BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

07-23-2020, 01:54 AM   #1
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
Advice! Turning a stock E92 into a force on the street?

So I was always the one to say "I'm only doing aesthetic mods to my car", but my friend just got a '19 GT PP2 and I don't wanna get smoked...

I'm starting a list to make my car a force to be reckoned with on the street, without supercharging it or doing serious engine work, and keeping the appearance OEM+. The thing is, I have no idea how to go about this.

For aesthetic starters, the car is going to have a high kick spoiler, and the Mporium skidplate with a GTS style lip. After that, I'm lost lol.

I have 69k miles on the car, 2011 E92, babied, tracked once by the previous owner. Do I need to get the RB's taken care of before even thinking about this stuff? The plan is to do it before 80k anyway.

ECU tune - Evolve? For someone new to ECU stuff, what should I think about? I want the power gain and some of the other cool stuff, top speed limiter delete, higher redline, any other suggestions? How do the DCT tunes work? How does a race fuel setup work and is it worth it? Is running E85 or 93 a good idea?

Body stability - Sway bars? Anything else?

Exhaust - This is one of those things I don't want to spend a lot of money on, and I don't want the car to be obnoxious or a pain in the ass. Is catless the only way to get any good benefits?

Wheels/Tires - I have spacers and 275x255 4S's and am thinking about 285x265 next time I get tires. How do those fit on 359's? I was tempted to get EC-7's and put 295x275, but that's the next level and I like the look of the 359's. I also like the look of 19's over 18's. I guess 18's with square tires is a good track setup?

Yep this is a lot. I would love to document it on here if I end up going through with the transformation! Maybe there are some threads on here with people doing exactly what I want to, I'll search around but wanted to put this post up here so I can have conversation.

Thanks all
      07-23-2020, 05:58 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Maybe do some searching so you can learn more about the things you are thinking about doing. As you wrote, you are pretty much lost apart from a couple of cosmetic mods, and have grand plans. There is loads of information in this subforum.
Appreciate 2
      07-23-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
Not Sure
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingBavaria View Post
So I was always the one to say "I'm only doing aesthetic mods to my car", but my friend just got a '19 GT PP2 and I don't wanna get smoked...
so what if you get smoked. there's always a faster car.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Before you do any mods, learn to drive the car at 100% of its potential. Invest first in you. Get a Dragy or Vbox and see if you can do consistent launches of 0-60 in 3.9 seconds (with 1-foot rollout). You will need good tires and rear tire pressure in the 20's to do this.

This car requires you to stay at high rpms. Make sure you are practicing you roll-ons and shift points.

Have you ever raced on a track? You will gain invaluable information about the potential of the car in safer conditions where you can drive much faster in corners and straights than possible on most streets.

For today's standards, this is not a fast sports car at all. But it has amazing chassis dynamics and for the money, the engine / DCT combo is unbelievably fun and engaging. Most of us have it for that reason. We arent interested in racing on the street. But when the streets are empty we like to push a little. Good luck.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 2
Space Fox1042.00
GeorgeA756.50
      07-23-2020, 08:57 AM   #5
Kwike92M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Supercharged

If you want to go fast, your only option is supercharging.

1. ESS G1 Kit will put you around the 600hp mark, but torque is still low. ($10,000. +/-)
2. Do your rod bearings. Doesnt give you more HP, just keeps you from sending a piston into the atmosphere ($2,300)
3. DCT Tune ($500)
4. Corsa Exhaust ($1800)

So all in, youre $14-15k and you will likely get smoked by a new mustang GT with full bolt on. If you bought this car to be the fastest, youre going to be extremely disappointed. I have a supercharged M3, and while i know its definitely not the fastest, I think it is one of the cleanest, and most timeless looking cars on the road. The exhaust note is by far one of the greatest sounds produced by a car, and the interior and driving experience is almost unmatched (especially for $30k price point). Im sure i will catch quite a bit of flack for this, but the DCT trans is a blast to drive as well. I love this car.

But if you want speed and speed only, trade the M3 for a z06 Corvette, and then invest in some jean shorts and some white new balances.
I dont know about you, but I take a little pride in NOT driving the same thing as everyone else in my town that can get 84 month financing for the newest v8 mustang/camaro/challenger/charger.

Last edited by Kwike92M3; 07-24-2020 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: cant type
Appreciate 2
      07-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The white new balances should have Velcro instead of laces.
Appreciate 3
Bartledoo2691.50
ATLIEN546.00
      07-23-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
MVEED3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Your goals would be met by selling/trading for an M4. The e92 M3 serves a different purpose.
2013 HP4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #8
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

the car in NA form is down on power compared to more recent cars. i think it wouldn't be very productive your goal is to "make my car a force to be reckoned with on the street" if you keep the car NA...

like what Longboarder said i think you will be happier if your goal is to enjoy it on race track / savour the handling and the high-reving engine of the car...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #9
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

You probably need to supercharge to keep up with a GT PP2 (unless ALWAYS in the right gear)

You'll still be behind with anything short of it.

Different cars for different purposes.

Why do you feel the need to be a "force on the street"? Only kids race on the street.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #10
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

mod 1 - buy an f80

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 1
Space Fox1042.00
      07-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #11
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
I thought the original post was clear enough with my intentions.

I'll start with I understand the E9X is a dated car, but I don't see why I shouldn't want to change that with "bolt on" style mods and tunes to get any sort of edge I can get over stock. If I can't gap a PP2, oh well at least I know what the car is capable of with some extra modifications.

Maybe the title should've been a force on the street as far as E9X's and the average everyday sports car is concerned. I just want the car to perform better than it already does without supercharging it.

I am not against tracking it either, that's just not my intention of the mods. Maybe my experience has been different than all of you, but if I'm at a light next to anything remotely sporty, it's a race off the light. This is the first fun car I've ever owned, and I want to enjoy it to it's full potential within what's reasonable, and spending thousands of dollars to have it supercharged is not my goal with it.

And I'm not buying an F8X. I want an M2C in the future, but will never get an F8X. No character, I don't care how fast they are.
      07-23-2020, 12:55 PM   #12
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I'll start with I understand the E9X is a dated car, but I don't see why I shouldn't want to change that with "bolt on" style mods and tunes to get any sort of edge I can get over stock. If I can't gap a PP2, oh well at least I know what the car is capable of with some extra modifications.

Maybe the title should've been a force on the street as far as E9X's and the average everyday sports car is concerned. I just want the car to perform better than it already does without supercharging it.

I am not against tracking it either, that's just not my intention of the mods. Maybe my experience has been different than all of you, but if I'm at a light next to anything remotely sporty, it's a race off the light. This is the first fun car I've ever owned, and I want to enjoy it to it's full potential within what's reasonable, and spending thousands of dollars to have it supercharged is not my goal with it.

And I'm not buying an F8X. I want an M2C in the future, but will never get an F8X. No character, I don't care how fast they are.
If you like stop light drags, this is the wrong car. Nevertheless, it can be ok with lots of practice and trial/error with a GPS device to ensure you are doing it the right way. Most people will never be able to drive the potential of the car unless they practice and evaluate the data.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #13
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
The white new balances should have Velcro instead of laces.
My favorite (non-fireproof) track shoes are velcro lmao. Found them at a Nordstrom Rack for $15. I think they may hold the E9X+ M3 lap records at my local tracks.
      07-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #14
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Maybe my experience has been different than all of you, but if I'm at a light next to anything remotely sporty, it's a race off the light.
Quite possibly the worst way to demonstrate the M3s capabilities and also set yourself up for a losing race.

A stock Golf R will eat your lunch off the line.

I'd stop trying to beat Dom Turetto and enjoy the car for what it is.

but since you asked...test pipes, engine and dct tune is a good place to start.

Last edited by Ab28; 07-23-2020 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
Space Fox1042.00
      07-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #15
Kwike92M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I think we all understood the original post. What we are saying is that there are very few bolt on parts for this car that actually make a difference on power. And the difference on power is really not THAT noticeable.
For example: guys with headers, exhaust, intake, underdrive pulleys, and e85 pump w/ tune (which is a WHOOOOOLE different beast in of itself) are really only dynoing @ maybe 400hp... on a good day.
And with all that, youre looking at 5-7k minumum.

If youre just wanting to liven up that car a bit, get a GTS DCT tune, a DME tune for catless exhaust, and enjoy the car. Just understand this car will get STOMPED by any american V8 made within the last 5 years.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #16
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
I have found the DCT GTS tune to make the car much harder to launch off the line. The programming is specifically designed for the 4.4 liter GTS model. That said, I removed the GTS DCT tune AND removed the engine tune and I was able to get quicker and more consistent 0-60 times of 4.0 second. On the top end, i was able to gain less than 2 mph in the 1/4 mile with the tunes....so for me not worth it. Staying stock.
a couple others
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 02:05 PM   #17
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
Judging by the replies, I'm starting to think that my experience owning this car has been a lot different than some of you.

I have never been "smoked" by any V8 Mustang besides a 350R which was obviously just for fun as I had no expectations of being anywhere close to that.

I've also raced some S4's/S5's and a tuned Golf R and either held my own or beat them. Also raced an older V8 R8 spyder a few weeks ago and was not waxed by him either.

I don't know if these people can't drive for shit, or what the deal is, but these experiences are what lead me to believe that any sort of tuning I put into my car is going to be worth it. My bad for thinking the E92 is pretty good at holding it's own, I guess...? Lol

I've read positive reviews on tunes and people saying it's a great way to add some more excitement to the car. Maybe the experiences I've had and positive reviews are painting the car in a much higher light than reality?
      07-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #18
Bruins97
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwike92M3 View Post
Quote:

I think we all understood the original post. What we are saying is that there are very few bolt on parts for this car that actually make a difference on power. And the difference on power is really not THAT noticeable.
For example: guys with headers, exhaust, intake, underdrive pulleys, and e85 pump w/ tune (which is a WHOOOOOLE different beast in of itself) are really only dynoing @ maybe 400hp... on a good day.
And with all that, youre looking at 5-7k minumum.

If youre just wanting to liven up that car a bit, get a GTS DCT tune, a DME tune for catless exhaust, and enjoy the car. Just understand this car will get STOMPED by any american V8 made within the last 5 years.
Hmm some of this is true. Look up @c63nyc on Instagram. His former FBO DCT E92 ran a 3.3 sec 0-60 and 7.9 sec 0-100. I believe the car ran mid 11s at 123 in the quarter. This platform with bolt ons and some weight reduction are plenty quick even by today's standards.
Appreciate 2
      07-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #19
Kwike92M3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins97 View Post
Hmm some of this is true. Look up @c63nyc on Instagram. His former FBO DCT E92 ran a 3.3 sec 0-60 and 7.9 sec 0-100. I believe the car ran mid 11s at 123 in the quarter. This platform with bolt ons and some weight reduction are plenty quick even by today's standards.
Damn. Im extremely impressed. But i would argue this is FAR from the norm. Especially considering the weight reduction, as well as the reliability of this extreme of NA performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 03:23 PM   #20
Bruins97
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwike92M3 View Post
Quote:
Damn. Im extremely impressed. But i would argue this is FAR from the norm. Especially considering the weight reduction, as well as the reliability of this extreme of NA performance.
The car had basic bolt ons plus headers and an E85 flash. Some aftermarket seats and rear seats pulled for weight reduction. Not the norm per say, but nothing that couldn't be done on a relatively moderate budget. If you reference some of SYT_Shadow threads, if you're willing to spend the money for headers and some Schrick 292s on race gas or e85, a stock displacement S65 is probably capable of about 420-430whp.
Appreciate 3
      07-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #21
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
Quote:
The car had basic bolt ons plus headers and an E85 flash. Some aftermarket seats and rear seats pulled for weight reduction. Not the norm per say, but nothing that couldn't be done on a relatively moderate budget. If you reference some of SYT_Shadow threads, if you're willing to spend the money for headers and some Schrick 292s on race gas or e85, a stock displacement S65 is probably capable of about 420-430whp.
This is incredible thanks for chiming in! Glad to know the opportunity for a NA E92 to be this fast does exist.
      07-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #22
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

OP, as you mention getting a M2c in the future but hating the F8X, just know it is basically the exact same car. I've instructed and tracked in both.

My E92 that is more or less FBO (karbonius intake, catless/hfc xpipe, tune) feels pretty damn fast on the street. The E90 stroker is at another level of course, but it's also another level of cost.

The E92 could be made faster with headers and 292 cams. When I had that setup on the E90 I got 412whp but with 284 cams. The 292s would take you to 420-430whp. Again though, that's a ton of money to drop on a car. It would be much cheaper to just bite the bullet and get a ESS G1 kit which is very solid.

For tunes, please stick to ESS/Epic/RK.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 07-23-2020 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 4
m3jala543.50
Space Fox1042.00
velociti181.50