BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #23
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I think the key is that your M is in quotes. Was that how it was written in the published article as well? Surely M Division will help tune the suspension and chassis for the top level X5 and X6, but I think it is all but confirmed they will be labeled "is". I.e. X5 xDrive50is and X6 xDrive50is.
The article reads that Willisch pretty much wanted to be understood that way. He didn't explicitly say 'there will be an M X6 and M X5', though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post
They have also said that not only will a CSL version be produced but it will make its way to North America this time.

There is certainly a market for a CSL version in Europe, probably one in North America too since any CSL produced would come with The M-DCT which is selling like mad over here unlike the 6MT version.

IMHO its really too early for any thumbs up / thumbs down to be given on an M3 CSL
BMW never said that a CSl will come to the US. Truth to be told Scott (the BMW insider posting at a site whose name I forgot ) always denied it will make it to the US due to regulation issues.

Building no CSL whatsoever is a certain change on BMW's side though. They still reserve to change their mind once again as Willisch said "From today's perspective, there won't be a CSL".

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #24
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

What precisely makes the CSL a car that cannot be sold in the USA? Seats? Airbags? Crumple zones?
      07-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #25
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_cornholio View Post
When Porsche introduced the Cayenne, you could say the same about Porsche as now for the M GmbH. They sell their reputation of making true sports cars. IMO cars like the Cayenne and the X3/5/6 should be BANNED! They are ugly and make no sense, neither on the road nor off it:

If you want a true offroader: get a Toyota LandCruiser

If you want the space and the comfort: get a 5 series

If you want a sports car: get an M3/5/6 or a 911
Personally I'm all agreeing with your point of view. But everybody should be free to drive and buy what he or she wants to.

My point is just the following: As somebody already mentioned the introduction of the Cayenne didn't make the 911 series a worse car. The same goes for the possible or now likely introduction of an ///M X5 or ///M X6. As long as BMW builds only one M car that can hold its history up I'm pleased. The existence of an ///M X6 alone would not bar me from buying the next gen M3 or Z4M. Would it bar you?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #26
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
What precisely makes the CSL a car that cannot be sold in the USA? Seats? Airbags? Crumple zones?
My understanding is that the U.S. regulation and approval procedure itself is expensive enough to make it unprofitable. Don't know if that's the true reason or just the 'official' one.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #27
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
My understanding is that the U.S. regulation and approval procedure itself is expensive enough to make it unprofitable. Don't know if that's the true reason or just the 'official' one.

Best regards, south
Makes sense since there were so few of them. Thanks.
      07-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #28
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Would you guys buy the M3 CSL if it cost LESS than a regular M3?

I mean, considering all the crap they strip out, I don't know why they couldn't sell one for an equal or lesser price than the standard M3. I realize that BMW tweaks the performance of the car quite a bit which includes better/more expensive materials, etc. but I still think a stripper CSL for around the same price as the current M would do well. No?
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #29
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Would you guys buy the M3 CSL if it cost LESS than a regular M3?

I mean, considering all the crap they strip out, I don't know why they couldn't sell one for an equal or lesser price than the standard M3. I realize that BMW tweaks the performance of the car quite a bit which includes better/more expensive materials, etc. but I still think a stripper CSL for around the same price as the current M would do well. No?
I do understand your question, I friend of mine and I visited the Ferrari dealer last week to see an F430 Scuderia, he said he would take the F430 Spyder over it any day. But for enthusiasts like me, I would pay more for the CSL in a heart-beat.
Attached Images

07-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #30
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Sure, I tink it will be ///M x6 etc...
So what shall we wager then? I like the $100 to a charity of choice option that I did last time with T-Bone.

Also, I am curious what engine will be powering this ///M X6? Do you believe it will be some form of the N64, some for of the S85, or are you thinking something else?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #31
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

I don't see what the big uproar is. When Porsche started building the Cayenne, did the 911 line start going to hell (aside from the wet sump issue)? Did the Boxster suddenly turn into a soft, poorly handling, bloated cow? Did Porsche stop developing exciting new products like the Cayman?

So, who cares? If you don't like the Cayenne or the X5M, don't buy it. But appreciate the fact that the existence of these other lines help keep the cars we love in development and production. Don't be so naive. 95% of their customer base aren't enthusiasts like most here on these forums.

As long as BMW and ///M keep building cars I love to drive, I don't give a crap if they decide that they want to start building big pink blimps stamped with the M logo.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #32
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The article reads that Willisch pretty much wanted to be understood that way. He didn't explicitly say 'there will be an M X6 and M X5', though.
Indeed south. Even not seeing the article, I fully suspected as much. Hence my bet.

One thing though, since this is the case (that is, that it was not specifically mentioned they will be labeled M vehicles) then how can the writer use this as the basis for an article about how M is losing their way? Sounds like a lot of sensationalism to me, especially for what is supposed to be a reputable source. Personally I do not think M is losing their way and no amount of "reputable" news or interviews from BMW employees - whoever they might be - will convince me otherwise. I do find it surprising how stories like this always seem to get people riled up though. Instead, I prefer to base my emotional state of being on things that are empirically verifiable. But I guess that's a bit of paradox, now isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #33
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
aw that sucks.
      07-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #34
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
So what shall we wager then? I like the $100 to a charity of choice option that I did last time with T-Bone.

Also, I am curious what engine will be powering this ///M X6? Do you believe it will be some form of the N64, some for of the S85, or are you thinking something else?
OK, $100 US sounds great to me. I have paypal so we can settle through that!! I agree it should also include the engine. About the engine, thats a tough call, the S85 lack of torque for a heavy vehicle, so all go with a tt v8 with larger turbos etc...
      07-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #35
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Just because they said that they wouldn't be building a "M1" super-car doesn't mean that they will not be making a super-car at all. What about the GINA concept?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #36
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Well, you threw it out there...give me an example of a business that doesn't exist to make money -- an example that also doesn't involve a government subsidy.
Maybe I am not being clear enough. Businesses do exist to make money...that is the only way that they can remain a business. But that is not their sole purpose. Many people start businesses for personal reasons (charity, ego, etc). Example: Lamborghini.

A little snippet: Founded by Ferruccio Lamborghini, Lamborghini started out as a tractor building company in the Italian village of Sant'Agata Bolognese. However, Ferruccio Lamborghini's priorities changed when he went to meet Enzo Ferrari at the Ferrari factory to complain about the quality of the clutch in his Ferrari 250.[2] An infuriated Enzo Ferrari sent him away telling him to go drive his tractors because he was not able to drive cars. Lamborghini went back to his factory to have the Ferrari's clutch dismantled and found that the clutch in the Ferrari was made by the same manufacturer who supplied the clutches used in Lamborghini tractors. Lamborghini installed a stronger clutch from his factory's warehouse into his Ferrari and solved the clutch failure.

Furious with Enzo Ferrari's arrogant and aloof manner, Ferruccio Lamborghini promised himself he would never own another Ferrari, and would beat Ferrari at his own game, by creating a superior sports car of his own.
/wiki

While Lamborghini's priorities might have changed over time to become more focused on making money, the original intent and purpose of the business was pride and ego. Ferruccio wanted to deliver a product that was better than his competitor.

So, I guess that when I think of ///M, I think of it in a similar light to Lamborghini. It was founded to deliver the elite sport vehicles of BMWs lineup. An X5 or X6 doesn't belong in the ///M garage, let BMW do the tweaky. ///M should stick to its roots.

That's just me though...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #37
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

i don't know what kind of studies they are making, but i'm sure there are more buyers for an m3 csl than for x5m or x6m!!
Thats symply stupid!!
the new rs5 will come soon so i think m3 will have some problems!!
A csl is needed!!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #38
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Indeed south. Even not seeing the article, I fully suspected as much. Hence my bet.

One thing though, since this is the case (that is, that it was not specifically mentioned they will be labeled M vehicles) then how can the writer use this as the basis for an article about how M is losing their way? Sounds like a lot of sensationalism to me, especially for what is supposed to be a reputable source. Personally I do not think M is losing their way and no amount of "reputable" news or interviews from BMW employees - whoever they might be - will convince me otherwise. I do find it surprising how stories like this always seem to get people riled up though. Instead, I prefer to base my emotional state of being on things that are empirically verifiable. But I guess that's a bit of paradox, now isn't it?
Well, it was not an article about BMW losing their way, it was just an interview. Sorry in case I wasn't clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanu1 View Post
i don't know what kind of studies they are making, but i'm sure there are more buyers for an m3 csl than for x5m or x6m!!
Thats symply stupid!!
the new rs5 will come soon so i think m3 will have some problems!!
A csl is needed!!
Willisch said they assume to sell as much of 'these' cars as they sell M5s. That meant way more buyers than for the CSL.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #39
M3 LUST
Banned
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Maybe I am not being clear enough. Businesses do exist to make money...that is the only way that they can remain a business. But that is not their sole purpose. Many people start businesses for personal reasons (charity, ego, etc). Example: Lamborghini.

A little snippet: Founded by Ferruccio Lamborghini, Lamborghini started out as a tractor building company in the Italian village of Sant'Agata Bolognese. However, Ferruccio Lamborghini's priorities changed when he went to meet Enzo Ferrari at the Ferrari factory to complain about the quality of the clutch in his Ferrari 250.[2] An infuriated Enzo Ferrari sent him away telling him to go drive his tractors because he was not able to drive cars. Lamborghini went back to his factory to have the Ferrari's clutch dismantled and found that the clutch in the Ferrari was made by the same manufacturer who supplied the clutches used in Lamborghini tractors. Lamborghini installed a stronger clutch from his factory's warehouse into his Ferrari and solved the clutch failure.

Furious with Enzo Ferrari's arrogant and aloof manner, Ferruccio Lamborghini promised himself he would never own another Ferrari, and would beat Ferrari at his own game, by creating a superior sports car of his own.
/wiki

While Lamborghini's priorities might have changed over time to become more focused on making money, the original intent and purpose of the business was pride and ego. Ferruccio wanted to deliver a product that was better than his competitor.

So, I guess that when I think of ///M, I think of it in a similar light to Lamborghini. It was founded to deliver the elite sport vehicles of BMWs lineup. An X5 or X6 doesn't belong in the ///M garage, let BMW do the tweaky. ///M should stick to its roots.

That's just me though...
This is merely anecdotal evidence, meaning it's worthless (whether or not it's true or not) - ie, my wife's cousin's friend John really likes pizzas so he opens an italian restaurant and claims that he does it because he likes pizzas, instead of because he likes to make money. It's purely anecdotal, although I can anticipate a "gotcha!" moment by saying that I too am familiar with Lamborghini's alleged reasoning in starting to produce sports cars.

Every Economics 101 course/textbook will teach you that people build sports cars or make pizzas because of the profit motive. Period.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #40
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK, $100 US sounds great to me. I have paypal so we can settle through that!! I agree it should also include the engine. About the engine, thats a tough call, the S85 lack of torque for a heavy vehicle, so all go with a tt v8 with larger turbos etc...
Sounds good.

I agree the engine will be the turbo V8 so no need to include that in the bet.

BTW, you may find this an interesting read too:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/28/s...-activity-cou/

Not that autoblog is by any means a 100% reliable source.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #41
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good.

I agree the engine will be the turbo V8 so no need to include that in the bet.

BTW, you may find this an interesting read too:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/28/s...-activity-cou/

Not that autoblog is by any means a 100% reliable source.
Thanks!! I will read.
      07-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #42
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, it was not an article about BMW losing their way, it was just an interview. Sorry in case I wasn't clear.
No its my fault - I thought someone said that above but I was mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #43
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 LUST View Post
This is merely anecdotal evidence, meaning it's worthless (whether or not it's true or not) - ie, my wife's cousin's friend John really likes pizzas so he opens an italian restaurant and claims that he does it because he likes pizzas, instead of because he likes to make money. It's purely anecdotal, although I can anticipate a "gotcha!" moment by saying that I too am familiar with Lamborghini's alleged reasoning in starting to produce sports cars.

Every Economics 101 course/textbook will teach you that people build sports cars or make pizzas because of the profit motive. Period.
I admit defeat (but I still say that there shouldn't be a MX5)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #44
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
I admit defeat (but I still say that there shouldn't be a MX5)
There is still a chance that they don't badge it ///M.