BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

06-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Oil level Not Reading

When I start my M3, and select the oil status in the small screen between my speedo and tach, it is empty. After a couple of minutes, I will get the animated clock, which presumably is the car calculating the oil level. However, after 30 minutes of this animation, I still could not get a reading! By that time, I already arrived at my destination and didn't want to wait around for the reading to appear (if ever). This has happened to me twice on the same day, once in the morning, and once in the evening.

Anybody else experiencing this problem?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

yea sometimes it takes awhile... you can thank BMW for the wonderful idea of no real dipstick.
      06-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I've owned the car for about 7 months, and sometimes it can take up to 10 minutes. But c'mon, I waited 30 min today and still no reading. That can't be normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
kyoshozx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
I've owned the car for about 7 months, and sometimes it can take up to 10 minutes. But c'mon, I waited 30 min today and still no reading. That can't be normal.
I brought my car in for an oil change at 7500, and afterwards it took like over 30 minutes for it to register and tell me they overfilled my car with oil. ARGH! luckily i knew something was wrong and i was driving very easy.
      06-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
Anybody else experiencing this problem?
Not a problem, but an idiosyncrasy. After an oil change, it always takes a while to read oil level by itself, but you can invoke it (like the manual says ).

Choose a spot where to check oil level consistently (your garage is best), and with with car idling at full operating temperature, press turn-signal stalk (in oil reading mode) for about 5 seconds and release. You should get a pretty accurate reading a few seconds later, but let car idle until you do. After that, it should register an oil level much quicker. Remember each time you turn the ignition on, oil level is reset. If you don't drive long enough to get the oil fully hot, it won't register either. Once you understand how it works, you won't have any problems. But yes, I agree it's an idiotic system ; nothing like a dipstick. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Even the P 987S don't have the oil dipstick. The only difference between BMW and Porsche is that, Porsche stated in ther manual on when is the best time to check the electronic oil level.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Electronic 'nanny' level sensors over the tried-and-true manual dipstick FTL.
      06-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Not a problem, but an idiosyncrasy. After an oil change, it always takes a while to read oil level by itself, but you can invoke it (like the manual says ).

Choose a spot where to check oil level consistently (your garage is best), and with with car idling at full operating temperature, press turn-signal stalk (in oil reading mode) for about 5 seconds and release. You should get a pretty accurate reading a few seconds later, but let car idle until you do. After that, it should register an oil level much quicker. Remember each time you turn the ignition on, oil level is reset. If you don't drive long enough to get the oil fully hot, it won't register either. Once you understand how it works, you won't have any problems. But yes, I agree it's an idiotic system ; nothing like a dipstick. Take care.

+1, you just have to wait until the oil temp is at full operating temp before you twist the switch.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

its best when warmed up and idling on a level surface. fastest reading usually a few minutes for me.
      06-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
jbeene
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshozx View Post
I brought my car in for an oil change at 7500, and afterwards it took like over 30 minutes for it to register and tell me they overfilled my car with oil. ARGH! luckily i knew something was wrong and i was driving very easy.
Same here. I turned back around about 100 feet out of the dealership and went back and sat there for an hour and a half while they drained all the oil and measured it and made sure they had put the right amount in.

They ultimately decided to replace the sensor but couldn't get the car back in for 2 weeks. In the intervening period the sensor started working properly but we decided to replace it anyway.

Has been good but has read one bar below top full since, even after 220 hard km at the track on Monday - I would have expected it to use a bit of oil...maybe I just broke it in properly?