BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #45
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Not the whole warranty. They just won't cover anything exhaust related.
Unless you get a Dinan!
Also, they can "try" to relate any HP gain, that they do not approve, as possible engine damage related. Also, try to infer that due to your aftermarket "race" modifications that you are in fact racing the car. If your going for warranty service remove parts and replace with OEM is a good option.

Last edited by M3-S65; 12-30-2013 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #46
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limited Ed Toyota Camry

Quote:
Thank you for letting me know.. I thought about getting Dinan but they are too quite for my taste..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #47
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I like how you say "have to" lie, as if that would be someone's only option. Either get a regular policy like mine that only excludes timed/competitive events, purchase track insurance, or take the risk and suffer the consequences if the risk doesn't work out in your favor. Don't be one of the schmucks perpetrating fraud and making insurance more expensive for the rest of us honest people -- to say nothing of the fact that getting insurance coverage through fraud is hardly worth risking huge fines and possible jail time.

Agree, it was a joke dude. The consiquences and risk isn't worth the trouble one would get into. All though it all counts, the main reason insurance premiums are high in certain areas is because of the average of accidents among the population in the zip codes, I'm willing to bet, plus other factors I'm sure. I used to track in England and would purchase track insurance for the event. I'm pretty sure my USAA policy didn't cover it in England. Luckaly I never needed to use it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #48
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Quote:
Unless you buy the Akra Evo exhaust system used from your SA and BMW installs it for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #49
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas

If your concerned about your warranty don't race it…… Either that or they already flagged you.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #50
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Just look at the advertisements for the current M4 or M3, BMW advertises the ability of the car on the track. They lose every day in court no matter how you might interpret the language in the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #51
Dbcgolf1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, ZCP DCT, Dinan

What for you mean by 'Track'? Are you referring to "Racing" or HPDE - High Performance Driving Event, which is something that is encouraged by BMW and BMWCCA. Not sure about the "Racing" part.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #52
kornykidd0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I've done 2 hpdes, one of which was actually sponsored by my dealership bc they became one of the big name sponsors at NJMP. I've had a few warranty claims (one of which was a throttle actuator) and none were denied by the dealership. They know I track the car albeit sparingly so far. I may have a more 'understanding' CA or whatever they call them as he always asks me about my track times and when my next is. Doesn't seem like he's trying to screw me out of coverage, and of course they haven't yet. My dealership has been supremely good to me, and partly I think it's bc I bought the M over anything else. Seems like M tax has been in my favor for a change.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #53
Desmond Is My Constant
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3, 997, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornykidd0 View Post
I've done 2 hpdes, one of which was actually sponsored by my dealership bc they became one of the big name sponsors at NJMP. I've had a few warranty claims (one of which was a throttle actuator) and none were denied by the dealership. They know I track the car albeit sparingly so far. I may have a more 'understanding' CA or whatever they call them as he always asks me about my track times and when my next is. Doesn't seem like he's trying to screw me out of coverage, and of course they haven't yet. My dealership has been supremely good to me, and partly I think it's bc I bought the M over anything else. Seems like M tax has been in my favor for a change.
Which dealership is this in NJ?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #54
kornykidd0
Private
Rep

BMW of Mt Laurel. Chris Williams is my assistant/attendant or whatever and he's been nothing but phenomenal for the past 2 years of ownership. They also just became a Dinan authorized dealership/distributor if that floats your boat.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #55
Desmond Is My Constant
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3, 997, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornykidd0 View Post
BMW of Mt Laurel. Chris Williams is my assistant/attendant or whatever and he's been nothing but phenomenal for the past 2 years of ownership. They also just became a Dinan authorized dealership/distributor if that floats your boat.
Meh, they are almost in PA If they were close to NYC, I'd love to take my car there for service.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #56
NELSON.MLGB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 JB M3

BMW CAN deny any warranty claim for ANYTHING, and that is what their service departments do.
Calgary BMW refused to fix my horn becuase I have aftermarket angle eyes, they said that I cut the wire when I was installing my AEs lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #57
kornykidd0
Private
Rep

Yeah, sucks if you're far north like that. These guys have been quick on the repairs, always a new loaner (even when 'all loaners are taken' they've made it work), and they've squeezed me in on more than one occasion. Typical stealer ship prices of course, but they've also tossed me a bone on some routine maintenance and such. It's a lot to make that trip, but for anyone that's closer I can't rec the dealership enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:05 AM   #58
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
They can deny warranty work for a variety of reasons. Tracking can be one of them.

I doubt they can look up nav locations as that's a breach of privacy.
For sure. You own the car. They don't own you.

Not to mention they could just use "excessive wear" to cite probable tracking.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #59
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
how exactly would the dealer know if your tracking it anyway?

1. Have guys who scour various websites for photos of owners racing (many people post photos so this would be quite easy)
2. Have guys who actually attend events and write down plates/VINs (has happened with several manufacturers)
3. Look for obvious signs of race use, such as melted components or heat-stressed items (think back to the STI "Brown-bo" brakes where the calipers would change color after track use)
4. Notice a history of items like brakes wearing out way too quickly (car shouldn't need new discs every 10k)
5. Take a wild guess and actually be correct (they've been around cars and people long enough to know when someone is lying)
I can say that #1 is practiced at my local dealership. I didn't get denied for warranty coverage, but they found my thread, on m3forum, bashing the dealership after they created problems when my cooling system failed. The stupid fuck manager refused to admit that they messed up my car, and now I'm banned from their service department.

Here's the thread:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=457461
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #60
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65 View Post
Unless you get a Dinan!
Also, they can "try" to relate any HP gain, that they do not approve, as possible engine damage related. Also, try to infer that due to your aftermarket "race" modifications that you are in fact racing the car. If your going for warranty service remove parts and replace with OEM is a good option.
Don't be so sure about that Dinan warranty.... yes it is a Dinan warranty, NOT a BMW warranty once you install their parts.
Lets say you get the Dinan X-pipe, intake and tune. Then your bearings get fried and your engine blows. Who's going to cover that???
Same thing has happened to the N54 guys where turbos and waste gates failed (known issues), and BMW pointed the finger at Dinan and Dinan pointed the finger at BMW since it's a know issue.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #61
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Don't be so sure about that Dinan warranty.... yes it is a Dinan warranty, NOT a BMW warranty once you install their parts.
Lets say you get the Dinan X-pipe, intake and tune. Then your bearings get fried and your engine blows. Who's going to cover that???
Same thing has happened to the N54 guys where turbos and waste gates failed (known issues), and BMW pointed the finger at Dinan and Dinan pointed the finger at BMW since it's a know issue.
Couldn't you just take it to a Dinan-authorized BMW dealer to cover both of your bases? I understand that Dinan and BMW might argue over who foots the bill, but you as the customer could say, "Look, we all know that whichever of you ends up paying, it definitely won't be ME paying, so get it fixed and you can sort out the paperwork among yourselves afterward."

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #62
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Couldn't you just take it to a Dinan-authorized BMW dealer to cover both of your bases? I understand that Dinan and BMW might argue over who foots the bill, but you as the customer could say, "Look, we all know that whichever of you ends up paying, it definitely won't be ME paying, so get it fixed and you can sort out the paperwork among yourselves afterward."
Yes the one I go to in Portchester NY is a BMW Dinan authorized dealer and they will honor any Dinan parts but a non-Dinan BMW shop would not honor it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #63
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
You can try to do that, but I'm just letting you know they have BOTH said it's not their fault. There's was a big post on E90post a few years ago.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0