BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

10-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
blownturbo
Rep
Drives: rx8

Noob+foreign question

Hi there,

I might be moving to the US in the near future. I usually attend track days in Spain, and wanted to know if used/new slick tyres are commonly availabe in the US.

In my experience, semi-slick tyres (Sport Cups for instance), are far away from the performance of an, even previously used, slick.

I ran a comparison today and, even though the Sport Cups were far better than Pilot Sport, they are by no means as fast as slicks.

Anyway, the $ issue arises when a set of Scups is 1.100 Euro worth, and may last just one track day (depending on the track).

A used set of slicks is just 130 euro, delivered to my place.

If slick tyres are not that common on US track days, I just have to extend my budget on Sport cups

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [6.33]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [6.83]
2013 BMW 328i  [6.67]
There are plenty of people in the US running R-comps. Some schools may have a rule against novices from running R-Comps.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Go to tirerack.com, and you'll see DOT legal BFGoodrich R1 and Hoosier R6 slicks for sale. That will give you an idea of available sizes and market prices.
      10-12-2009, 04:23 AM   #4
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Go to tirerack.com, and you'll see DOT legal BFGoodrich R1 and Hoosier R6 slicks for sale. That will give you an idea of available sizes and market prices.
those are not "slicks"

BFG R1 & Hoosier R6 & Nitto NT01's are DOT Approved R-Compounds (just like Michelin PS Cups) and are inferior to true racing slicks,
but last longer and are street legal here in the US.

OP ... If you are interested in used slicks ... you will have no problem finding sources online for used slicks from $150-$300 USD here in the US.

FYI ...... for most track day enthusiast here .... the aforementioned R1, R6 & NT01's are more popular, cheaper ($250 ea. USD), last longer and are less temp-sensitive then Michelin PSC's ($400 ea. USD)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
those are not "slicks"

BFG R1 & Hoosier R6 & Nitto NT01's are DOT Approved R-Compounds (just like Michelin PS Cups) and are inferior to true racing slicks,
but last longer and are street legal here in the US.

OP ... If you are interested in used slicks ... you will have no problem finding sources online for used slicks from $150-$300 USD here in the US.

FYI ...... for most track day enthusiast here .... the aforementioned R1, R6 & NT01's are more popular, cheaper ($250 ea. USD), last longer and are less temp-sensitive then Michelin PSC's ($400 ea. USD)
I did not call them "racing slicks". I said they are DOT legal slicks. Their tread pattern is slick if you discount the two very minor grooves. The OP did not say anything about tire compound, so I assumed he was talking about tread design. Either of those DOT legal slicks does inded offer more performance than PSC--at least when new--which seems to be the rationale behind the OP's question.

I personally do not see the point of running used racing slicks during a regular track event unless they are handed to you for less than $100 and you can have them mounted/unmounted for free.

OP, the following website was suggested as a good source in another thread in case you are interested buying new racing slicks, but they'd be pricey (not sure what the point would be unless you are racing).

http://www.rogerkrausracing.net/

That discussion is here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310007
      10-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
I did not call them "racing slicks". I said they are DOT legal slicks. Their tread pattern is slick if you discount the two very minor grooves. The OP did not say anything about tire compound, so I assumed he was talking about tread design. Either of those DOT legal slicks does inded offer more performance than PSC--at least when new--which seems to be the rationale behind the OP's question.

I personally do not see the point of running used racing slicks during a regular track event unless they are handed to you for less than $100 and you can have them mounted/unmounted for free.

OP, the following website was suggested as a good source in another thread in case you are interested buying new racing slicks, but they'd be pricey (not sure what the point would be unless you are racing).

http://www.rogerkrausracing.net/

That discussion is here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310007

I see -- its just strange -- I've never heard anyone refer to R-Comps as "DOT Slicks" ??

Anyways, many advanced HPDE'rs run "Used Racing Slicks" at events because they give more grip and are cheaper then R-Comps.

People tend to discard R-Comps to quickly when you can run them to the cord.
Race teams discard slicks after a practice and/or quali session when there is plenty of life left in them (because they get them for free and have an allotment of a certain number per weekend).

I assumed the OP is an advanced HPDE'r and is specifically asking about 'slicks' (racing slicks) and not R-Comps, but I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
I see -- its just strange -- I've never heard anyone refer to R-Comps as "DOT Slicks" ??

Anyways, many advanced HPDE'rs run "Used Racing Slicks" at events because they give more grip and are cheaper then R-Comps.

Race teams discard slicks after a practice and/or quali session when there is plenty of life left in them (because they get them for free and have an allotment of a certain number per weekend).

I assumed the OP is an advanced HPDE'r and is specifically asking about 'slicks' (racing slicks) and not R-Comps, but I could be wrong.
Race teams usually only run race slicks or Dot race compounds a couple of heat cycles because they lose a lot of grip after a couple of heat cycles.This matters in racing but means very little in the world of trackdays & lapping where a 1/2 second means nothing.Since I have stopped racing,my tire supply for the track has been primarily take offs from the pros or more serious club racers.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I used to race bicycles and we would call tires without tread patterns "slicks" as well. I believe motorcyclists use similar terminology based on (the lack of) tread pattern, too--never got into motorcycles myself.

Sure, you can buy used race tires for cheap if you know the right people, who are on the same size tires you are, but I would assume they wouldn't really last when just lapping, and you'd have to constantly mount/unmount them. That's what I mean by I don't see the cost/benefit appeal unless you can land them at a very low price like Gearhead999s seems to be able to do.

Anyway, I guess the OP can decide what he wants based on the info in this thread.
      10-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Race teams usually only run race slicks or Dot race compounds a couple of heat cycles because they lose a lot of grip after a couple of heat cycles.This matters in racing but means very little in the world of trackdays & lapping where a 1/2 second means nothing.Since I have stopped racing,my tire supply for the track has been primarily take offs from the pros or more serious club racers.
I sure don't have your connections, so I wouldn't be able to get my hands on used race tires at the prices you can!

If I did, I'd consider them.

Out of curiosity, how many hours do you end up getting out of used race slicks (not r-compounds) when just lapping?
      10-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I sure don't have your connections, so I wouldn't be able to get my hands on used race tires at the prices you can!

If I did, I'd consider them.

Out of curiosity, how many hours do you end up getting out of used race slicks (not r-compounds) when just lapping?
In recent time I have never run on a non-Dot slick.The last radial slicks that I ran on were takeoff Pirelli slicks from the Porsche Turbo Cup series that ran in Canada from 88-92.I ran those on my Mustang and we would usually get 1 day of aggresive lapping out of them.We never ran enough camber to really take full advantage of those tires.

http://www.clubporsche.ca/english/mag_didier_1-2.php

At one point my 22ft snowmobile trailer was full of Hoosier DOT slicks that I had picked up after a Grand-Am race at Mosport and that stash lasted me 3 years and were also used for trade bait for other stuff that I needed.I think I got a race seat for my Camaro from that stash.I think these days you need to pay for these takeoffs and I am fortunate enough to have a great relationship with the most active road race race tire dealer up here.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
At one point my 22ft snowmobile trailer was full of Hoosier DOT slicks that I had picked up...
Nice.
      10-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Nice.
Shit.I just realized that was 15 years ago
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Shit.I just realized that was 15 years ago
How old are you?
      10-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
Full slicks + no cage = balsy!!!

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #15
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDHNTR View Post
Full slicks + no cage = balsy!!!
I did put a cage in it over the next winter as the car was tearing itself apart
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
How old are you?
55 going on 25
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #17
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
55 going on 25
Last time I was going 25 was 14 years ago.

Damn, time to have kids or something...
      10-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #18
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Last time I was going 25 was 14 years ago.

Damn, time to have kids or something...
Growing up is way overrated from what I have heard
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #19
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
55 going on 25

It just gets tiresome to "remind" you that we are at a track and its not nap time after every lapping session!

Haha - just kidding!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #20
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Growing up is way overrated from what I have heard
If we were grown ups, we wouldn't be blowing our hard earned cash on toys now, would we?
      10-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #21
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If we were grown ups, we wouldn't be blowing our hard earned cash on toys now, would we?
Apparently much to my wifes chagrin,it is part of being grown up
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #22
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
It just gets tiresome to "remind" you that we are at a track and its not nap time after every lapping session!

Quote:
Apparently much to my wifes chagrin,it is part of being grown up
I forgot about the midlife crisis line. But wait, we're not exactly driving Vettes here.