precision and speed of reaction. Monoball is generally desired on all suspension joints for a track / race car.

2 - The OE links may not be the correct length. Once you add sway bars, aftermarket suspension, maybe aftermarket suspension arms, etc. - things get more and more difficult to fit. I have had to go to adjustable end links to adjust my sway bars to clear suspension components, plus adjust the links to clear the sway bar itself and other suspension parts. Things get complicated the further you go with customizing your suspension. I have hours and hours into getting my suspension setup to not only perform, but also to eliminate rubbing and clearance issues with parts from various manufacturers. In the instance of my M3 with SPL arms and Öhlins TTX suspension, I had to switch from Eibach sway bars to Hotchkis to simply clear my rear struts. The Eibach's were just a little too narrow, therefore they would rub my shock. It's been very frustrating at times. The labor to drop my rear sub frame for the second time was not welcome.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #10168
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
WHO IS THOS IMPOSTER 86?!?!
Somebody had to fill in while you're out tiger woodsing the world
      08-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #10169
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_PDX View Post
Quote:
Odd coincidence...are those Dinan Endlinks @chris_pdx ? I know Redpriests were.
Yeah, Dinan end links.

I just got back from the shop, had to take the race-car in this morning for something else. The mounting point on the damper was bent in addition to the crack/shear that broke it off. They think something was flexing/twisting when it shouldn't of been and weakened it over time.

We'll be replacing the entire shock with a new unit they already have en-route from MCS and will still troubleshoot to see if any of the bushings or ball joints need replaced.

Also, when one of your M3s is in the shop, it's important to bring the other one in so they don't get lonely:
Lol same combo as @redpriest
      08-20-2019, 12:43 AM   #10170
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Really? Post a pic. Some cracks are normal. Did you put any of the thermographic paint on the vanes to see how hot it's getting?
No paint and no photos bc I’m not near my car. These aren’t the normal/acceptable cracks. There are some cracks that will catch a fingernail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
The silver E46 is sold and now on to a second owner as a track-only car. I get to see it every now and then, I miss it but not enough to buy it back hehe.

I've only been able to do direct comparisons of the PFC rotors vs the Stoptech ones, although now I can also do them vs the AP rotors as well. I'll die of a heart attack from the surprise if the AP ones last longer than the PFCs
Aw

Would you be interested in selling the E46 rotors? What size are the fronts? The street car (with PFC DD rotors) is full weight, so I wonder if the cracks will be less severe on my track car which is ~400 lbs lighter.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #10171
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Odd coincidence...are those Dinan Endlinks @chris_pdx ? I know Redpriests were.
Yeah, Dinan end links.

I just got back from the shop, had to take the race-car in this morning for something else. The mounting point on the damper was bent in addition to the crack/shear that broke it off. They think something was flexing/twisting when it shouldn't of been and weakened it over time.

We'll be replacing the entire shock with a new unit they already have en-route from MCS and will still troubleshoot to see if any of the bushings or ball joints need replaced.

Also, when one of your M3s is in the shop, it's important to bring the other one in so they don't get lonely:
If only we could get one of your cars off the lift we could put mine on and how much this last weekend cost me 🤣
*I haven't had the stomach to look at the pre-race bill

It seems as though the car is just too fast and starts coming apart after 30-60 minutes. Some of the suspension was safety wired but now every single nut and bolt will be.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #10172
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evora S, E36

Quote:
The thing is the end link itself is intact. The failure point was on the MCS shock housing itself. That said, they are thinking that there was some torsional forces through the end link that was stressing the connection to the shock body, and that was the weakest point of failure.

The guys at AR seem to think it's got something to do with the links / sway bar setup and not the damper quality itself. I mean, they run MCS on dozens of track and race cars and have only seen this failure once or twice before and it was also with Dinan bars and links.
I would put money on the endlinks not having enough articulation in certain situations, and putting a bending stress on the damper tab. I've seen this with aftermarket endlinks in the past. Check the damper on the other side of the car for any evidence that the tab is seeing the same stresses.

Either that or it starting to come loose. Once they start to get loose at all, the forces skyrocket on that mounting tab and it's only a matter of time.
      08-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #10173
Chris_PDX
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
If only we could get one of your cars off the lift we could put mine on and how much this last weekend cost me 🤣

It seems as though the car is just too fast and starts coming apart after 30-60 minutes. Some of the suspension was safety wired but now every single nut and bolt will be.
No! You have to wait your turn.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #10174
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:

No! You have to wait your turn.
Oh I can jump the line if I want! But I'm pretty sure you did if your car is on the lift on a Monday.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 10:21 PM   #10175
Chris_PDX
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh I can jump the line if I want! But I'm pretty sure you did if your car is on the lift on a Monday.
Dampers are off and the way back to MCS. They have some other singles coming for a race build that they'll put on mine and then use my rebuilds on the racer to get it turned around quicker.

Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #10176
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Dampers are off and the way back to MCS. They have some other singles coming for a race build that they'll put on mine and then use my rebuilds on the racer to get it turned around quicker.

Sigh.
Lots of the Texas HPDE guys love Inertial Lab for rebuilds, maybe keep them in mind for next time if you need fast turn-around:

http://www.inertialaboratory.com
Chris_PDX337.00
      08-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #10177
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
Quote:

I would put money on the endlinks not having enough articulation in certain situations, and putting a bending stress on the damper tab. I've seen this with aftermarket endlinks in the past. Check the damper on the other side of the car for any evidence that the tab is seeing the same stresses.

Either that or it starting to come loose. Once they start to get loose at all, the forces skyrocket on that mounting tab and it's only a matter of time.
Good call. The end link needs to be checked for full articulation throughout the steering range. You may need to change your mounting hardware, endlink length or the mounting point on the shock body to improve articulation. Is the end link mount on the shock fixed or can it be rotated? I have had to spend a lot of time getting this adjustment right on my kit. Including custom end link lengths and mounting hardware.

It's definitely not a plug and play install on the front. Especially when you swap suspension, sway bars, end links, and/or suspension arms. Techs can be rushed, lazy, or just make mistakes. Don't assume they did it right.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
Chris_PDX337.00
      08-22-2019, 11:08 PM   #10178
Chris_PDX
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
I am not having very good luck with cars on track this week. This is my E46 M3 dedicated track car. And yes, that's an OEM BMW wheel hub:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
PrimeBMW661.50
      08-22-2019, 11:23 PM   #10179
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
I am not having very good luck with cars on track this week. This is my E46 M3 dedicated track car. And yes, that's an OEM BMW wheel hub:
Wtf, how?! I was planning on having my front wheel bearings and hub replaced preventively in the next couple of months, but I might have to expedite that job. No tools for it, so I’ll have to outsource
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #10180
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Dang, how did you discover that happened?
      08-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #10181
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
dammit! Dogbone has also broken hubs. Really scary stuff!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:58 AM   #10182
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Was it vibrating like crazy? I would imagine separation like that would throw it off balance. Any symptoms at all?
      08-23-2019, 09:59 AM   #10183
newbieE92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Hello, fellow drivers! I’m new to this forum as I just purchased an e92 M3. Yesterday in fact. I’m not new to HPDEs. I’ve been attending 3-4 events a year for the past 6 years. I’ve been to most of the tracks in my area (i.e. Road America, BIR, Mid Ohio, MAM). Blackhawk is on my list but I haven’t made it yet. I’ve been running an e46 330 with suspension upgrades. I couldn’t be more excited about this step up in cars! My first DE in the new car will be Oktoberfast at Road America. I am planning to start with consumables that I settled on for the e46, but I want to draw on your collective wisdom to make sure I’m not missing anything/making obvious mistakes. There is only one other e92 in the group of track folks I typically run with, so I have limited friends with experience with this car to call. I’ll likely add camber plates over the winter/spring but I’m not planning any mods for now. This is just a list of consumables to maximize my fun for my first event in this car. Anyway, here’s what I’m thinking:
ARC-8s and Nitto NT-01s (a great economical combo for the e46, and it appears you guys/gals endorse them as well)
I’m thinking 275/35 18s for the first set of tires
Hawk DTC-70s
Ate Typ 200 fluid
Schroth Quick Fit Pro harness (I’m hoping my current set will bolt in without an issue)
In terms of wheels, I have read the recommendation in this thread to go with 10.5 as opposed to 10. I also read the 10.5 is available with an offset of 22 which eliminates the need for spacers. However, I don’t see that wheel on the Apex website. I would prefer to avoid spacers if possible. Who wouldn’t? Anyone have suggestions for how to track down 10.5s with the offset of 22?
Thanks in advance for your input!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #10184
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
dammit! Dogbone has also broken hubs. Really scary stuff!
When did this happen? Did he tap for m14 studs yet?
      08-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #10185
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
When did this happen? Did he tap for m14 studs yet?
he is running 14mm up front
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #10186
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Wow that crack in the hub is ugly. Damn good catch. Wonder if this is another nod if favor of the future classic upgrade kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieE92 View Post
Hello, fellow drivers! I’m new to this forum as I just purchased an e92 M3. Yesterday in fact. I’m not new to HPDEs. I’ve been attending 3-4 events a year for the past 6 years. I’ve been to most of the tracks in my area (i.e. Road America, BIR, Mid Ohio, MAM). Blackhawk is on my list but I haven’t made it yet. I’ve been running an e46 330 with suspension upgrades. I couldn’t be more excited about this step up in cars! My first DE in the new car will be Oktoberfast at Road America. I am planning to start with consumables that I settled on for the e46, but I want to draw on your collective wisdom to make sure I’m not missing anything/making obvious mistakes. There is only one other e92 in the group of track folks I typically run with, so I have limited friends with experience with this car to call. I’ll likely add camber plates over the winter/spring but I’m not planning any mods for now. This is just a list of consumables to maximize my fun for my first event in this car. Anyway, here’s what I’m thinking:
ARC-8s and Nitto NT-01s (a great economical combo for the e46, and it appears you guys/gals endorse them as well)
I’m thinking 275/35 18s for the first set of tires
Hawk DTC-70s
Ate Typ 200 fluid
Schroth Quick Fit Pro harness (I’m hoping my current set will bolt in without an issue)
In terms of wheels, I have read the recommendation in this thread to go with 10.5 as opposed to 10. I also read the 10.5 is available with an offset of 22 which eliminates the need for spacers. However, I don’t see that wheel on the Apex website. I would prefer to avoid spacers if possible. Who wouldn’t? Anyone have suggestions for how to track down 10.5s with the offset of 22?
Thanks in advance for your input!
Apex FL-5 18x10.5 ET22 Think it is model dependent with them if the make the ET22. Not sure what they are doing with their new forged line. Can also have them made to your specifications - that is the route I went with Signature Wheel - Signature Wheel SV502.
Appreciate 0