BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #1
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

DCT feels a little clunky

Just wondering if anyone else's DCT feels a little clunky or "shifty" when you are changing gears?

Not sure if it has always been like this and I never noticed it, or something changed, but when my car shifts I feel a very slight shift in the tranny. It doesn't seem to be an internal "clunk", but almost feels as though the tranny itself is moving slightly, like I have a worn transmission mount. It is something I can feel around my feet, either in the floor or through the pedals, and seems most pronounced when down-shifting.

It really isn't that pronounced at all, and I wouldn't even mention it, but it seems to have started within the passed couple months and I honestly don't remember it being like that before. IIRC when I got the car shifts were razor sharp and clean, no clunking, vibration or shifting around could be felt whatsoever...or could it?

So just wondering, am I losing my mind, and some "clunking" or shifting is normal with the DCT, or should I investigate a little further?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, car is a 2011, has around 45k miles, and to my knowledge, has never had the DCT or differential fluid changed, besides the 1200 mile break in service.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

I don't ever remember the DCT as being super smooth it has always been kinda clunky especially at low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

I had that clunky feeling too , and is caused by lag especially in second gear it's worst !
That's why it has the name ..."The second gear lag"
When having the second gear lag actualy more gears are involved to get the clunky feeling and the added strange noises.
Actualy the feeling and the sound is created "by delay"=> lag of the DCT transmission !
My BMW/Dealer was not able to solve the problem ect...
The solution is...
When I got my engine/tune and DCT/Software upgrade the lag ...the clunky feeling and strange noises were history !
Even when cold my DCT shifts are smooth and once warmed up the shifts are lightning fast ,with a kick under the butt !
In a few other words...Stock software really s@cks !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #4
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

It could be worn transmission mounting bushings or motor mounts if you feel the transmission is moving.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 10:41 PM   #5
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Coming from SMG, I can safely say that clunky is behind us.

I wish we had a "shift point adaptation" procedure for DCT. That would cure your issue instantly. Keep driving. It will adapt.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
Bavarian Beast
Too many wagons on the bahn.....
Rep
Drives: LMB 2011 BMW e93

Is it possible to reset the DCT the same way it was with the SMG, by depressing both shift paddles while in neutral at low speed?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #7
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
It could be worn transmission mounting bushings or motor mounts if you feel the transmission is moving.
Not always it could really just be the character of our transmissions, wether DCT or manual.
We all got clunky transmissions!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
SJL Custom
Private
Rep
Drives: Various

Be sure to check your drive shaft joints for play. Ive seen a number of these wear and cause something similar in description.

As for adaptation or re-learn, there is a procedure that can be done using an oem or advanced scan system. It will relearn the shift positions and values inside the trans.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 03:18 PM   #9
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJL Custom View Post
Be sure to check your drive shaft joints for play. Ive seen a number of these wear and cause something similar in description.

As for adaptation or re-learn, there is a procedure that can be done using an oem or advanced scan system. It will relearn the shift positions and values inside the trans.
Hi SJL, just a quick one regarding mentioned relearning; I'm getting the box changed (due to earlier MT fluid - thanks for your guidance). New box, does that mean the dealer has to drive around in my car to get it "relearned", or is this a sw procedure? Appreciate your input. If the former, I plan to stick around when done...

Thanks

Ps. OP, sorry for quick hijack.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #10
SJL Custom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hi SJL, just a quick one regarding mentioned relearning; I'm getting the box changed (due to earlier MT fluid - thanks for your guidance). New box, does that mean the dealer has to drive around in my car to get it "relearned", or is this a sw procedure? Appreciate your input. If the former, I plan to stick around when done...

Thanks

Ps. OP, sorry for quick hijack.
There are a series of programming and learn procedures that have to be carried out. These include clutch adaptation, shift position relearn, torque value reset, valvebody adaptation, and oil condition reset. It is not necessary to drive the car around for these procedures to be executed, but the car will self adapt the clutch adaptations and torque values based on driver input and as the clutch breaks/wears in.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 07:28 PM   #11
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

Are these procedures only when hooked up the the scan system? The SMG on my 330i got so bad after changing the spark plugs that I nearly brought it in to the shop. Uneven idle and stalling, rough clunky shifts. I did the throttle adaptation procedure - switching the key on for 10 seconds and then off fo 10 seconds then start - and the SMG reset where you get going over 20 mph, put it in neutral and then pull both steering wheel shifters and hold for some number of seconds. Made a huge improvement. I know there is also a clutch slip relearn procedure that can only be done while on the shop's computer as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #12
SJL Custom
Private
Rep

These procedures can only be done with scan tool hooked up as far as I know. Clutch slip relearn is the same as clutch learn procedure.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 04:14 AM   #13
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
There are a series of programming and learn procedures that have to be carried out. These include clutch adaptation, shift position relearn, torque value reset, valvebody adaptation, and oil condition reset. It is not necessary to drive the car around for these procedures to be executed, but the car will self adapt the clutch adaptations and torque values based on driver input and as the clutch breaks/wears in.
Thanks a million SJL. Then I know enough to have a chat with the dealer and plan out what hopefully is the last bit before time to (finally..) deliver. And that will include no or limited test driving from there side.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #14
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a million SJL. Then I know enough to have a chat with the dealer and plan out what hopefully is the last bit before time to (finally..) deliver. And that will include no or limited test driving from there side.

Cheers
Off topic...sorry for that,Nik do you received my PM ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #15
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Off topic...sorry for that,Nik do you received my PM ?
I did mate, I'll reply on regular mail.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #16
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I did mate, I'll reply on regular mail.

cheers

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #17
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

My DCT is clunky in auto mode right when I slow down almost to a stop and the gear changes from 2 to 1. And then if I get right back on the throttle to move again, it is cluky engaging first. By clunky I just mean the knocking sound. When I am controlling the gear changes the clunky sounds are almost never there. Makes me think it's all programming.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #18
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
My DCT is clunky in auto mode right when I slow down almost to a stop and the gear changes from 2 to 1. And then if I get right back on the throttle to move again, it is cluky engaging first. By clunky I just mean the knocking sound. When I am controlling the gear changes the clunky sounds are almost never there. Makes me think it's all programming.
It's all in my post #3 above , it's the Oem software that realy s@cks !
The trouble word is called...."Lag" !

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #19
xaappx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

DCT on my 2012 is pretty smooth. You should get the software updated... I'm new to these cars, but apparently most of the issues I've read so far have been software related, and not necessarily mechanical.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #20
SJL Custom
Private
Rep

Quote:

Cheers
Just make certain they flush the oem coolers as much as possible. If this isn't done sufficiently, then youll still have remains of the old incorrect fluid circulating. I would suggest them pulling the front mount cooler right out of the car and flushing it and the cooler tubes that way to make sure its as clean as possible. Don't let them take any short cuts with anything, it is their fault after all.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:21 PM   #21
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Just make certain they flush the oem coolers as much as possible. If this isn't done sufficiently, then youll still have remains of the old incorrect fluid circulating. I would suggest them pulling the front mount cooler right out of the car and flushing it and the cooler tubes that way to make sure its as clean as possible. Don't let them take any short cuts with anything, it is their fault after all.
Good advice SJL. Actually I initially suggested if they didn't change the cooler and lines as well this has to be pointed out as risk in a warranty contract. Instead they now will replace the whole shebang.

11 weeks without the car and counting...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 02:34 AM   #22
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I suspect most all "clunking" is coming from the drivetrain...that MT owners report similar noises points to drivetrain and half-shaft universal joint lash.
The OP is maybe having a problem with his engine mountings if he feels the engine/gearbox is moving around a little under changes in load. These mountings are known to fail and cause strange noises - definitely worth a check.
Appreciate 0