BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-22-2023, 06:57 PM   #1
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none yet

Fuel Smell after parked for some time

Hello Friends

I am hoping someone can help shed some light. Lately, I've been smelling unburned fuel smell in the garage after it is parked for 15-20 min. Recently I drove over a speed bump which scraped my cats so I figured maybe header flange to x-pipe connection came loose and exhaust was leaking but when I got under the car, everything was tight. Even with the car running, I felt no exhaust leak while touching around connection.

It seems like the smell is coming from front driver side but I can't quite pin-point the location. I checked for fuel leak at injectors and where fuel rail line connects to the supply at the driver side firewall but everything seems to be dry and also, I don't smell fuel/gas in the engine bay after driving.

One thing to note is that smell is a lot worse when I park after driving the car for less than 15-20 min though car is fully warmed up. After a long drive ~1 hr commute, smell does not seem bad. I also can't really smell it while car is still running. No smell inside the cabin either, so it's not related to fuel pump which I saw some people had issues with.

I checked for codes and there's absolutely nothing and car runs normal. I have ESS xpipe with primary cats and Evolve stage 1 tune but I've had this for a long time and don't recall any smell till recently.

I'm a bit lost on this one. If anyone can suggest next step, I'd appreciate it!!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 12:36 AM   #2
BP709
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F97 X3m, Harrop E90 M3

Is it worse with a full tank? The tops of the fuel pump on the passengers side and the pressure regulator/filter unit on the drivers side are known to crack and leak fuel.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 08:05 AM   #3
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP709 View Post
Is it worse with a full tank? The tops of the fuel pump on the passengers side and the pressure regulator/filter unit on the drivers side are known to crack and leak fuel.
Thanks for the comment.

Are you referring to the low pressure sensors in the image? I checked this multiple times and this area is dry with car running.

Fuel pump crack I saw spring my search but this should make it smell in the cabin, right?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 08:12 AM   #4
BP709
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F97 X3m, Harrop E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by exVtekGuy View Post
Thanks for the comment.

Are you referring to the low pressure sensors in the image? I checked this multiple times and this area is dry with car running.

Fuel pump crack I saw spring my search but this should make it smell in the cabin, right?
I wasn’t talking about the low pressure sensor or line in the engine compartment. You would be able to see/smell a leak right there. You will not smell fuel in the interior if the top of the pump or the pressure reg/filter assembly crack. There are access panels that are bolted down under the rear seat with a gasket. Easy enough to remove the rear seat and access panels to check.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 02:51 PM   #5
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update:

Found driver side injector all the way in the back to be leaking. Only saw it clearly after removing the intake manifold. I had to replace the fuel rail last year and I did not replace the fuel injector gaskets then, so I guess I can only blame myself. It was not leaking right after the install but must have started due to degradation after a while. Just replaced gaskets on all of them and seems leak free after a drive. Also replaced fuel breather valve while manifold was off. Crossing fingers that they will not leak this time.
Appreciate 2
BP709246.00
      10-28-2023, 07:05 PM   #6
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by exVtekGuy View Post
Thanks for the comment.

Hope you’ve found your issue. Just as an FYI I had a cracked fuel pump in my 128i and granted, at the time I had a tight one car garage, but I could definitely smell it inside the garage even with all car windows up. In fact thats the main reason why I was able to identify the problem.
Appreciate 0