BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-26-2016, 11:13 PM   #1
Morally Gray
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe

Radio Issues - Bad Reception

Hi All,

About 8 months back my radio signal just died in the ass.

I park 3 floors under a building and it would crackle out on about the 2nd.

Now it will crackly out as soon as I drive in and is crackly when I'm just on the road, enough to make it un listenable. All other aspects of the head unit are fine.

A) Is there any other cabling or equipment I should check other than the head unit?

B) does anyone know the best place to get a new or second hand head unit?

If there isn't any special places I'll just shop around eg silver lake ect.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 09:42 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

did you add anything electronic to the car? i know sometimes HID ballasts can create issues. my e46 had HID fog lamps and when i turned them on, i got a ton of static.
      12-28-2016, 04:46 AM   #3
Morally Gray
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe

Ahh... I added pretty much everything electronic to it, from sound system through to front and rear recording cameras, AL laser jammer, drone mobile controller, hardwired my garage opener to my SoS button ect.

It's odd your lights made an impact, did you use science to figure that out or just pull stuff out till you found what fixed it? Did you ever find out why they would be causing the interference.

I feel like I need to perform a DB or SNR test on the aerial, I might at lest try another head unit first now after reading this tho.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 05:51 AM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Orange View Post
Ahh... I added pretty much everything electronic to it, from sound system through to front and rear recording cameras, AL laser jammer, drone mobile controller, hardwired my garage opener to my SoS button ect.

It's odd your lights made an impact, did you use science to figure that out or just pull stuff out till you found what fixed it? Did you ever find out why they would be causing the interference.

I feel like I need to perform a DB or SNR test on the aerial, I might at lest try another head unit first now after reading this tho.
well, i'm fairly certain now that one or more of those items you added is causing the interference.
this was a common thing on my e46- people would do HID fog lamps and then complain about the radio static, so it was an easy answer to my problem. it was only when the fog lights were on.
i was told the solution would be to wrap the ballasts in foil, however, i never tried it because i was a lazy kid and mostly used my phone for music.

i don't know what your solution is, but i would probably start with the jammer.