BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-25-2009, 03:21 AM   #1
ponch_ki
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Got a BBK, then got this strange sound...

Hi guys!

Just about a 2 months ago, I ordered and installed AP Racing BBK. Then after around 100kms of driving the kit on, I experienced this strange sound from below the floor of the car. It sounded like a low moaning sound with vibration. The sound only comes when I travel around 10kmh (7mph?) or slower. The sound persists even if I am on neutral, have the clutch depressed or on any gear.

Note: The sound/vibration seems to increase in intensity once I travel around far/ or brake hard a couple of times.

So, I brought it to the dealer where I had it installed and they said there was no problem... Until one night THIS happened: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324525

So after a few weeks of waiting, I got my axle replaced, but the sound and vibration remained! I thought it had something to do with the defective axle.

I dont know much about car mechanical stuff so I was wondering if any of you guys can offer some help or insights...

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

Can you record that sound and upload it?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 04:05 AM   #3
ponch_ki
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_cornholio View Post
Can you record that sound and upload it?
I will try...

If i can describe in words... it sounds like the creaking on an old wooden ship, the kind of sound you here usually on the movies. (but the sound is much much lower)

When a friend of mine tried to here it from the outside, he said it didnt come from the brakes, but I will try to repeat the test to confirm where the sound is possibly coming from...

NOTE: The vibration can be felt even under the passenger side floor.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
haiderwaleed
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3manila View Post
I will try...

If i can describe in words... it sounds like the creaking on an old wooden ship, the kind of sound you here usually on the movies. (but the sound is much much lower)

When a friend of mine tried to here it from the outside, he said it didnt come from the brakes, but I will try to repeat the test to confirm where the sound is possibly coming from...

NOTE: The vibration can be felt even under the passenger side floor.
hmm...
THINK OUTSIDE THE BULB!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

You should have not weird sounds.
      01-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Ok I'll make it 3 useless posts in a row
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I am getting a similar sound occasionally while turning at slow speeds after having applied the brakes. I took it to the shop that installed my brakes and they feel it is related to the calipers not fully releasing. I am having it checked out further this week, and will check back on what I find out.
      01-07-2010, 06:07 AM   #8
ponch_ki
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
I am getting a similar sound occasionally while turning at slow speeds after having applied the brakes. I took it to the shop that installed my brakes and they feel it is related to the calipers not fully releasing. I am having it checked out further this week, and will check back on what I find out.
Im now currently having my diff fluid changed and inspected. This would eliminate the diff having a problem. If the sound persists, I would probably try to reinstall and inspect my BBK.
Appreciate 0