BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
BigRussia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Help! 5 errors codes and reduced power/limp mode!

I installed a catless IPE F1 xpipe on my 2011 with 56k miles on Christmas Eve and been driving with no issues and not a single CEL or error since. This afternoon I turned on the car and while idling in the garage way after cold start cycle had completed the engine suddenly got louder and the warning gongs started going off. I got a bunch of error messages on the nav screen along with the redline dropping down to 4.5k rpm and CEL lights on the dash. I pulled these 5 codes from the CBS screen in the cluster:

CC-ID 31
CC-ID 35
CC-ID 24
CC-ID 354
CC-ID 29

I didnt drive and turned off the car after grabbing the above codes, I have a pic below of the nav screen messages

I did a quick search and found this old thread but it had no real answers or resolution, and no mention of catless xpipe.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744179

What do these codes mean and are they the normal CEL that our cars get when going catless? It doesnt seem like I can really drive my car like this especially with reduced power. Its also alot smellier than before.
Attached Images

Last edited by BigRussia; 01-04-2017 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #2
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Just drove around the block to see if the codes will go away after reading some similar threads having to do with the TPMS. Theyre still there and car is definitely in a reduced power limp mode, has no power beyond 25% throttle and struggles to accelerate

Last edited by BigRussia; 01-02-2017 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
Tracyis300
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Same thing happened to me with my IPE F1 after awhile from installing it.
Turned out to be the fuel sensor.

Run another diagnostic for the codes and then reset them. Drive the car around to see if the cel comes back? If so? Then you will know by looking up the codes.

You might have a miss fire from one or two of the cylinders if your car continues to be in limp mode after the reset? But that's just my guess??:

And be prepared from others saying that it's the rod bearings
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #4
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyis300 View Post

Run another diagnostic for the codes and then reset them. Drive the car around to see if the cel comes back? If so? Then you will know by looking up the codes.

You might have a miss fire from one or two of the cylinders if your car continues to be in limp mode after the reset? But that's just my guess??:

I actually found a thread today where the issue was the low pressure fuel sensor but seems like those people only had the increased emissions code and not the other codes I have. I also saw threads that made it seem like it's actually the Throttle Actuator like this thread, OP has the same 5 codes I do...
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882574

Did you have the same 5 codes and reduced power/limp mode with your IPE F1 or just the increased emissions?

I dont have a diagnostic tool so I dont have a way of pulling the DME codes or resetting/clearing them. Im considering going to a local BMW tuning shop tomorrow that has the scanner and getting the codes pulled to know for sure.

And yep was hoping no one would be saying RBs, but I am preparing for them to say it's the TA
      01-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #5
Tracyis300
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia View Post
Quote:

I actually found a thread today where the issue was the low pressure fuel sensor but seems like those people only had the increased emissions code and not the other codes I have. I also saw threads that made it seem like it's actually the Throttle Actuator like this thread, OP has the same 5 codes I do...
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882574

Did you have the same 5 codes and reduced power/limp mode with your IPE F1 or just the increased emissions?

I dont have a diagnostic tool so I dont have a way of pulling the DME codes or resetting/clearing them. Im considering going to a local BMW tuning shop tomorrow that has the scanner and getting the codes pulled to know for sure.

And yep was hoping no one would be saying RBs, but I am preparing for them to say it's the TA
"Yes" i had all of those codes show up and some.
Car went into limp mode 15mins from getting home, pulled the codes and it told me i had a miss fire, increased emissions, and some?
Did a reset and drove off and the car was fine for about 10mins, then it went into limp mode again, pulled over and restarted the car and then the cel came on, but the car drove fine:
Got home and pulled the codes and it turned out to be the fuel pressure sensors. It scared the crap outta me because the power from the motor was cut short, and then working fine after a restart?!

My guess is that most of the codes that are "triggered" are because of the one main problem not functioning properly?

But definitely let us know after you get it checked out?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Car went into limp mode 15mins from getting home, pulled the codes and it told me i had a miss fire, increased emissions, and some?
Did a reset and drove off and the car was fine for about 10mins, then it went into limp mode again, pulled over and restarted the car and then the cel came on, but the car drove fine:
Got home and pulled the codes and it turned out to be the fuel pressure sensors. It scared the crap outta me because the power from the motor was cut short, and then working fine after a restart?!

My guess is that most of the codes that are "triggered" are because of the one main problem not functioning properly?

Ok good to know you had the same codes, btw how were you resetting and clearing the codes? Im assuming you have your own scanner/tool?

I restarted the car a few times yesterday to see if the errors would go away on their own but they were always there every time I restarted along with the reduced power/limp mode.
      01-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
Tracyis300
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ok good to know you had the same codes, btw how were you resetting and clearing the codes? Im assuming you have your own scanner/tool?

I restarted the car a few times yesterday to see if the errors would go away on their own but they were always there every time I restarted along with the reduced power/limp mode.
I have the "BMW Xtool" obdii scanner. It's supposedly the one the dealers use? It's great for looking up codes and part numbers.

I advise you to get a OBDII reader. Especially that you're running the full ipe f1. You will get a "increase emissions" code pop up on you at times, and you will have to clear it. Sometimes it will clear itself? But it will take some time to do so.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #8
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Just got the diagnostic ran which cost me $100... only DME code the shop gave me was 2B15 - Throttle Valve Actuator governor monitoring, bank 1....so yep its the TA

But 'governor monitoring'... does that mean its just a sensor or should I replace the whole TA? The shop I got the diagnostic from quoted me $2400 for the replacing both TAs. I can prob DIY it but I rather get it done with asap since I cant drive my car with the constant reduced power/limp mode.
Name:  FullSizeRender(11).jpg
Views: 1488
Size:  94.6 KB
      01-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #9
Tracyis300
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just got the diagnostic ran which cost me $100... only DME code the shop gave me was 2B15 - Throttle Valve Actuator governor monitoring, bank 1....so yep its the TA

But 'governor monitoring'... does that mean its just a sensor or should I replace the whole TA? The shop I got the diagnostic from quoted me $2400 for the replacing both TAs. I can prob DIY it but I rather get it done with asap since I cant drive my car with the constant reduced power/limp mode.
Attachment 1551065
Do both or replace the one thats trashed and replace the gears for the other, before they wear out?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Do both or replace the one thats trashed and replace the gears for the other, before they wear out?
Yep already bought both, figured the other one will probably be on its way out soon too.

Can anyone confirm its really the TA itself and not just a sensor thats bad? Would really save me alot of money rather than replacing two TAs. Or maybe its a good idea to just replace the two TAs anyway?
      01-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Even though seems like no ones is following the thread from the lack of replies or responses, I just wanted to follow up for anyone having the same issues who might dig up it in the future and hopefully helps them out. I replaced both TAs, even though only Bank 1 was having issues. That did the trick and the car hasn't thrown any CEL errors or limp mode since, car is running perfect again.

Last edited by BigRussia; 01-11-2017 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #12
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Even though seems like no ones is following the thread from the lack of replies or responses, I just wanted to follow up for anyone having the same issues who might dig up it in the future and hopefully helps them out. I replaced both TAs, even though only Bank 1 was having issues. That did the trick and the car hasn't thrown any CEL errors or limp mode since. Runs like a champ, though i felt like the throttle felt different, could be a placebo or maybe the ECU needs to calibrate the new TAs.
did you do it at that shop or do it your own. there was a link to OEM actuators and they are less than $700 piece. install doesn't look that hard at all.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #13
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
did you do it at that shop or do it your own. there was a link to OEM actuators and they are less than $700 piece. install doesn't look that hard at all.
Was gonna do it myself, had read up the DIY on here. But since i was going out of town this weekend I had the car towed to my buddy's shop and had him do it. Upgraded my AAA free tow to 100 miles for only $26 and my buddy got the OEM BMW TAs for way cheaper than online and gave me a discount on labor. Car has been running like a champ again, so Im pretty happy especially since Ive taken care of a problem I wont have to worry about anymore while enjoying my car.