BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-31-2022, 10:52 AM   #1
djschmitt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 DCT, Impreza MT

H&R Lowering Springs vs Stock

I purchased my E93 with about 70k miles on the clock and it came with H&R Lowering Springs. The car looks the business but it is really riding hard on these California streets. Many times I'll go over a seam or imperfection in the road (680 through the East Bay has plenty) and the front end hits hard, rattles everything, and i am always worried i dented a rim, will pop a tire, or will jar something lose.

I'm thinking about going back to stock springs until i can do a full suspension refresh (hopefully with lightly used coilovers). Am i nuts for going back to stock springs? Could that make the ride worse if the shocks are shot? I'm thinking about pros and cons before deciding to change or leave it the same.

Thank you for your input.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 03:11 PM   #2
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

Go back to ZCP stock springs to at least get a little (10mm) bit of a drop?

At least on the E46 M3, H&R springs were awful - too much drop and not enough increate in spring rate to make up for it.

And if you or the PO didn't make other adjustments (e36 bump stops/shaving front mounts) then it's probably harsher due to increase in spring rate from being on the bumpstops constantly. What dampers? If stock, they're not able to control that large increase in spring rate (lowering springs plus bumpstop engagement).

I really like my swifts spec-r and I think Eibach is very good too, but zcp springs might be your best best.
djschmitt236.00