BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #45
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

sorry to hear that OP, best of luck!
      04-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #46
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Do you had visual more exhaust fumes than usual ?
No.. Other than sudden oil consumption and a very subtle tapping sound upon throttle tip in at a constant speed, I had no indication anything was wrong... I only noticed the tapping sound because it was reverberating off of the bay bridge wall next to me as I was driving across the bay Friday morning... Once I got off the bridge I could not hear the noise anymore, as it was very subtle at first...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #47
FashionablyFast
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus

Garage List
Keep us posted on what your warranty company does about this. I hope they alleviate it with your best interest in mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #48
nthretourNAFTW
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 NA no turbo required

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickM View Post
Can you please elaborate this? would tuning the engine increase bearing failure? I thought these kind of tune is just canned tune.
More output either by SC or tuning (canned or not) means more loading the engine to produce the extra output over a stock engine.

But it's more complicated than this. I strongly believe that the B failure issue on the S65 is a compromised oil issue. Not an engine load issue. But of course once the oil is compromised a SC or tuned engine extra load will spin the B faster. Oil lubrification gets compromised by "babying" driving pattern that lead to excessive fuel dillution in the oil.

Cases should record how many miles the oil was driven since last change. I predict no failed bearings ever occur in freshly changed oil as it takes more miles for dillution to degrade the oil. For example the OP mentioned topping off the oil in last 5Kmiles so we know the failure didn't occur with fresh oil in the engine.

Last edited by nthretourNAFTW; 04-27-2015 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #49
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAp3x View Post
One thing to also note: in the last 5k miles, the car only burned about a 1/2 liter of TWS of which I topped off... In the 2 days prior to the knocking sound, the oil level dropped from MAX level to the half way mark in under 48 hours... That tells me that the bearing was likely spun or about to spin, as it was super hot and cooking the oil...
This is all very good info. Thank you
      04-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #50
MikeeM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 600whp M4

my car is at 75k and both previous members did all the maintenance requiered with 7500k oil change etc ... but since day one im having a noise coming from engine bay or maybe under the car im not 100%... might be because of the catless pipes or something else i dont know yet... im so afraid of those rod bearings failure that im thinking about selling the car soon even if i have only put 3k on it since purchase
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #51
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
I know this is a rod bearing fail sound...

how about this sound at 210F ish at idle?
Knocking and ticking noises from BF are very clear in both of your videos !
It's clear and simple...It's BF 2 X .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #52
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeeM3 View Post
my car is at 75k and both previous members did all the maintenance requiered with 7500k oil change etc ... but since day one im having a noise coming from engine bay or maybe under the car im not 100%... might be because of the catless pipes or something else i dont know yet... im so afraid of those rod bearings failure that im thinking about selling the car soon even if i have only put 3k on it since purchase
Post video of the noise, and take cam close to driver side front wheel while you rev it slowly to 3K rpm .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #53
Rich150001
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco Cuddie View Post
So when will BMW recall these rod bearings? It seems like this happens far too often
On my last car, a 2007 335i, they extended the warranty several years later for the turbos/waste gates and the fuel pumps due to a lawsuit I believe. As a result, I was able to get brand new turbos from BMW.

I am hoping if this issue becomes more ubiquitous, that BMW will also find a solution for checking/replacing failing rod bearings under an extended warranty/recall as it appears to be an engineering flaw.
      04-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #54
From5ToM24
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 - G11 750I M-Sport

It seems that the 2008s are most frequently affected by this....Any validity to that?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #55
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthretourNAFTW View Post
More output either by SC or tuning (canned or not) means more loading the engine to produce the extra output over a stock engine.

But it's more complicated than this. I strongly believe that the B failure issue on the S65 is a compromised oil issue. Not an engine load issue. But of course once the oil is compromised a SC or tuned engine extra load will spin the B faster. Oil lubrification gets compromised by "babying" driving pattern that lead to excessive fuel dillution in the oil.

Cases should record how many miles the oil was driven since last change. I predict no failed bearings ever occur in freshly changed oil as it takes more miles for dillution to degrade the oil. For example the OP mentioned topping off the oil in last 5Kmiles so we know the failure didn't occur with fresh oil in the engine.
I just changed the oil less than 1k miles ago... it has fresh oil in it... I also included the blackstone report... I change my oil 5k intervals..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #56
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
Post video of the noise, and take cam close to driver side front wheel while you rev it slowly to 3K rpm .
These tick noises that aren't in rythm are the one's you are referring about, right?
So you're basically hearing what noises sound a little off and that's what you asume the rod bearing?
OP said, that he had prior to engine/RB/CS/ failure an enormous oil consumption, shouldn't that be considered as an #no.1 premature-failure indicator?
LMK
Cheer's to Belgium
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #57
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
what took you so long mister tuned M3 ? I could anticipate your post in advance Doesn't matter that recent year model can also fail, the failure rate is still very low. But i know you're not satisfied unless it's 0.5%

The one or two person who had twice B failure should play the lottery. But on a more serious note, it shows correlation with driving style. And it's the opposite of what most people think, those engine need to be driven hard as often as possible to keep the oil undiluted with fuel. Not babied. Oil looses its lubrification performance the more it's diluted with gas. Especially 10% ethanol fuel which is what 99% people will find in usa.
What took me that long ?
I need to work my friend,just came home...12 hours today ,started 04.30-AM how many hours you worked today ?
I really don't know what you are talking about ...what bearing failures ?
Hope you will never hear any ticking or rattle noises , same thing here and tuned or not ,babied or not!
About the lottery , actually the lottery starts to roll when the S65 leaves the German factory and hope we have winners !
About satisfied ...I was only satisfied when this thread/s were not necessary on here ,and so not f@cked up by BMW !
Are you sure you have a winner ?

Appreciate 1
      04-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #58
MikeeM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i will try to take a video soon !! the noise is stronger on cold starts when car is revving i dont hear it if this can help !!
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #59
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeeM3 View Post
i will try to take a video soon !! the noise is stronger on cold starts when car is revving i dont hear it if this can help !!
Ok , my head phone is allways ready to listen .
Just PM me when you post your video , I've done this many times ,mostly via Email and know how our S65 not should sound !

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #60
FashionablyFast
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus

Garage List
Quote:
I just changed the oil less than 1k miles ago... it has fresh oil in it... I also included the blackstone report... I change my oil 5k intervals..
This is what makes me wonder... Something doesn't add up....

There's fresh oil in it and Blackstone picked up very little lead just 1,000 miles ago,...which means this happened very, very suddenly.

If the car has been babied, then maybe there's validity to what was stated by nthretourNAFTW .
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #61
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix View Post
These tick noises that aren't in rythm are the one's you are referring about, right?
So you're basically hearing what noises sound a little off and that's what you asume the rod bearing?
OP said, that he had prior to engine/RB/CS/ failure an enormous oil consumption, shouldn't that be considered as an #no.1 premature-failure indicator?
LMK
Cheer's to Belgium
First time that I was reading about enormous oil consumption and after 1K bearing failure .
That's why I was asking to OP about exhaust fumes , even when the oil is burned ..It's needs to go somewhere ..
About the noises I have learned for the last 2 years how our S65 not should sound by listening hundreds of times slight ticking and rattle noises of videos from people out of luck or f@cked up by BMW .

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #62
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:

Does applying throttle when in a too tall of a gear (eg, going 30MPH in 6th gear and pressing on gas) also cause the dilution of oil and gas you mentioned? I believe this is called "lulling" or something to that effect.

Does this mean that once warmed up the S65 should be pushed at least once per drive, or at least once per few drives?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #63
MikeeM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok , my head phone is allways ready to listen .
Just PM me when you post your video , I've done this many times ,mostly via Email and know how our S65 not should sound !
Many thanks i will do it after work today and PM you later on tonight
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #64
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
It's been a long time since the last post about a B failure, actually.
Funny how some people let psychosis replace rational thinking. Check the OP posting count. Maybe 20% of M3 owners are forum members but 70% join just to report a B failure (which is the OP case). As a result it gets a lot of social media exposure and people get the wrong idea how often this occurs. The answer is still very few.

There is a leaked official B failure rate % from BMW. Don't try to ask me where I got it from, I cannot reveal it. So don't ask, i won't answer.
It's 2-4% including all supercharged and tuned cars (which are evidently more susceptible to engine failure). If you remove SC and tuned cars it's even smaller.

Off course one would like to see a number like 0.2% but 2-4% means 96-98% of people won't be affected. Not perfect but still very reliable.

You realize you just dropped a bombshell here. This is the first time anyone's claimed there were an internal number ran on this defect. So I hope your source is credible, b/c people and other social media sources would pick this up quickly.

That said, I sincerely feel like BMW should pick up the tab for the 2%. If they did their probability of expense, they'll find out that not even 100% of this 2% will end be being a claim that BMW themselves will pay. As in this example, a 3rd part aftermarket warranty is cutting this check, and there are already examples of people preemptively changing out their bearings or electing not to go back to BMW for the fix.

Other cars get crashed, or supercharged, coverted to racecars thus rescinding this eligibility, and thus decreases the universe further. The end cost of fixing this for owner pro-bono will be less than 50% of this 2%. I hope BMW DE and BMWNA reads this...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #65
nthretourNAFTW
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 NA no turbo required

Quote:
I just changed the oil less than 1k miles ago...
Thanks for your feedback. Since your changed oil, did you recently have more inner city short drives than usual ? Has it been a while since you went on an aggressive drive ? And last, does your car gets driven between 6K RPM to redline regularly (at least every other drive) or not ?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #66
xpunisherx
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Well damn! Another one down! This is disconcerting. I hope that everything works out for you OP!