BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-19-2021, 08:55 AM   #1
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

So I dropped a chunk of wood and of course it bounced off the ground and hit the rear quarter of my car. It's a small dent and I have a satin wrap on the car so you really can't see it but I know it's there and when the wrap is off you'll be able to see it a lot better.

I called a PDR guy and he said he'd have to drill a hole in the wheel well to access it but I said that's not gonna happen. Especially with all the advancements of PDR tools.

So I found that the E92 has a sheet medal panel in the rear from the inside of the car that looks to be screwed in and I'm wondering if the convertibles have that same panel? The dent is right behind where the panel might be.

I've attached a pic of a car with the quarter panel cut out and a pic of where my dent is. Again you can't see it in the pic because of the wrap and the lighting but it's there.

So does the convertible have that same panel?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Bloody irritating, first you park miles away and make all sorts of effort to avoid damages just to put a dent there yourself. Happened to me as well, luckily I have a dentmaster who can make wonders. Find one.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 10:54 AM   #3
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Can you access from the rear window? How about if you remove the taillight?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:56 AM   #4
tbuck
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2016 F23 M235i

PDR is the first step I would take, certainly before tearing the interior out to see if you could get to it. If it is just a dent, not a crease, they should be able to get it almost totally out. Much cheaper as well. Good luck!
      10-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #5
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throatpunch View Post
Can you access from the rear window? How about if you remove the taillight?
Might be able to get it from the rear window. The dent is in front of the rear wheel so access through the tail light might be possible but s long way to travel.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #6
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuck View Post
PDR is the first step I would take, certainly before tearing the interior out to see if you could get to it. If it is just a dent, not a crease, they should be able to get it almost totally out. Much cheaper as well. Good luck!
Yeah, I've been talking to a PDR guy and I want to give him every advantage possible. Talking the rear panels out is only a few clips and screws. I wrapped the car by myself and broke all kinds of clips so I definitely have extra.

No high spots or creases in the dent so I'd imagine that they could get it out with those hot glue pullers. But again if it makes it easier I'll take apart anything I can, opposed to him forcing it to work. He talked about going at it through the window but I'd rather not have tools bouncing around and tearing up seals or whatever else.

He's also concerned about the wrap because he'd use heat on the medal to help soften it and get better results but I couldn't care less about the wrap. I'd rather have it come out clean and rewrap it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:52 PM   #7
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I'd get another opinion from someone else that specializes in PDR.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 04:15 PM   #8
tbuck
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2016 F23 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Yeah, I've been talking to a PDR guy and I want to give him every advantage possible. Talking the rear panels out is only a few clips and screws. I wrapped the car by myself and broke all kinds of clips so I definitely have extra.

No high spots or creases in the dent so I'd imagine that they could get it out with those hot glue pullers. But again if it makes it easier I'll take apart anything I can, opposed to him forcing it to work. He talked about going at it through the window but I'd rather not have tools bouncing around and tearing up seals or whatever else.

He's also concerned about the wrap because he'd use heat on the medal to help soften it and get better results but I couldn't care less about the wrap. I'd rather have it come out clean and rewrap it.
Yeah, I was just thinking the wrap will undoubtedly get trashed. There is really no reason to go inside on a simple dent like that, and as you said, I would not want someone messing around inside and perhaps damage something else.
      10-19-2021, 08:47 PM   #9
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well I took the interior panels out and there really isn't access via a panel like the pic I posted. It's pretty much solid stamped sheet metal. There is tons of foam and insulation and other sound dampening crap though. I'd bet you could lose 100 lbs if one were to remove it all.

Anyway if I find a good tech I wager that they'd be able to reach the inside of the dent from the window opening.

Only broke 1 clip though. That's pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:52 PM   #10
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Yes, remove the interior door card and it will be easy access.
      10-19-2021, 09:09 PM   #11
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Yes, remove the interior door card and it will be easy access.
Done.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:00 AM   #12
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I’ve had a couple of these on my coupe. For one I removed the interior door panel so he had full access from the inside but another (better) PDR guy just went through the rear wheel well. He said this was the best way and was a lot less work for me as all I did was take off the wheel for him.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 08:49 AM   #13
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
I've had a couple of these on my coupe. For one I removed the interior door panel so he had full access from the inside but another (better) PDR guy just went through the rear wheel well. He said this was the best way and was a lot less work for me as all I did was take off the wheel for him.
Is there access through the wheel well? This dude is telling me he'd have to cut holes in there. That's not gonna happen. I'd rather stud weld the dent and re spray the panel.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 09:17 AM   #14
bmwm3s65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E90 M3 6spd

Do you guys usually have a mobile pdr come to your house or do you bring your cars somewhere and have it done? can a mobile pdr be just as good as one that you bring your car to?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 09:25 AM   #15
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3s65 View Post
Do you guys usually have a mobile pdr come to your house or do you bring your cars somewhere and have it done? can a mobile pdr be just as good as one that you bring your car to?
They come in all shapes and forms. They really don't need a shop to do the work. I would prefer then to do my car in a shop where the lighting is more consistent. They use specific lights to see all the crowns and low spots and the lights probably wouldn't do the job satisfactorily outside in the sun.

The guy I was talking to is mobile and said he specializes in exotic cars and has 20 something years of experience. But he told me that he only takes cash. So I said no thank you. To me that means he's probably not insured and or he might just do it on the side. I'm sure he could be good at it but cash is scetchy.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 11:18 AM   #16
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Is there access through the wheel well? This dude is telling me he'd have to cut holes in there. That's not gonna happen. I'd rather stud weld the dent and re spray the panel.
Just an FYI when you trade in a car to the dealer they call a pdr guy and wheel repair and bumper guy and refinish them. Usually pdr guys will drill a hole and plug it with a grommet.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #17
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throatpunch View Post
Quote:
Just an FYI when you trade in a car to the dealer they call a pdr guy and wheel repair and bumper guy and refinish them. Usually pdr guys will drill a hole and plug it with a grommet.
I know but it's not gonna happen on my watch.
Appreciate 0