BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Advice for powder coating the valve covers

I have to fix my valve cover gaskets and the covers look like crap with peeling paint so I want to replace them with nice set of powder coated ones. I found a decent deal on eBay for some used ones so I can do the swap in one day without having to wait to have my original ones cleaned up and painted.

Are there any special tricks or things to know when taking them to the powder coating place? Is it a special process because they are magnesium? Does anyone have an good recommendation (or a place to stay away from) for a powder coating place in NYC, Northern NJ, Long Island or even a place to send them out to by UPS? A quick Google search shows a lot of good reviews for Static Coating in Clifton, NJ and that is close by.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneM3 View Post
I have to fix my valve cover gaskets and the covers look like crap with peeling paint so I want to replace them with nice set of powder coated ones. I found a decent deal on eBay for some used ones so I can do the swap in one day without having to wait to have my original ones cleaned up and painted.

Are there any special tricks or things to know when taking them to the powder coating place? Is it a special process because they are magnesium? Does anyone have an good recommendation (or a place to stay away from) for a powder coating place in NYC, Northern NJ, Long Island or even a place to send them out to by UPS? A quick Google search shows a lot of good reviews for Static Coating in Clifton, NJ and that is close by.
=> https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...t+valve+covers

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

I recently replaced my valve cover gaskets and also replaced the right hand cover with a low mileage used one from Deansbimmer. My car has high mileage so I replaced all of the bolts too. All of the parts added up quickly. If I were to do it again, I would seriously consider just getting the OEM replacement covers that have all of the hardware.

One additional point that I noticed was that the oil fill cap was significantly tighter on the replacement cover. So I would be hesitant buying used ones unless you knew they had low miles. If you're looking for powder coated units you may check IND units out, but they seem pricey and not sure how tight the oil cap would fit on their used units.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #4
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

https://ind-distribution.com/product...alve-cover-set

I think this is the route I will take once my gaskets go, whenever that is .... I've been told there is potentially a way to do a core deposit on the refurbished versions and get the net cost below going new OEM, so maybe email IND and ask them if they will have a core deposit program (or already do) and for the net cost. Post back if you do end up contacting them... would love to know if we can get a net refurbished wrinkle coated set under $800 or so, which would be less than OEM.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #5
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

I got mine done by a local, treatment was $180 and the hardware for new gaskets and all new bolts, grommets ran about $220 iirc.. 5k miles later still running strong, I get a little weep around the oil fill cap that I've put down to the esters in the oil climbing the threads..
Attached Images

12-21-2019, 05:19 AM   #6
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
I got mine done by a local, treatment was $180 and the hardware for new gaskets and all new bolts, grommets ran about $220 iirc.. 5k miles later still running strong, I get a little weep around the oil fill cap that I've put down to the esters in the oil climbing the threads..
If you were able to get all the parts/hardware for that price you got a good deal. Bolts are pricey and you need 12 or 13 per side.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...75-11127841217

The gasket tube kit is about $180 at FCP Euro.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-11127838271kt

Also included in the OEM valve covers are the ventilators that the plenum connects to. I had replaced mine previously.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/11157848155/

The magnesium definitely thins in the area of the oil cap. That is the cause of the weeping. I had replaced my cap previously and was really surprised at how tight it fits on the replacement cover.

If one was to buy a used set of valve covers ($300-400) and get those coated ($200), you are approaching the cost of one side of a new replacement. Depending on where you get the rest of the parts needed one could justify either route.
Appreciate 1
aus891.50