BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

EXXEL Distributions

10-31-2022, 03:33 PM   #1
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Bay Area LSD install / Pete's Gear Shop Experience?

Has anyone here used Pete's Gear Shop to get an LSD unit installed in a pumpkin? Elite and other shops are booked up / won't accept customer parts for installs.

Anyone have other Bay Area Gear Shop shop recs?
      10-31-2022, 07:33 PM   #2
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I used a shop called rearend specialties in Santa Clara 20 years ago and they really knew their stuff. Looks like they're still there.
From what I remember they did a lot of muscle car and off road stuff, but the same principles still apply to performance applications.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 11:00 PM   #3
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
I used a shop called rearend specialties in Santa Clara 20 years ago and they really knew their stuff. Looks like they're still there.
From what I remember they did a lot of muscle car and off road stuff, but the same principles still apply to performance applications.
That's great to hear, and that they're still around. I've gotten a few references for Pete's in Hayward from racers and talked to him on the phone. I feel pretty comfortable using him but wanted to triple check since it's such a specialized skillset... Even though it's pretty damn simple.
      11-01-2022, 01:22 AM   #4
tougetrained
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Subaru BRZ

The Bimmer Guys are moving into Pete's Gear Shop.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 04:20 AM   #5
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
That's great to hear, and that they're still around. I've gotten a few references for Pete's in Hayward from racers and talked to him on the phone. I feel pretty comfortable using him but wanted to triple check since it's such a specialized skillset... Even though it's pretty damn simple.
it's simple if its just a install with an already build carrier, but if you are getting it built from scratch it not, almost every part in the diff will require modifications as they all do not fit perfectly together.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 01:02 PM   #6
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
Quote:
it's simple if its just a install with an already build carrier, but if you are getting it built from scratch it not, almost every part in the diff will require modifications as they all do not fit perfectly together.
I have the fully built LSD internal unit, shims, seals, bearings, flanges, etc. + an old E9X M3 pumpkin that this will be installed in. I've done this before as a buddy let me use his shop/tools to measure backlash and engagement but I don't have time and want a professional to do this install as it's a 99% track build that'll be driven hard.

I'm using the E39 ZF LSD / E39 Flanges (very similar to the DiffsOnline setups).
      11-01-2022, 01:57 PM   #7
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
I have the fully built LSD internal unit, shims, seals, bearings, flanges, etc. + an old E9X M3 pumpkin that this will be installed in. I've done this before as a buddy let me use his shop/tools to measure backlash and engagement but I don't have time and want a professional to do this install as it's a 99% track build that'll be driven hard.

I'm using the E39 ZF LSD / E39 Flanges (very similar to the DiffsOnline setups).
i hate that you found a E39 ZF. one of the BEST street diff mods.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 07:43 PM   #8
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have a random hookup in the EU who can build them for a pretty good price with either 2, 3 or 4 clutch setups and any custom ramp angle you'd like. Obviously the ZF units aren't always easy to find but this thing will last for a long time.

I should have my unit installed this month and will report back after it's broken in

For 1/3 the price of a Drexler all-in installed it was hard to justify the higher cost of the Drexler.
      11-02-2022, 04:58 PM   #9
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have a random hookup in the EU who can build them for a pretty good price with either 2, 3 or 4 clutch setups and any custom ramp angle you'd like. Obviously the ZF units aren't always easy to find but this thing will last for a long time.

I should have my unit installed this month and will report back after it's broken in

For 1/3 the price of a Drexler all-in installed it was hard to justify the higher cost of the Drexler.
Well done. I always felt that the bmw diff offerings were overly high margin to the select few who have done the homework on how to source and build them.
I'm not knocking the companies that have done the homework and spend the time investing in getting the setups right, but if you have the knowledge to piece it together, you can save a ton of money.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 05:32 PM   #10
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well done. I always felt that the bmw diff offerings were overly high margin to the select few who have done the homework on how to source and build them.
I'm not knocking the companies that have done the homework and spend the time investing in getting the setups right, but if you have the knowledge to piece it together, you can save a ton of money.
Totally! Once I run this diff for a few events and have some data to back it up I might plan a sort of "group buy" for these.

On paper they are far superior to the $5,200 DiffsOnline 3 clutch unit and and likely close in performance to the Drexler Street (the Drexler will offer more ramp angle options since they can fit 2x the clutches) but the ZF will be much more durable.

At first LSDs seem like a dark art but there's only a few variables so as long as you're using quality parts and have a respectable builder, you can get equal quality for half the price. This builder mostly does drift builds for teams in the EU.