BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

03-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #155
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
You are just still sore jb4 f80 wiped your supercharged car out at those drag events.
The guy has a FBO 997.2 Turbo S for airstrip events.

I don't think he's trippin about JB4. LOL

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #156
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
You are just still sore jb4 f80 wiped your supercharged car out at those drag events.
lamo

I had no intercooler water circulation my pump wire was severed.

Car was idling 20-30 minutes before the runs with water boiling in the manifold. Its amazing it did what it did under the circumstances.

Now with the fixed intercooler and e85 mix up top my M3 feels almost as fast as my Turbo S. Which by the way on pump gas completely waxed the BMS upgraded turbo M4 running 600+ wheel.

I don't think my M3 would have any problems with a tune M4 now that it's fixed.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #157
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
lamo

I had no intercooler water circulation my pump wire was severed.

Car was idling 20-30 minutes before the runs with water boiling in the manifold. Its amazing it did what it did under the circumstances.

Now with the fixed intercooler and e85 mix up top my M3 feels almost as fast as my Turbo S. Which by the way on pump gas completely waxed the BMS upgraded turbo M4 running 600+ wheel.

I don't think my M3 would have any problems with a tune M4 now that it's fixed.
Screaming insecurity. f80 ftw.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #158
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Stop talking, you look like a complete and utter tool.

Last edited by BrewRifle; 03-22-2015 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #159
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
ya gtfo
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #160
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Don't mind him, we're talking about a guy who had buyer's remorse after getting in his F80.
Let's just let the guy feel better about his purchase.

Quote:
I just turned in my lease and ordered a brand new F80 and am missing my e92 every waking and dreaming moment! Never give that v8 up!! Cant wait to get into another very low mileage 2013 and keep her forever. I learned so much from experimenting on my old leased car. Had 60k miles and enjoyed every second of it. Has different tunes, different xpipes, different audio upgrades and now I know exactly what I would do on my next e92. SO much more fun to mod the e92 as turbos bore me
Quote:
Would it be possible for a custum tune to better produce a more linear power curve if we were willing to not take as much of a midrange gain? Maybe adding progressively more boost up top without as much down low and in the middle?

Given the wheel spin I am seeing in lower gears, I almost would prefer a tune that tapered off the power a tad down low and in the middle but progressively built it a bit more aggressive up top to give a true NA feel?

Maybe I am alone but could a tuner due this if one were to pay for a custom tune?

Redline raised to 8k perhaps possible or is air flow not happening there?
Quote:
A part of it is whether or not you were one who longed for an m3 in the e46 or before days when the sound I heard as one screamed down the road was as more crucial to whatever hp the car actually had. The metallic scream, the thought of a bespoke engine and the fact it was the last M car to have no holds barred in terms of engineering for performance without caring about fuel-efficiency.

I lusted after the e60 m5 as well and the v10 and when the new m5/6 came out, I never liked it and continues to this day. I still drool when I see a nice e60. Maybe I am understanding now how a lot of "old" people (now I am getting old I guess" were stuck in the days of their favorite muscle car and would not get with the times.

Well for me the e92 is my muscle car that was the culmination of a teenage dream and as a F1 fan, was linked in theory and character to a real motorsport engine.

Not to mention M interviews since the beginning spoke of the reason for NA high revving engines and not until fuel regulations happened did they change their tune.

I always buy the latest and greatest so it was hard for me to accept that the old version is the right one. I think I found the right one and plan to keep it forever. Ill own new cars but will keep this one around now. The f80 frankly doesn't excite me and one thing I really loved about the the e46 and e92 (and e36 in Europe) was there was NOTHING like it other than a Ferrari really. All its competition boasted large displacement regular revving motors found in many cars. Not hard to slap a big torque motor in a car. But the fact you knew you had the only 8600 rpm 4 litre v8 out there screaming out top end power just gave me a level of pride and enjoyment in the heritage and uniqueness.

Frankly every car in the world uses 6 cylinders and turbos. Just nothing special to me. Although the s55 is a super advanced turbo, its power delivery is nothing special. You could go find 100 cars with the same power deliver feeling. Aside from a Ferrari or lambo, you will not find the power delivery of an e92 m3 v8. Even a Ferrari doesn't have as flat of a torque curve or as linear as a power curve. There literally is no engine out there with a flatter torque curve or more linear power band.

Now to me that is special

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #161
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Haha great investigative work, Law. The poor guy has no clue how much of a fool he is.
      03-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #162
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
jesus christ i saw the title of this thread and knew the shit show that would start. way to create another thread to bash the new m3/m4
Maybe the question to ask is why are so many people bashing it? When the e36 M3 came out, I loved it over the e30. When the e46 came it, I drooled in comparison the e36. When the e9x came out, and especially when I drove it, I instantly fell for the car. I have liked every generation of the M3 more than what it replaced. The f8x just doesn't give me that feeling. As a stand alone car, it is a great ride, but in comparison to the e9x it is a lateral move at best IMO. For everything you gain, you also lose in other areas. It just shouldn't be that way. They made a more objectively capable car, but diminished the sensory experience in the process.
      03-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #163
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Maybe the question to ask is why are so many people bashing it? When the e36 M3 came out, I loved it over the e30. When the e46 came it, I drooled in comparison the e36. When the e9x came out, and especially when I drove it, I instantly fell for the car. I have liked every generation of the M3 more than what it replaced. The f8x just doesn't give me that feeling. As a stand alone car, it is a great ride, but in comparison to the e9x it is a lateral move at best IMO. For everything you gain, you also lose in other areas. It just shouldn't be that way. They made a more objectively capable car, but diminished the sensory experience in the process.
Personal I think the biggest problem is..."NA vs TURBO" .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #164
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
This

It was generally understood that M stood for NA engine. Not long ago they would happily say turbo engines were not for them.

I don't particularly care if it's a V8 or a I6, but the turbo vs NA is a serious problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 08:35 PM   #165
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
That's every m3. Everyone generation has its downfall which makes the m3 not perfect. The e46 m3 sounded like complete shit in stock form. Wait it's one of the most beloved models now...and it had subframe issues...and other electrical issues...

Also from what I hear no one was excited about the e9x m3 when it first came out. They questioned the v8 and the weight. Look at it now. I'm sure people were super pissed about the e36 m3 when it came out due to the engine lol they are still pissed! But look at it now. I would comfortable wager the f8x will be the same. It's fallen short just like any other generation and amazed just like the others as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #166
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 SG

Quote:
That's every m3. Everyone generation has its downfall which makes the m3 not perfect. The e46 m3 sounded like complete shit in stock form. Wait it's one of the most beloved models now...and it had subframe issues...and other electrical issues...

Also from what I hear no one was excited about the e9x m3 when it first came out. They questioned the v8 and the weight. Look at it now. I'm sure people were super pissed about the e36 m3 when it came out due to the engine lol they are still pissed! But look at it now. I would comfortable wager the f8x will be the same. It's fallen short just like any other generation and amazed just like the others as well.

It wont, I am not sure i would want to own one, I actually hate M cars nowadays except for up to the E9x
and it isn't because i own an E90. it is because the newer generation are not True M cars.
these cars look like Japanese cares and i hate this ridiculous nonsense of having M on almost everything nowadays. X5M / X6M / 1M and all these crap is only watering down what M really is supposed ot stand for.

Imma keep my V8. Id rather an E46 or an E60 M5 than any of these F8X crap
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 10:14 PM   #167
Limey
EXC MIII
United_States
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side

Garage List
I've driven a few different M4's several times (albeit stock ones so I'm obviously not appreciating it in the form I would own one) and they're amazing in many ways but they just don't do it for me. Way too digital/disconnected/refined. Had waited to buy my E90 off lease in case I preferred the M4. Still having way too much fun so I just bought it and don't even look twice at its successor cos I bet the driver's having less fun than me.

And that sound I just cannot get used to. Even with aftermarket pipes. One drove up from behind me today and I honestly thought it was some ricer with a giant can on the back. And they pump that nonsense through the speakers too? Come on!

The best way to sum up both cars IMO is the F80 is "better", it's just not as "good" as the E90. And I refuse to drive a car that has to pump synthesized sound thru the speakers.

BMW wants to sell more cars to more consumers. Not less cars to more enthusiasts.

Rant complete thanks.

Check out my build: Limey's E90 | Daily Driver Evolved

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 11:04 PM   #168
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantegardestyle View Post
It wont, I am not sure i would want to own one, I actually hate M cars nowadays except for up to the E9x
and it isn't because i own an E90. it is because the newer generation are not True M cars.
these cars look like Japanese cares and i hate this ridiculous nonsense of having M on almost everything nowadays. X5M / X6M / 1M and all these crap is only watering down what M really is supposed ot stand for.

Imma keep my V8. Id rather an E46 or an E60 M5 than any of these F8X crap
You're entitled to your opinion and respect that. I will actually make a real bet with you on whether or not the general masses praise the f8x at the end of its run in the same way the other generations received praise. Would love to document that and make a little fun entertainment thread about it
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 11:34 PM   #169
Limey
EXC MIII
United_States
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side

Garage List
Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion and respect that. I will actually make a real bet with you on whether or not the general masses praise the f8x at the end of its run in the same way the other generations received praise. Would love to document that and make a little fun entertainment thread about it
Me neither. I'm just in love w my E90 so extremely biased. I could change my mind and decide to sell my car tomorrow.

Check out my build: Limey's E90 | Daily Driver Evolved

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 12:45 AM   #170
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey View Post
I've driven a few different M4's several times (albeit stock ones so I'm obviously not appreciating it in the form I would own one) and they're amazing in many ways but they just don't do it for me. Way too digital/disconnected/refined. Had waited to buy my E90 off lease in case I preferred the M4. Still having way too much fun so I just bought it and don't even look twice at its successor cos I bet the driver's having less fun than me.

And that sound I just cannot get used to. Even with aftermarket pipes. One drove up from behind me today and I honestly thought it was some ricer with a giant can on the back. And they pump that nonsense through the speakers too? Come on!

The best way to sum up both cars IMO is the F80 is "better", it's just not as "good" as the E90. And I refuse to drive a car that has to pump synthesized sound thru the speakers.

BMW wants to sell more cars to more consumers. Not less cars to more enthusiasts.

Rant complete thanks.
I would say the sound is the worse part of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 06:23 AM   #171
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
That is one issue...and everything that goes with that (sound, etc). For me there is also the size. I also do think the front end is just a little too busy looking, although this is a minor point.

Quote:

As I pointed out in my thread, this was not the case for me. I readily embraced each successive generation of M3, end especially the e9x. During the pre-production phase, when I saw the styling and learned of the high-revving small displacement V8, I was so excited. When I drove it, it felt like a glove. Everything about it just clicked. When I drove the M4, I certainly did not dislike it, sound notwithstanding, but I didn't see a reason to jump into it over my e92. As I said, there were just as many cons as pros compared to the outgoing car.

I still also contend that the powerband of a turbo motor is more suited to an AWD platform. The early rise of torque really needs the traction to be optimal. Otherwise, you basically have a engine that produces prodigious torque, only to have the traction nannies castrate it all to be able to get the power to the ground. What's the point in that?!! If they were committed to forced induction, I think SC would have been a better way to go with front engine/RWD, as it basically just augments the inherent power band of a NA motor, is much more progressive, and less inclined to overwhelm the traction of the car.

Last edited by LarThaL; 03-23-2015 at 06:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 11:02 PM   #172
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

LarThal hit it on the nail, Ferrari engineers revealed the hardest part of the 488 GTB project was torque management for each gear position vs. driving condition.

We've all seen that vid of that M4 driver jumping the median because of overwhelming torque.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #173
fbm3cab
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Anyone with a 2012-2013 wish they waited for the M4?

HaHa!

I did wait for the M4. And then after seeing what it was all about, rushed to buy a 2013 M3. If I had waited any longer then I would have missed getting one of the last new E93 M3's off the line exactly the way I wanted it and that would have sucked.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 04:51 AM   #174
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

ill be waiting till the new C63 AMG Coupe arrives. M4 is a luxurious lawnmower.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 08:01 AM   #175
MDREDev
Banned
Rep
Drives: Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrezzz View Post
ill be waiting till the new C63 AMG Coupe arrives. M4 is a luxurious lawnmower.
....and the C63 AMG looks like complete ass. Way too soft. Looks like a chick grocery getter
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #176
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

As much as I dislike the turbo engine of the new M, I would still buy it over other contemporary options which are also turbocharged. Bavarian Motor Works makes some wonderful engines, turbocharged or not

One day there will be all electric Ms. I expect the M one to be the pick of the lot, as is usually the case
Appreciate 0