BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
JoeNYC
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Adaptive Headlights Error

I've had the adaptive headlights error on my 2008 M3 for a few years now, so I brought it to the dealer to get it fixed. The headlights are perfectly straight, so the main issue is the annoying unhideable error blocks out the clock in the dashboard.

Dealer quoted me $1700 to replace the headlight assembly!

Price is insane, especially for a completely worthless feature.

Is there a way to pull a fuse so that this error stops popping up, or otherwise reprogramming the computer to ignore this error? I don't give a crap about the dynamic headlights, it's a totally useless feature.

Seems the main two pointless features on the car are related to the headlights (this adaptive/dynamic junk that costs a fortune to fix, and the headlight washers which spray the blue shit all over your hood).
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

yes, without going to into too much detail, both can be coded out.

your going to want to remove the AHL option code (whatever it may be) from your vehicle order, and recode (at a minimum, possibly others) the (N)FRM and KOMBI modules.

as far as the head light washers go from what I recall its a single aktiv / nicht_aktiv in one of the modules. forgot which one tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNYC View Post
I've had the adaptive headlights error on my 2008 M3 for a few years now, so I brought it to the dealer to get it fixed. The headlights are perfectly straight, so the main issue is the annoying unhideable error blocks out the clock in the dashboard.

Dealer quoted me $1700 to replace the headlight assembly!

Price is insane, especially for a completely worthless feature.

Is there a way to pull a fuse so that this error stops popping up, or otherwise reprogramming the computer to ignore this error? I don't give a crap about the dynamic headlights, it's a totally useless feature.

Seems the main two pointless features on the car are related to the headlights (this adaptive/dynamic junk that costs a fortune to fix, and the headlight washers which spray the blue shit all over your hood).
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
JoeNYC
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Thank you for the reply.

By chance does anyone know of a shop in NY/CT/NJ that'll do the recode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3 View Post
yes, without going to into too much detail, both can be coded out.

your going to want to remove the AHL option code (whatever it may be) from your vehicle order, and recode (at a minimum, possibly others) the (N)FRM and KOMBI modules.

as far as the head light washers go from what I recall its a single aktiv / nicht_aktiv in one of the modules. forgot which one tho.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 02:17 AM   #4
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Joe, did you check if BMWhat app by any chance can code this? I'm pretty sure at least the frequency of the head light flusch can be programmed via this app.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman
Joe, did you check if BMWhat app by any chance can code this? I'm pretty sure at least the frequency of the head light flusch can be programmed via this app.

Cheers
I don't think BMWhat can make VO changes. However, a VO change may not do the trick by itself either. I remember when helping someone install KWs, he asked me to remove the EDC code from his VO so he didn't have to spend $400 on an EDC fake-out module. Even after the VO code was removed, the suspension warning persisted until we actually disconnected the EDC control box. If AHL works the same way, unfortunately I don't think there's a box that handles only AHL that could be disconnected without adverse effects elsewhere.

But OP, anyone with a coding cable, software, and the required knowledge can do this. There are even DIYs for altering a VO. I wouldn't expect to find a shop to do it though. Your best bet would be finding a local forum member or talking to Mike Benvo, who can code remotely. I'd do it for free myself if you were down here.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Alex@Alpine can do remote coding as well. could get in touch with him and see if he's got a remote option to code those out.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
anom3
Captain
Rep

the reason for this is most likely because all you did is remove the option code from the vehicle order.

after your remove it from the VO, you have to 'reset' the correct modules (or the whole car). this will make the new VO take effect.

all that a vehicle order does is help assign default values to each of the modules.

so yea, first remove it from the VO, then reset the modules / whole car.

thats my understanding anyways, from both reading online AND real life use.

for example, when i retrofitted a FLA mirror, i first modified the VO and then had to reset the FRM, KOMBI and FZD modules so the fla mirror was activated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I don't think BMWhat can make VO changes. However, a VO change may not do the trick by itself either. I remember when helping someone install KWs, he asked me to remove the EDC code from his VO so he didn't have to spend $400 on an EDC fake-out module. Even after the VO code was removed, the suspension warning persisted until we actually disconnected the EDC control box. If AHL works the same way, unfortunately I don't think there's a box that handles only AHL that could be disconnected without adverse effects elsewhere.

But OP, anyone with a coding cable, software, and the required knowledge can do this. There are even DIYs for altering a VO. I wouldn't expect to find a shop to do it though. Your best bet would be finding a local forum member or talking to Mike Benvo, who can code remotely. I'd do it for free myself if you were down here.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3
the reason for this is most likely because all you did is remove the option code from the vehicle order.

after your remove it from the VO, you have to 'reset' the correct modules (or the whole car). this will make the new VO take effect.

all that a vehicle order does is help assign default values to each of the modules.

so yea, first remove it from the VO, then reset the modules / whole car.

thats my understanding anyways, from both reading online AND real life use.

for example, when i retrofitted a FLA mirror, i first modified the VO and then had to reset the FRM, KOMBI and FZD modules so the fla mirror was activated.

Quote:

I recoded modules and the entire car multiple times without getting rid of the suspension warning. That wasn't my first VO change.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #9
anom3
Captain
Rep

i apologize. was not sure if you were well versed in this stuff, by the sounds of it you are.

just a guess, but perhaps since the EDC has a module of its own it was injecting data to the bus somehow even tho it was 'disabled' everywhere it should have been.

with AHL, i would bet it really is as simple as removing + recoding since its all within the FRM. there is no AHL module, the FRM handles all of it.

i have looked at actually retrofitting the AHL's. theres only a handful of changes in the frm and a couple of other modules that take place so it SHOULD be a simple setting change to disable them.

Quote:
I recoded modules and the entire car multiple times without getting rid of the suspension warning. That wasn't my first VO change.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #10
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3
i apologize. was not sure if you were well versed in this stuff, by the sounds of it you are.

just a guess, but perhaps since the EDC has a module of its own it was injecting data to the bus somehow even tho it was 'disabled' everywhere it should have been.

with AHL, i would bet it really is as simple as removing + recoding since its all within the FRM. there is no AHL module, the FRM handles all of it.

i have looked at actually retrofitting the AHL's. theres only a handful of changes in the frm and a couple of other modules that take place so it SHOULD be a simple setting change to disable them.

Quote:
No worries!

That was my theory about EDC too. Good to know there's reason to believe AHL may be easier to deal with. Good luck OP!

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0