BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

04-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
sfbmwboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010-M3 Sedan-DCT

SmartPhone Integration with iPhone

Anyone have this option and actually using it? I have both the smartphone and ipod option (no i didn't order it that way). Want to see if anyone has the phone adapter for iPhone.

All these option, bluetooth, ipod/iphone adapter, and smartphone is making each other redundant.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ne+integration
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbmwboy View Post
Anyone have this option and actually using it? I have both the smartphone and ipod option (no i didn't order it that way). Want to see if anyone has the phone adapter for iPhone.

All these option, bluetooth, ipod/iphone adapter, and smartphone is making each other redundant.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ne+integration
I have it, 6NF on top of 6FL. Use it all the time with my iPhone 3Gs. Everything works. Phone is still Bluetooth of course but it charges and I have iPod music functionality. It even seems that the antenna connection to the external shark fin antenna works although I'm pretty sure it's only a passive radiator setup.

I would buy it again.
      04-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
sfbmwboy
United_States
Rep

Did you have to get the iPhone cradle separately? Can you share some pics.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbmwboy View Post
Did you have to get the iPhone cradle separately? Can you share some pics.
Affirmative, cradle does not come with the car, it is phone specific.

I can't share pics at the moment and I'm sure there are others posted but here's one from the BMW Accessories web site...

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/Assets...apter_2455.jpg

Also...

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...4&d=1229687952

http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...3&d=1229687952

Note that these two would appear to be "reversed" (wrong side) to anyone other than the owner in the case, who is in the UK.
      04-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
asheesh88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray E90 M3

Hi,

I just got this as well and I think it works pretty well. I noticed better reception and I feel that the phone charges faster than with the iPhone cable.

The only downside is that I had to ditch my iPhone case, as the fit of the cradle will not allow for any type of external case, aside from the film type.

However, all in all a great addition.

Asheesh
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
Zed
Replicant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT

Can anyone confirm that the iPhone 3GS works properly with it? I currently have the cable, which will not charge the phone, but otherwise works. Charging would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
asheesh88
Private
Rep

Zed,

First of all i am pretty sure you have a faulty cable, or the wrong one for your phone. I was using the cable and it charges the 3GS just fine.

Also, yes, the iPhone adapter works fine with the 3GS. I was able to pop it in and verified that it was charging properly.

To sum up, either way, with cable or adapter, the phone should charge.

FYI, when I picked up my car from the dealer 2 months ago I got a cable with the car.....I tested it to make sure it worked....it did not. my CA quickly got me another cable and that one worked fine. He told me that as many as 1 in 4 cables do not work properly....surprising.

Asheesh
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheesh88 View Post
Also, yes, the iPhone adapter works fine with the 3GS. I was able to pop it in and verified that it was charging properly.
+1, 3Gs works great.
      04-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Just make sure you get the correct cradle. I didn't realize there were 4 different ones and now I have one that does everything but music. Oh well, I have iPod integration as well so it's not a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
sfbmwboy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Just make sure you get the correct cradle. I didn't realize there were 4 different ones and now I have one that does everything but music. Oh well, I have iPod integration as well so it's not a big deal.
Here are the part # I'm getting from BMWUSA site

Charge and Phone only PN: 84 10 9 182 792
iPhone 3G, charge/phone/music PN: 84 21 2 158 683

If only the dealer knew how to order, the money saved on the iPod option could have gotten me the cradle.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
dynamite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 - 6MT

I got 84 21 2 158 683

It charges my 3GS, but I couldn't figure out how to listen music.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
asheesh88
Private
Rep

Dynamite,

That is the correct part number.

To listen to music, first of all, make sure that the USB cable that you used before you got the cradle is disconnected.....both cannot be connected at once, and if they are, the cable takes precedence.

Hit the CD button on the iDrive.....go to external devices. Your phone shuld be listed. From there you should be able to play music from your phone.

Asheesh
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dynamite,

To listen to music, first of all, make sure that the USB cable that you used before you got the cradle is disconnected.....both cannot be connected at once, and if they are, the cable takes precedence.

Hit the CD button on the iDrive.....go to external devices. Your phone shuld be listed. From there you should be able to play music from your phone.

Asheesh
Or better yet program one of the six buttons to go straight to "iPod" as your audio source. Very nice.
      04-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #14
asheesh88
Private
Rep

M Rakete,

Thats a great idea. I think I will do that tomorrow!

Asheesh
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
csekar15
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 740Li

iphone 3GS integration

Quote:
Dynamite,

Asheesh
I just bought a new 2011 740Li. The dealer sold me the smartphone integration kit for $150. They are not able to get music to play through that. I can play music using the USB Y-cable that has a part that plugs into the accessory jack. But, I don't want to use that. I want to place the iphone 3GS on the smartphone integration cradle and be able to play music, talk on the phone and charge the phone at the same time. Do I need to buy the Apple iphone 3G snap-in adapter as well ($179) on top of the $150 smartphone integration kit or should the kit by itself be able to provide me all the features without the snap-in adapter?

Or Do I only need the part PN: 84 21 2 158 683 and not the $150 smartphone integration kit?

Thanks
Chandra

Last edited by csekar15; 04-26-2010 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csekar15 View Post
I just bought a new 2011 740Li. The dealer sold me the smartphone integration kit for $150. They are not able to get music to play through that. I can play music using the USB Y-cable that has a part that plugs into the accessory jack. But, I don't want to use that. I want to place the iphone 3GS on the smartphone integration cradle and be able to play music, talk on the phone and charge the phone at the same time. Do I need to buy the Apple iphone 3G snap-in adapter as well ($179) on top of the $150 smartphone integration kit or should the kit by itself be able to provide me all the features without the snap-in adapter?

Or Do I only need the part PN: 84 21 2 158 683 and not the $150 smartphone integration kit?

Thanks
Chandra
You need a car equipped with option 6NF, Smartphone Integration *and* the cradle (adapter), with the part number you list.

It sounds like your dealer installed the center console receiver for the phone adapter but I suspect that only supports charging and antenna connections. I would not call that Smartphone Integration and I don't think BMW does either. What part number (kit) did they install? I am not aware of a dealer installed substitute for the factory option 6NF, but there may be one.
      04-26-2010, 10:52 PM   #17
csekar15
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 740Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
You need a car equipped with option 6NF, Smartphone Integration *and* the cradle (adapter), with the part number you list.

It sounds like your dealer installed the center console receiver for the phone adapter but I suspect that only supports charging and antenna connections. I would not call that Smartphone Integration and I don't think BMW does either. What part number (kit) did they install? I am not aware of a dealer installed substitute for the factory option 6NF, but there may be one.
I didn't realize that the "smartphone integration" is a factory installed option and the dealer didn't tel me that either. Am I SOL now? I got the the premium sound package and that came with the ipod Y-cable. I think he just installed the snap-in adapter in a car that didn't have the smartphone integration. Is there a way to get that put in after the fact? I feel totally screwed since the dealership didn't tell me this at the time I bought the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #18
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csekar15 View Post
I think he just installed the snap-in adapter in a car that didn't have the smartphone integration. Is there a way to get that put in after the fact?
That's what it sounds like to me. Seems they installed what is known as the "eject box" or "base plate", I called it the "center console receiver" in my previous post. The eject box is what the snap-in adapter plugs into, your phone plugs into the adapter. Each phone model has a specific adapter.

From the BMW Accessories web site for "Apple iPhone USB Snap-In Adapter for BMW Smart Phone"...

"This adapter is for vehicles equipped with the BMW Assist system with Bluetooth wireless technology and Smart Phone Integration. The smart phone option not only charges the phone, but allows access to any music or MP3 files stored ont the phone. Also provides a connection to the roof mounted telephone antenna on your car for improved cellular reception. The adapter also provides a safe and secure place to dock your Smart Phone while driving and will charge your phone battery when the vehicle is running."

"Vehicle must be equipped with BWM Assist System (SA 639) iPod/USB iPod interface (SA 6FL) and BMW Smart Phone Integration (SA 6NF)technology and Smart Phone Integration SA 6NF."

According to the part number the cradle they sold you is...

Apple iPhone 3G USB Snap In Adapter for BMW Smart Phone(PN: 84 21 2 158 683)

Without 6NF this won't allow use of the USB (iPod) music functionality.

If it is as I have describe you could have done just as well with...

Snap-In Cradle for Apple iPhone 3G(PN: 84 21 2 158 682)

...for $27.00 less.

I am not aware of a kit to retrofit 6NF but I believe I recall someone having done it with the requisite parts on an M3. I don't believe any software coding was required but I really don't remember.
      04-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #19
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

You're screwed. If you didn't get 6NF during the build there is no retrofit. Your only other option at this point is to leave an iPod connected to the USB connector in the armrest. It's what I'm doing for now until I get the snap-in connector you have.

Actually, since you can't get music through yours and I need the same adapter you have do you want to work out a trade? Let me know.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #20
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're screwed. If you didn't get 6NF during the build there is no retrofit. Your only other option at this point is to leave an iPod connected to the USB connector in the armrest. It's what I'm doing for now until I get the snap-in connector you have.

Actually, since you can't get music through yours and I need the same adapter you have do you want to work out a trade? Let me know.
Not to rain on the trade option but you should only need 84 21 2 158 682. Note the last digit is different, this is the adapter that is power and antenna only.
      04-27-2010, 12:31 AM   #21
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

I have 682 and I get no music and I have 6NF and Smartphone Integration. Maybe I'm missing something but the 683 would get me the music playback I want and 682 wouldn't lose Chandra anything.

That's correct isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #22
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have 682 and I get no music and I have 6NF and Smartphone Integration. Maybe I'm missing something but the 683 would get me the music playback I want and 682 wouldn't lose Chandra anything.

That's correct isn't it?
Yes.