BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

10-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
A97Snipe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 Jerez Blk

Bad Economy = renegotiate?

Given the dreadful economy, anyone out there with a car on order thinking they should re-negotiate the price once their car arrives? Market down a bunch, job losses, etc. There just cannot be that many people looking for cars right now.
      10-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: g16M850;f30M550;f80M3-ED;e90M3

Well... how would you feel if someone tried to renegotiate a deal to you and either asked you to pay more money for something that you had a deal on or asked you to take less money for something that you were offering and had already agreed to a price on???

Just something to think about!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
I don't know. But, it is the same thing if you are to cancel a deal , they will decrease the price just to move the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
ronnie dobbs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan

I know exactly how you feel because I was in the same situation. Keep in mind that it is really no different than if you decided not to take the car, which is basically what I did. My car came in in July and between the time I ordered and when the car was delivered, a lot had changed (including the sedan facelift which really annoyed me). Anyway, I just decided not to take the car, and two months later, once I finally sold my previous car and the 0.9% rate came out, I called my dealer back. He said he still had the car and offered it up at a much better deal. He never even mentioned our previously discussed price. I think the dealers understand what is going on as well.

Ordering a car is sort of like a unilateral contract. It really is your option to buy when it comes in and most dealers make this clear. It's more of a situation of consumers having the upper hand here. Also, I don't think anyone could have predicted we'd be where we are today two months ago. Good luck with whatever you decide.
      10-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
madjmonkee
Gold Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 DCT

I just renegotiated my deal on my '09 due in next week
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
runutzzzzz
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 M5

It's not fair but most car dealers will screw you if given the chance so why not renegotiate a better price for you!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
rmmcdaniel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3

I'm struggling with the same thing. I agreed to pricing terms with my dealer when I placed my initial order in Feb and now am going to take delivery in Nov. It's hard for me to stomach handing over extra cash when I could walk away from this order, go to another dealer, and score a great deal.

I'm thinking about seeing what kind of deal I could get from other dealers in the area and then just be upfront with my CA to see what he'll do. I might say I won't take delivery at our negotiated price without giving me $xxxx for my trade-in, which essentially would achieve the same end result.

I'd like to think of myself as better than the stereotypical car salesman that would screw you over without a second thought, but I don't want to be such a moral do-gooder that I screw myself too!
      10-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
Bronx Cheer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan

I had the situation on my '09 where I ordered it in the summer without pricing and an agreement that we would see where things stood upon delivery. The dealer was obviously thinking MSRP and demand would go up, but the situation drastically favored me. They still have the same '08s sitting on their lot from the summer.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #9
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

It's a tough spot to be in. I'm very much for honoring the handshake agreement I came to with my CA more than 4 months ago, but it would cost me a couple grand. That's nothing to sneeze at. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm also concerned that we could see financing offers on '09 models in the near future.
      10-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #10
rmmcdaniel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm also concerned that we could see financing offers on '09 models in the near future.
I agree. My car has been sitting at the port in Bremerhaven for over a week and while I have been frustrated it's not on a boat on it's way over, the delay has guaranteed I will take delivery in November and the thought has crossed my mind that Nov might bring financing deals on '09s if the '08s get cleared out this month. Fingers crossed!
      10-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #11
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plnwu View Post
Given the dreadful economy, anyone out there with a car on order thinking they should re-negotiate the price once their car arrives? Market down a bunch, job losses, etc. There just cannot be that many people looking for cars right now.
incentives are better now, perhaps the dealer should charge everyone more.
      10-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #12
xrayos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 AW/BLK

remember, nice guys will finish last. If your finances have changed then look after you and your family. Renegotiate, cancel, or do what ever it takes to protect your family.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 12:42 AM   #13
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

YES! I did it in June.
      10-11-2008, 01:38 AM   #14
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayos View Post
remember, nice guys will finish last. If your finances have changed then look after you and your family. Renegotiate, cancel, or do what ever it takes to protect your family.
This is funny, protecting your family by purchasing a $60k+ performance car at a few grand less?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #15
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
This is funny, protecting your family by purchasing a $60k+ performance car at a few grand less?
I think he was saying don't get the car.
      10-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #16
Juano11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 DCT Coupe

I haven't ordered mine yet, but renegotiating the deal after the car arrives seems dishonest to me.

If a dealer tried to do it the other way around, you would be on here complaining and, justifiably, angry. You'd probably never deal with that dealership again. I know that I wouldn't.

You've ordered a great car at a price that you were happy with. Wait for the car and pay for it when it arrives. I guarantee that you'll enjoy the process much more.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #17
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juano11 View Post
I haven't ordered mine yet, but renegotiating the deal after the car arrives seems dishonest to me.

If a dealer tried to do it the other way around, you would be on here complaining and, justifiably, angry. You'd probably never deal with that dealership again. I know that I wouldn't.

You've ordered a great car at a price that you were happy with. Wait for the car and pay for it when it arrives. I guarantee that you'll enjoy the process much more.
renegotiating a deal when everything else has stayed the same is dishonest
trying to renegtogiate a deal when the economy has taken a serious downturn and when the whole outlook looks less rosy i think is somewhat justified
i wouldn't do it to save like $500
but if i was going to save 2K $ then i would have to do it
plan B would be to cancel the order
and judging by how many 08s are still on dealer lots
the dealer giving you a break might make more sense to him
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #18
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If you or anyone else can afford a M3, then the economy does not affect you.

Find a dealer that will give you bottom prices. Don't back out and renegotiate.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #19
avbw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06' M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juano11 View Post

Agree with Juano11, it is simple as if the economy does affect you, cancel the order, if not, take the car because both of you and the dealer have an pucharse agreement.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #20
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

tell the dealer with the stock market falling you are getting cold feet and will probably walk away from the deal. see what he comes back with. is it fair when a dealer adds a "mark-up" on cars that are in-demand????? what comes around goes around. bmw dealers are getting CRUSHED (as are every other mfg's). tell em you are not gonna take delivery and i bet you get a new price that day.
      10-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #21
xrayos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 AW/BLK

I agree with darkalley. Just be prepared to walk away. I'm sure you'll get the car for the price that you want. everyone is in pain. even the Nissan dealers with GTRs on their showrooms are lower prices.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #22
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalley View Post
tell the dealer with the stock market falling you are getting cold feet and will probably walk away from the deal. see what he comes back with. is it fair when a dealer adds a "mark-up" on cars that are in-demand????? what comes around goes around. bmw dealers are getting CRUSHED (as are every other mfg's). tell em you are not gonna take delivery and i bet you get a new price that day.

Well, most dealers, like me, are selling at invoice. so, you won't get much hassle from many dealers. We know the market sucks, we know people are hesistant, we know that money is tight, we know , we know , we know.

So, just shop around i guess.
Appreciate 0