BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

05-26-2022, 07:57 AM   #1
bananabun
Captain
Rep
Drives: E86 M, E92 M

School me in your ways

I have extensively tracked a Z4M for the last 5 years, and consistently been the 'slightly above average' driver in the advanced run groups. Having recently sold the M coupe, I'm now very seriously considering my E92 M3 as the next track candidate.

Obviously it will be a different driving experience (I friggin love the car), so I'm looking for any input from more experienced drivers about exploring the limits of this car on track and also my plans for the build.

I drive to the track and back, so would def want to retain some creature comforts and OEM 3pt belts.

Here's what my car already has
- RBs done
- Upgraded cooling
- Some minor Dinan stuff
- EDC and lowering springs
- 18x10 squared setup
- Recently replaced engine mounts

Here's my progression plan, in order of priority
- Camber plates
- BW racing lug stud kit
- AP Racing front kit
- SS lines and brass bushings for rear brakes
- Medium stiff trans mounts (will do other bushings as they wear)
- Autosolutions SSK (already have it, just need to install)
- 200 TW tires ones I burn through the Falken 600s

Here's what I plan on slowly sourcing if used parts are available
- Cage, seats, harnesses
- Coilovers
- Additional camber, toe adjusting arms
- Swaybars? Not sure if I need these

What am I missing? What's not needed?
Any surprises, good or bad, that I'm in for?
Should I slow down on the coffee this morning?

Thanks in advance for any and all input!
Appreciate 1
rg122083.00
      05-26-2022, 09:08 AM   #2
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

That list looks pretty good to me.

Personally, I'd lower the priority of the BW Racing Lug Stud kit (and consider the Core4 stuff).

I think you'll need to address the power steering reservoir (they are known to spray down the engine bay) sooner than later.

I'd recommend a Schroth Quick Fit ASM harness for your stock seat until you get the other stuff.

I felt that solid rear subframe bushings made a HUGE improvement in the feel of the car when on track (when installing these, that would be the time to install aftermarket swaybars).

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 1
bananabun174.00
      05-26-2022, 09:36 AM   #3
bananabun
Captain
Rep

Thanks, Chris.

Didn't know that the quick fits had ASM capability. That def puts them back on the list for me, especially while I figure out a seats/harness/cage setup.

Rear subframe and diff bushings will stay on the back burner for now, but hopefully I can get to them within one season.

I have seen the F8x hub conversion and the Core4 solutions mentioned here. They're def more attractive than replacing M12 studs every year.

Question is, will it impact the AP kit and wheel fitment?
Also, wouldn't it be better to do this when I need new hubs & bearings, assuming they will wear out in 1-2 seasons?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisca455 View Post

Personally, I'd lower the priority of the BW Racing Lug Stud kit (and consider the Core4 stuff).

I think you'll need to address the power steering reservoir (they are known to spray down the engine bay) sooner than later.

I'd recommend a Schroth Quick Fit ASM harness for your stock seat until you get the other stuff.

I felt that solid rear subframe bushings made a HUGE improvement in the feel of the car when on track (when installing these, that would be the time to install aftermarket swaybars).
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 09:46 AM   #4
evilspiritM3
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2018 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
It won't impact wheel or brake fit.
      05-26-2022, 10:50 AM   #5
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

I'd do ASM Quick Fits, Camber Plates, coilovers, brakes, thrust arm monoball
      05-26-2022, 10:56 AM   #6
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabun View Post
Thanks, Chris.

Didn't know that the quick fits had ASM capability. That def puts them back on the list for me, especially while I figure out a seats/harness/cage setup.

Rear subframe and diff bushings will stay on the back burner for now, but hopefully I can get to them within one season.

I have seen the F8x hub conversion and the Core4 solutions mentioned here. They're def more attractive than replacing M12 studs every year.

Question is, will it impact the AP kit and wheel fitment?
Also, wouldn't it be better to do this when I need new hubs & bearings, assuming they will wear out in 1-2 seasons?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisca455 View Post

Awesome, I'm another ex-Z4M'er although I've had most of the recent BMW models haha. Even though the Z4M S54 is epic, I don't miss it at all with a fully tuned up S65 w/ Epic Tune.

weight reduction is huge with the lack of S65 torque + E92 weight... an Antigravity lithium battery is easily the best $/lbs ROI for weight loss.

I personally love the RT660s, running the shorter 285/30 tires will also give you an effective shorter gear ratio helping with low end torque.

I actually have a Schroth Quick fit pro that I run with my Hans device which I'll be selling once my cage arrives from the UK (ETA 4-5 weeks).

Camber plates are crucial, most folks run close to -4* up front to reduce understeer and save tire sidewall. I'd also look into front tension arm bushings/SPL arms & maybe their tie rod ends help with steering feel.

I've found that the SPL rear toe arms are a good addition mainly for ease of alignment + the eccentric lockout shims help keep your rear alignment from shifting. Without them I've seen toe changes after just 1 track day with lots of curb hopping. Seems like the front suspension setup of this car takes priority to the rear since understeer is such an issue.

Welcome to the club!
      05-26-2022, 11:30 AM   #7
bananabun
Captain
Rep

Thanks!

The prospect of tracking the E92 is the only thing that got me to sell the Z4M. I will really, really miss that car and the S54 but goddamn the M3 is something else. Every time I drive it hard on the street, I get more convinced that it will be fantastic on track.

I'm a ways off from an $800 battery, but it looks great!

I'm used to Hankook RS4 or Dunlop Direzzas on track. Will take note of the RT660 when it's time. Currently running 275 width on Arc 8 18x10...can I stretch to 285 on those wheels?

On the camber plates - Knowing my luck, a pristine used set will show up on the forums as soon as I install new plates on my EDCs lol

Hoenstly, I'm tempted to do kinematics and suspension in one go but I also promised myself to take it slow with this car. Let's see how that goes..

On your note about understeer - How do you fix it, aside from what you already mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Awesome, I'm another ex-Z4M'er although I've had most of the recent BMW models haha. Even though the Z4M S54 is epic, I don't miss it at all with a fully tuned up S65 w/ Epic Tune.

weight reduction is huge with the lack of S65 torque + E92 weight... an Antigravity lithium battery is easily the best $/lbs ROI for weight loss.

I personally love the RT660s, running the shorter 285/30 tires will also give you an effective shorter gear ratio helping with low end torque.

I actually have a Schroth Quick fit pro that I run with my Hans device which I'll be selling once my cage arrives from the UK (ETA 4-5 weeks).

Camber plates are crucial, most folks run close to -4* up front to reduce understeer and save tire sidewall. I'd also look into front tension arm bushings/SPL arms & maybe their tie rod ends help with steering feel.

I've found that the SPL rear toe arms are a good addition mainly for ease of alignment + the eccentric lockout shims help keep your rear alignment from shifting. Without them I've seen toe changes after just 1 track day with lots of curb hopping. Seems like the front suspension setup of this car takes priority to the rear since understeer is such an issue.

Welcome to the club!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 11:42 AM   #8
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks!

The prospect of tracking the E92 is the only thing that got me to sell the Z4M. I will really, really miss that car and the S54 but goddamn the M3 is something else. Every time I drive it hard on the street, I get more convinced that it will be fantastic on track.

I'm a ways off from an $800 battery, but it looks great!

I'm used to Hankook RS4 or Dunlop Direzzas on track. Will take note of the RT660 when it's time. Currently running 275 width on Arc 8 18x10...can I stretch to 285 on those wheels?

On the camber plates - Knowing my luck, a pristine used set will show up on the forums as soon as I install new plates on my EDCs lol

Hoenstly, I'm tempted to do kinematics and suspension in one go but I also promised myself to take it slow with this car. Let's see how that goes..

On your note about understeer - How do you fix it, aside from what you already mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post

Welcome to the club!
I guess camber plates would be #1 + front kinematics, try to get -3.5* minimum camber and increase caster.

I'm traveling and don't have my exact Alignment specs but there's a few threads on here with alignment suggestions from people who are much faster than me.
      05-27-2022, 02:29 PM   #9
Cmassey3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

What 18x10 track rims did you end up going with?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 02:33 PM   #10
bananabun
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmassey3 View Post
What 18x10 track rims did you end up going with?
Arc 8 18x10 ET25

I used a set of Apex Arc 8s on my Z4M for over a 100 track days. They survived multiple offs, one low speed impact, and all of the messed up roads from Boston to NY to CT to NH

Super impressive, and Apex has my business forever because of their customer service
      05-27-2022, 02:41 PM   #11
Cmassey3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Arc 8 18x10 ET25

I used a set of Apex Arc 8s on my Z4M for over a 100 track days. They survived multiple offs, one low speed impact, and all of the messed up roads from Boston to NY to CT to NH

Super impressive, and Apex has my business forever because of their customer service
Nice, I'm casually shopping for a set of track/replacements for my tired 220m rims and it really seems hard to beat Apex for performance and value.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 02:43 PM   #12
bananabun
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmassey3 View Post
Quote:
Arc 8 18x10 ET25

Nice, I'm casually shopping for a set of track/replacements for my tired 220m rims and it really seems hard to beat Apex for performance and value.
They're running a banger of a Memorial Day sale right now. Give them a call and they'll also help you narrow down on wheel type and fitment, especially if you're considering coil overs or a brake kit.
      06-03-2022, 08:15 AM   #13
bananabun
Captain
Rep

Started stripping out the rear and shedding some weight while I wait for parts to arrive. It's not the cleanest work, but I'm not done yet.

What else can I remove?
Can I remove the rear door cards while retaining the speakers?
How can I carry wheels and tools in the car, while also not damaging all the exposed harnesses and wiring?
I might keep the front center console. Anybody have ideas on how to cover the ac vent? Pretty sure that my shop rag idea won't hold up lol
Attached Images

06-03-2022, 08:47 AM   #14
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Haha - Love that you opted to work with what you already had!

Ditch those rear speakers (no one is back there anyhow) along with the door cards. Pull all that carpet up. The rear deck and again speakers. Remove all the foam in the back. I'd keep the heavy firm trunk liner (10lbs) if you're transporting anything to the track. It's really nice and solid for wheels, gas, you name it. Can always remove it at the track. Obviously less important if you intend to tow.

You can get a e90 back console end piece if you want to retain the look and functionality of the vent.
      06-03-2022, 09:02 AM   #15
bananabun
Captain
Rep

Haha yes! I remember your comment on my FS thread, too. Didn't want to wait around forever for the right car, and I didn't overpay for this one so decided to just go for it. Plus, it already has all the cooling stuff and RBs addressed.

I'll keep the speakers and rear carpet for now, but good to know that those are other low-hanging fruit here. I do not want to tow, and will set this car up to be street+track.

Heavy trunk liner will work great for storage in the back until it gets wet. I'll use it for the first couple track days and see how I like it.

Do you cover the battery at all? It was fairly exposed in my Z4M, too, but it wasn't in a recessed compartment. Worried about loading wet things into the trunk, but maybe I'm also overthinking it.

Also, great to know about the e90 console piece. Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Haha - Love that you opted to work with what you already had!

Ditch those rear speakers (no one is back there anyhow) along with the door cards. Pull all that carpet up. The rear deck and again speakers. Remove all the foam in the back. I'd keep the heavy firm trunk liner (10lbs) if you're transporting anything to the track. It's really nice and solid for wheels, gas, you name it. Can always remove it at the track. Obviously less important if you intend to tow.

You can get a e90 back console end piece if you want to retain the look and functionality of the vent.
      06-03-2022, 09:28 AM   #16
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
I don't cover the battery, but would be careful about what I loaded regarding moisture.

Get scotch guard spray and empty a whole can onto the felt / carpet liner. Should help with first defense against moisture.
      06-04-2022, 08:55 PM   #17
bananabun
Captain
Rep

Today, I wanted to install the AP Racing brake, rebuild the rear calipers with ss lines and brass bushings, and also install the tie rods that I bought from derbo.

Instead, I ended up spending 4 hours on this stripped out, rusted to hell, amazingly resilient satan's screw.

You know what it is, and why it's a PITA. Anybody got ideas? I've tried speedy out, different sockets, impact screwdrivers, PB blast, a prayer to baby Jesus, and now I've drilled it but the drill won't penetrate past where I've gotten.

FML
Attached Images

06-04-2022, 08:56 PM   #18
bananabun
Captain
Rep

Oh and of course you can see that I damaged the lip on the hub, too. Will that be okay, or is this an excuse to get f80 or core4 hubs? Lol

Last edited by bananabun; 06-04-2022 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 09:08 PM   #19
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Oh and of course you can see that I damaged the lip on the hub, too. Will that be okay, or is this an excuse to get f80 or core4 hubs? Lol
dang man. Go get Core4
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
Appreciate 3
DRLane4058.50
bananabun174.00
Davisca4552219.50
      06-04-2022, 09:22 PM   #20
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Yeah new hubs! I've been running their m12 version for 2 season with no issues. I know everyone loves the raunchy m14 studs, but just saying.
derbo3656.50
      06-04-2022, 09:32 PM   #21
bananabun
Captain
Rep

Thanks derbo and DRLane for being such good enablers
      06-04-2022, 09:49 PM   #22
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Thanks derbo and DRLane for being such good enablers
Wait till you start talking more in the Discord...
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
Appreciate 1