BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
MEMMEZZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR.E92

VMR Wheels Poor Reliability

Hey everyone. Just wanted to share my experience with all of you. Friday morning I proceeded to getting in my car and going out to take care of some things. I was on a local street when I hit a very small pothole. Keep in mind this pothole was not anything disastrous or big. Idrive shows I have a flat, so I pullover. To my amazement, my front passenger wheel is bent so badly from the outside you would think I hit a 2 foot pothole. I had the car towed to bmw and just got the damage report today. Both the front and rear passenger wheels are bent,(front wheel is bent in the outside and inside and rear wheel is bent in the inside) and I will need new ones.

My mechanic that i'm friends with told me this would have never happened if I had oem wheels and that the wheels should not have bent because of a pothole that big. I purchased these wheels new in July so it has not even been a year. I now know why these wheels are $1000 new. I guess you do get what you pay for. I know that now.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Well lemme just start off by asking you how big the rims were...?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
MEMMEZZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR.E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
Well lemme just start off by asking you how big the rims were...?
The rims were 19's with stock specs. 19x8.5 in the front and 19x9.5 in the back.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Ok, good lol. I though you were one of those that like to put 22s on your M and complain about rim strength .

But with 19s, especially where you live where I guess the roads should be fine, you shouldn't have a problem. VMR wheels just focus on looks, not quality...they are not forged they are gravity-casted. If you want good quality rims, they will not be cheap. The cheapest and best quality I can think of off the top of my head are VOLKs and CCWs, and those are about 6-800$/rim but are forged.

Sorry to hear of your troubles man...

Last edited by GewoW; 04-19-2010 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
There are a lot of variables to what was actually the cause since only you were present when it happened.

We've been using the VMRs for over 4 years and even used them on our track event at Mfest last weekend - all performing to our expectations. All of our employees tun the VMR brand and we've hit the ocasional pothole from time to time.

No one brand excuses being alert while driving, and sometimes bad luck happens. By all means, let's not immediately blame things before knowing the actual reason beforehand.

To throw a wrench into the analysis, A friend's wife has bent 3 wheels on her 335 with runflats within the past 12 months - which are stock OEM. We're not blaming the roads or the wheels, only that more attention needs to be paid on the road while driving.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
There are a lot of variables to what was actually the cause since only you were present when it happened.

We've been using the VMRs for over 4 years and even used them on our track event at Mfest last weekend - all performing to our expectations. All of our employees tun the VMR brand and we've hit the ocasional pothole from time to time.

No one brand excuses being alert while driving, and sometimes bad luck happens. By all means, let's not immediately blame things before knowing the actual reason beforehand.

To throw a wrench into the analysis, A friend's wife has bent 3 wheels on her 335 with runflats within the past 12 months - which are stock OEM. We're not blaming the roads or the wheels, only that more attention needs to be paid on the road while driving.
Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but the 335 OEM wheels are cast, and the runflats are extremely stiff and have caused an insane amount of bending/cracking. Both my rear style 230 wheels on my 335 were cracked and when I brought them to get repaired, the person I met with mentioned to me that they handle a very large number of cases from the nearby BMW dealer because of the stiff runflats.

So bottom line - runflats suck...and cause problems, and cast wheels are never as good as forged wheels, unless they weigh a lot more. I believe VMRs weigh in the low 20s...so that's a pretty bright red light in my book.

And I hope you shipped my CoolCarbons Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

vmr quality is not so great since it is gravity cast.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Were Your Tires Inflated to BMW Specs?

Under inflated tires can result in a more concentrated load applied to the rims.

Lots of people here and on E90Post have VMR rims. Seems like there would be lots of complaints if they were abnormally weak.
      04-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Elsa - 2015 F80 M3 - YMB/SS

Garage List
Have been running VMR's for 4 years. Not one bend in any of my rims... I think something else aided in this happening as others have said.

D
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
My VMRs have been on for over a year now with heaps of use and no issues.
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #11
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

That sucks. Any pictures? How long have you owned them? I wonder if the warranty will cover any of it, or your insurance.

On the flip side, I was driving my wife's Audi A6 on a rainy night when I hit the worst pothole ever. It was filled with rain, so I couldn't tell that it was 8" deep (as measured by the police after I filed a report). Actually, it was 5'Lx2'Wx8"D. The impact was so violent that the spring instantly broke in two and I limped it to a gas station with a cover. The OEM wheels suffered no damage and the tire wasn't even flat (Michelin X-ice winter tire). Simply amazing.

Last edited by M3V8Driver; 04-20-2010 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #12
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
That sucks. Any pictures? How long have you owned them? I wonder if the warranty will cover any of it, or your insurance.

On the flip side, I was driving my wife's Audi A6 on a rainy night when I hit the worst pothole ever. It was filled with rain, so I could tell that it was 8" deep (as measured by the police after I filed a report). Actually, it was 5'x2'x8". The impact was so violent that the spring instantly broke in two and I limped it to a gas station with a cover. The OEM wheels suffered no damage and the tire wasn't even flat (Michelin X-ice winter tire). Simply amazing.
8''!!!! That's almost as long as my...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #13
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

i dont know bout vmr but i previously had miro m6 reps on my e90 and i used them for a good 6 month with no issues at all despite going through some pretty rough roads. people have complained bout miro as well for being 'cheap, low quality rims'. i guess its just luck. i have also seen people with very expensive forged rims crack their rims by accident when going through a pothole.

there is a positive side to all of this -- you can get 2(even 3) sets of vmrs for the price or some forged rims out there. so its not exactly going to break the bank. imagine if you bent or cracked a custom multipiece forged rim, you'd be crying when you hear what the replacement cost for just one rim is going to be.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post

Well, typically, VMRs are not the first set of wheels you think of when looking for a performance oriented quality wheel. However, if one is looking to save money and change up the look of their ride, VMR would be a consideration.

Secondly, VMRs are vastly inferior to BMW OE wheels, especially the factory forged wheels. So why would anyone change a set of factory forged 19" for a set of cast VMR? A different look would be the only reason I could think of. However, you get what you pay for.

Personally, if I were to go aftermarket cast, it would have to be a reputable wheel manufacturer like BBS. Not that VMRs are not reputable but, there is a reason why they are so inexpensive.

Just my two cents..
-SZ
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #15
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

ran them as a winter set with no problems. did have one that leaked air bad but VMR replaced it and then no problems all winter and we got alot of potholes here
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #16
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas

Its a cast wheel, what do you expect?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #17
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Captain View Post
Its a cast wheel, what do you expect?
Welllllll.................

I run BBS CH's as a daily driver wheel, and they're casted, and I hit a disastrously big pothole. It ruined my tires, but my wheels still look round and fine. I'm waiting for the wheels to get back to me from being checked out, but everyone thinks they're okay.

I'm glad BBS are so tough, you have no idea how badly the tires were done....And remember, OEM M3 18's are cast wheels too. My friend went straight up a 6 inch curb on his OEM 18's at a decent speed, and other than curbing his wheels badly, his wheels were fine. It's more about getting what you pay for, I think.

Last edited by LateBraking; 04-21-2010 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #18
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeJayKaying View Post
Welllllll.................

I run BBS CH's as a daily driver wheel, and they're casted, and I hit a disastrously big pothole. It ruined my tires, but my wheels still look round and fine. I'm waiting for the wheels to get back to me from being checked out, but everyone thinks they're okay.

I'm glad BBS are so tough, you have no idea how badly the tires were done....And remember, OEM M3 18's are cast wheels too. My friend went straight up a 6 inch curb on his OEM 18's at a decent speed, and other than curbing his wheels badly, his wheels were fine. It's more about getting what you pay for, I think.
It's not really the same...the BBS and OE wheels (BBS as well) are cast, but heavy as hell...The VMRs are light - and so, weak.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #19
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
It's not really the same...the BBS and OE wheels (BBS as well) are cast, but heavy as hell...The VMRs are light - and so, weak.
Right. I was just commenting on the above post. It sounded like he was saying that cast wheel = automatically weak, which isn't necessarily true. I'm saying that it depends on what materials are used, amount of materials used, manufacturing process, quality control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #20
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Pics of damage?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #21
brandon @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 335i

I have personally been using VMR wheels on my cars since 2007- not one bent rim or one single problem. I currently have my stock M3 wheels on, and one of those are actually bent from going over a mild hole in the road that didnt even bubble, or pop my tire so I will be replacing these with yet another set of VMR wheels down the line
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #22
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Well, typically, VMRs are not the first set of wheels you think of when looking for a performance oriented quality wheel. However, if one is looking to save money and change up the look of their ride, VMR would be a consideration.

Secondly, VMRs are vastly inferior to BMW OE wheels, especially the factory forged wheels. So why would anyone change a set of factory forged 19" for a set of cast VMR? A different look would be the only reason I could think of. However, you get what you pay for.

Personally, if I were to go aftermarket cast, it would have to be a reputable wheel manufacturer like BBS. Not that VMRs are not reputable but, there is a reason why they are so inexpensive.

Just my two cents..
-SZ
Very well said. I took off my OEM forged 19s to Alu's SF71.
It's not lighter, it's not wider than stock 19s. But just for the look, I changed it.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0