BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

INDustry distribution

12-30-2020, 07:35 PM   #1
Epoustouflant
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Epoustouflant's Build Journal / Stripper Spec Fire Orange E92 M3 ZCP

Epoustouflant's Build Journal
IG @m3_epoustouflant

Table of Contents
  1. The Genesis: My 1st M3 (2012-2015)
  2. My Stripper's Maiden Voyage (Part 1)
  3. My Stripper's Maiden Voyage (Part 2)
  4. My Stripper's Maiden Voyage (Part 3)
  5. The Porsche Stay Over (coming soon)

Introduction
Lots of you guys know me from M3post and the social media groups as the Group Buy Seinsei; Epoustouflant. Real name is Matt

Finally decided to get on with the program; putting my thoughts and ideas down as a build journal for my M3 on the forums, and building my car's own Instagram @m3_epoustouflant

My Background
I have been in and out of the automotive industry for 15 years as an entrepreneur at various angles as an importer, distributor, manufacturer and marketer.

The automotive industry is back to being a hobby as I have transitioned to tech startups, a move that has reignited my passion for the industry, and our legendary platform.

Why Group Buys?
The Spring 2020 lockdowns changed our lives and it personally created lots of time to fill in my life.

I couldn't help it - I started working my network in Europe to find rare parts for my personal M3, and it built into various group buys with over 250 members ultimately participating.

Thanks to all of you for helping me making this happen - it's a lot of work, but incredibly rewarding to see other builds in the community happening with a little bit of my help. I'm grateful for your support as it helps further my build with your participation in group buys.

Goals with the Build Journal
This thread will be a place to share my build, hone in my copywriting with personal automotive stories, connect with other members, contribute to our body of knowledge, learn some photography and build upon our common success in group buys to get more suppliers on board looking to reach our enthusiasts group of the best M3 generation ever

Starting this off with a legendary spot in Montreal's car scene; Orange Julep my guys

Let's have some fun.

Cheers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Epoustouflant; 02-10-2021 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 7
      12-30-2020, 08:02 PM   #2
Epoustouflant
Canada
Rep

The Genesis

2012-2015: my 1st M3
Back in 2012, I bought my first E92 M3.

Canada is a somewhat small market for M3s and any enthusiast's searches needs to be nation wide to find the proper car with our desired specs matching our budget. Back in 2012, the E9X M3 was on its way out yet cars were still heavily depreciating as late models were sitting on dealership lots; it was a great time to buy as cars were relatively new and still under warranty.

I looked across all sites and listings to eventually discover a barn find hidden away in the rural outskirts of a small town in New Brunswick, Canada. The car was owned by an ER doctor who hid the car and only drove it on evenings or weekends outside the city as to avoid unwanted attention. He drove a beater Golf to blend in.

It was a 2009 E92 M3 6MT finished in Space Grey Metallic with all available options; Premium Package, M-Drive, EDC, Enhanced Sound, Rear Sunshade, 220M wheels and best of all, an extended warranty on a car sitting at 40,000km priced at 47,000$ CAD.

Flew out to Saint-John's and was picked up by the doc in his Golf at the airport. Arriving at his barn, he clicked the door opener - silence, there it was - the infamous hips and 4 tail pipe rear end flaunting its muscular yet appealing stance.

The car was mint and hadn't been driven in weeks. He pops the door while I'm still staring 6 feet away and turns it on, chaos ensues.

Rough start.

It started clacking as all S65s that have sat a while do - easier to say in retrospect knowing these cars in and out. Valves were heard knocking as oil warmed up and started moving up to the heads. Cold start sequence eventually ran its course and chaos subsided to a low, gentle V8 rumble.

What a rollercoaster of feelings, yet I hadn't even drove the car. Welcome to M3 V8 ownership.

One can imagine what goes through the mind of my then 22 year old self: Just, give, me, the, keys.

To be continued.
Attached Images

Last edited by Epoustouflant; 12-30-2020 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 7
SAMM3Y2160.50
wyatth1815.50
DanMpower2192.00
slcook54144.00
Ajolives226.50
Msidhu131.50

12-30-2020, 09:39 PM   #3
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Glad to see you start a build thread!
      12-30-2020, 09:43 PM   #4
Epoustouflant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
Glad to see you start a build thread!
I should probably call it bedtime stories 🤪

Thanks for joining in!
Appreciate 1
94jedi689.00

12-30-2020, 09:50 PM   #5
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Wow I bet at 22 picking that bad boy up would have been quite..... breathtaking?! 😏
      12-30-2020, 11:15 PM   #6
derbo
Derbo Tuning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

lol should've make liek 20 reserved posts
      12-30-2020, 11:24 PM   #7
Epoustouflant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
lol should've make liek 20 reserved posts
Gotta learn from ya 😂

*inserts table of contents to OP*
Appreciate 1
derbo2172.50

12-31-2020, 01:23 AM   #8
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Great post Ep. Car looks great
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2020, 03:24 PM   #9
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

*group says* hiiiii maaaatt.
      12-31-2020, 05:29 PM   #10
Gossypiboma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoustouflant View Post
Epoustouflant's Build Journal
[I][URL="https://www.instagram.com/m3_epoustouflant/"]

Why Group Buys?
The Spring 2020 lockdowns changed our lives and it personally created lots of time to fill in my life.

I couldnít help it - I started working my network in Europe to find rare parts for my personal M3, and it built into various group buys with over 250 members ultimately participating.

Thanks to all of you for helping me making this happen - itís a lot of work, but incredibly rewarding to see other builds in the community happening with a little bit of my help.
I've always loved LRP E92's.

Well yes, but its not all altruism. You found a clever way to build your car with free parts and money from those GB's.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 06:24 PM   #11
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Let's not taint his thread with that.
Appreciate 1
DRLane1089.50

12-31-2020, 06:48 PM   #12
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If he works in a deal to get rewarded for his work, I'm ok with that. Did I get a great deal? All I really care about.

Besides...
Attached Images

94jedi689.00
PTRAN157.00

12-31-2020, 07:34 PM   #13
Epoustouflant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
If he works in a deal to get rewarded for his work, I'm ok with that. Did I get a great deal? All I really care about.

Besides...
Art of the deal! 😂

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post

I've always loved LRP E92's.

Well yes, but its not all altruism. You found a clever way to build your car with free parts and money from those GB's.
It's a stripper spec Individual Fire Orange, we didn't get LRP in Canada

I'll take the second part as a compliment and provide some perspective if I may.

There's value for manufacturers in sales volume, marketing exposure, product improvements and being supported by a member with experience in the industry that isn't looking to profit from this outside of parts for his personal build.

I have turned down every single offer to distribute products as a business. I would need to increase prices to cover costs and actually evaluate my time per the bottom line.

There's significant value for members via great pricing (25-35% off - the average wholesale discount) and access to manufacturers that are unknown here, as well as having a 3rd party to handle any issues with suppliers. Believe me, they happen, long after GBs are closed and products were delivered.

We can debate altruism, but we can't debate the value that's provided to everyone involved. I operate these at a loss when you factor time, shipping, duties and installation costs. If it wasn't for some fort of altruism, I wouldn't do these.

Case in point, I'm still excited about seeing you guys getting a quality Carbon Fiber driveshaft for an insane price that I helped put together.

Keep in mind there are no freebies unless sizeable thresholds are reached. There are GBs in which I didn't reach those. I don't mind at all because I take pride and I am grateful for members that participated, trusted me, and shared their build's progress with my involvement, albeit small.

The only way I'd ever break even, if I ever do, is if I'd resell those when I'll part out the car. By joining my thread's subscriptions, you'll find out I have plans to pass along the keys in my will 🤪

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Let's not taint his thread with that.
It's alright to clear the air.

I can only hope I can bring a supplier on board for a GB he'd want to participate in and see what's it's about.

I'm glad to see other members organizing group buys and using similar techniques as I did. If I helped any member think of products we could have great deals on, I'm a happy camper.

The more the merrier.
Appreciate 3
DRLane1089.50
Exclusivs420.50
PTRAN157.00

12-31-2020, 07:41 PM   #14
Gossypiboma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT

Quote:

Besides...

I completely agree, im not against it in the least.

Its just a little cringy for someone to go out of their way to post the benevolent reasons behind the GB's when that's half the story.

No one is going to fault you for profiting off of the group buys, its just strange there seems to be an attempt to mask them as doing it purley for the community.

I admit its an ingenious way to get car parts.
Appreciate 1
acarr6245.50

12-31-2020, 07:43 PM   #15
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Time is money!!
      12-31-2020, 07:51 PM   #16
Epoustouflant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Besides...

Its just a little cringy for someone to go out of their way to post the benevolent reasons behind the GB's when that's half the story.

No one is going to fault you for profiting off of the group buys, its just strange there seems to be an attempt to mask them as doing it purley for the community.

Read my previous post.

Nothing "hidden" about it, otherwise how would you know? I shared that information to get constructive feedback from members, which helped shape new GBs.

Doing this for the community and connecting with a bunch of members on a personal level is 90% of this. Free parts only happen if I actually provide value to everyone involved over myself.

It's weird to see you passing judgment on my character over a misconception. If I was in this for the money, I'd be riding the bus living at my parents with how my time is valued.

I've added clarification to my OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Time is money!!
I wish 😂 I make up for it elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 08:04 PM   #17
slcook54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3

Quote:
Quote:

Besides...

Let the guy start a build thread. In the last two months I've seen him coordinate group buys on some highly coveted parts (CF hood, trunk, GTS lip, GT4 wing, lightweight flywheel, etc.) That is adding value to the community, these deals don't get brokered by themselves. Tune down the cynicism, we're here to see a build.
Appreciate 4
Exclusivs420.50
PTRAN157.00
rhyary626.00

12-31-2020, 08:20 PM   #18
Redd
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Exactly right. I don't think Epos ever presented himself as doing charity. If he's able to nego for free parts from the supplier then more power to him. I get a good deal, supplier gets a volume purchase, he gets free stuff. Win-win-win.
Appreciate 5
Exclusivs420.50
slcook54144.00
roastbeef8253.50
94jedi689.00

01-01-2021, 11:49 AM   #19
Epoustouflant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Exactly right. I don't think Epos ever presented himself as doing charity. If he's able to nego for free parts from the supplier then more power to him. I get a good deal, supplier gets a volume purchase, he gets free stuff. Win-win-win.
Thanks! You summarized my intentions very well.

I'd also add it bolsters M3post's user base as I've noticed recent owners are mostly on Facebook Groups and aren't aware we exist or if they do, don't participate.

I'm glad Jason and the M3post team have allowed these to continue. I really believe it's a win for everyone.

Now back to the drawing board and copywriting desk, I need to pump out *content*.

Happy new year my guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #20
acarr6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

This is off to a fire start! (Haha). Anyways, interested to see how your car comes together!

01-31-2021, 08:54 AM   #21
Epoustouflant
Canada
Rep

My stripper's maiden voyage : Part

My stripper's maiden voyage : Part 1

This isn't what you think it is.

I bought my 2nd M3 in November 2018. Coming from Porsche 987.2 ownership, I missed the savageness of the S65 and it's all around'er nature ever since I sold my first E92 6SPD in 2015.

It is, in my very humble opinion, peak BMW M powertrain development. A true one off engine with its legendary MDCT transmission, better than anything Porsche was doing in 2007.

There will never be anything like this.

My lust for another M3 was different this time around. I wanted a future classic, it had to be a Skittles car; Santorini Blue, Japan Red or Fire Orange.

I admired Fire Orange ever since BMW announced the GTS version. Unfortunately, as a Northerner (that's Canadian for you internationals) - we didn't get the LimeRock edition.

However we did have a clever dealership in Calgary who used the BMW Individual Program to order a limited run of less than 10 Fire Orange E92 M3 ZCPs fitted at port with all M Performance gloss black trim.

I bought this car sight unseen from Montreal - it was at BMW of Kelowna, a dealership I wouldn't recommend to anyone, full story for another time.

I flew out to Vancouver for a quick a
vacation and picked up the car in Kelowna a few days later. A one owner car with 70,000km on it.

This M3 is a Civic edition, or Stripper Spec, depending on which side of the fence you stand.

No navigation, no premium package, no back up sensors, no rear sunshade, no power mirrors, limited power seats along with ZCP package, speed cloth seats, carbon leather trims and MDCT as the only weight increasing option - worth every single kilo added.

I drove the car cross country for over 5,000 km in about 4 days, crossing the Rockies at night, in a snowstorm - on Audi R8 fitment Pirelli winter tires that were far too wide at the rear. Truckers thought I was crazy, in retrospect, I can see why. I crossed the entry point with 270km of fuel left in the tank.

Next fuel station: 250km.

I made it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
DRLane1089.50
slcook54144.00
MULLET19.00
Msidhu131.50

01-31-2021, 09:39 AM   #22
DRLane
Major
Rep

Skittles car! Do you have a factory weight on this degree of stripper?

Wow, It can be intense drive on Highway 1 over Rogers Pass and through Banff in a 4 wheel drive car. I can't imagine in an M3. I would've been gripped! I wish BC would let me move there.