BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

10-21-2016, 11:53 PM   #1
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Seeking opinions/knowledge - Audi RS4

So I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2007 RS4. Wife said we need another AWD vehicle, so...be careful what you ask for. Anyway, I found a nice, low mileage (52k) example at a good price. It's tuned a bit; exhaust, Bilstein coilovers, Volk wheels, and a short shift kit. Looks to be in fantastic condition and according to the owner it's in better than average condition as it's been a second car. He's the second owner, purchased as a trade in from Audi.
I am not real familiar with the RS4. They are fairly rare, I think around 3000 made during their 2 years. Everything I read speaks pretty highly of them but most of the reviews are old, posted by people who had them during the first few years of production. I know they don't suffer the same issues as the S4 and don't need major maintenance due to the chain tensioners (RS4 has metal guides, not plastic) and it's supposedly a pretty stout engine/trans. They do need the valves cleaned every few years, which is common on Audi motors apparently. This one had the cleaning done at 49k and the owner said they were actually fairly clean and he did it as preventative maintenance, not due to a lack of power, which is an indicator. The factory suspension, which apparently performs pretty well, are also notorious for failure so the Bilsteins take care of that issue. Other than that, I'm not finding many reasons not to buy it.
Anyone on here have experience with them? I'm trying to get BMW guys opinions as well as opinions from some Audi guys. If anyone has tips I'm all ears. Thanks!

JD
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 12:12 AM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Slow, understeer, heavy
      10-22-2016, 12:22 AM   #3
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Slow, understeer, heavy
Yeah, much heavier than the M, but as stated in the OP, I need AWD which is generally going to add weight. But thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 01:56 AM   #4
Biirdman50
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Great looking car. Will go down as a classic Audi. Make sure all maintance was up to par and get ready to put some money down for carbon cleaning. All in all a great car to drive in all seasons. That engine sound 5k rpm+is great!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #5
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biirdman50 View Post
Great looking car. Will go down as a classic Audi. Make sure all maintance was up to par and get ready to put some money down for carbon cleaning. All in all a great car to drive in all seasons. That engine sound 5k rpm+is great!
Yeah, they are pretty mean looking in person. I think it will be similar to the E92 in that it will be the last NA V8 in an Audi and will always have a cult following. Plus they're all 6 speeds, also becoming a relic as we al know. I'm hoping it's a car I can essentially drive for "free".
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #6
/Rock//It///M
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

One of the best looking audi's. Its a real great car. My friend has a yellow one and loves it. His dad has been a porsche audi mechanic for 30 years. The main issue is the carbon deposit on the heads. They have to be pulled off and cleaned. Cant remember the intervals. But thats one of the reasons i didnt buy one.
We had an E63 w conti dws. And never got stuck in the NY snow, so i picked the E90 M and have dedicated snows for this winter.
Question is. Why do you really need awd. ?
      10-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #7
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I've considered the RS4 in the past and from what I've read I think you have a good understanding of what to be aware of. Carbon clean is needed anywhere between every 20k-60k and runs about $1500 I think. The shocks are already replaced so the only other thing is don't expect a track star and you'll likely be very happy with it. Sounds like a good find so what's the cost?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by /Rock//It///M View Post
One of the best looking audi's. Its a real great car. My friend has a yellow one and loves it. His dad has been a porsche audi mechanic for 30 years. The main issue is the carbon deposit on the heads. They have to be pulled off and cleaned. Cant remember the intervals. But thats one of the reasons i didnt buy one.
We had an E63 w conti dws. And never got stuck in the NY snow, so i picked the E90 M and have dedicated snows for this winter.
Question is. Why do you really need awd. ?
The wife, she's a worry wort. We have an X5 and I drive a RWD IS350 right now for work and it's fine in the snow. But, if it's snowing here she wants me to take the X5 and she doesn't want to drive the Lexus. So, out with the Lexus, in with the Audi. Which is fine by me, lol. First time I can blame a German performance car purchase on my wife. Of course, I could buy something more sensible, but why do that?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I've considered the RS4 in the past and from what I've read I think you have a good understanding of what to be aware of. Carbon clean is needed anywhere between every 20k-60k and runs about $1500 I think. The shocks are already replaced so the only other thing is don't expect a track star and you'll likely be very happy with it. Sounds like a good find so what's the cost?

Agreed. other than the well documented issues they seem to be stout.

$32k purchase price.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #10
dkallen21
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 CS & '08 E92 M3

My friend had an RS5, the RS models are good cars. I like the M better - more sport, less flashy.

Go hit Audizine if you want real opinions for the RS4.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #11
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
I'm still not sure how people decide that they need AWD--any vehicle be it FWD/RWD/AWD can be made to get up and go (from a stop) via proper rubber; stopping isn't aided/determined by the driven wheels
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6015.50
      10-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #12
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Horse and Buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
Agreed. other than the well documented issues they seem to be stout.

$32k purchase price.
These cars are quite rare and still in high demand by enthusiasts like us, so that's a great price at that mileage!

I'm in a similar decision point as I go back and forth between selling my near mint-condition Z4M for a "stripper" 6MT E90 M3 or a B7 RS4.

I've driven both cars on extended test drives many times, the E90 M3 most recently, and I admit that the M3 just slightly out guns the RS4 on dynamics, handling, and overall performance. Simply put, I've found it to be the more exciting car to drive fast, but the RS4 is a bit more tractable for daily street driving, though you could still daily-drive an M3 no problem.

Yet, there's something curiously alluring about the RS4 that makes it hard to put aside, even in the company of the M3. Perhaps it's the fact that they are quite rare, or that it's a bespoke "RS" Audi model with a high-revving NA V8 and AWD with a stick. Also, I think it's got delicious curves and some of the best proportions on any modern Audi family sedan

They're both fantastic cars and you won't go wrong with that RS4. Just make sure the seller is up-front with the maintenance history.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #13
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys! Ppi Wednesday
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #14
MDIAU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW e92M

Don't do it, unless you need AWD. I had a e92M before selling it for the sprint blue RS4. Kept it for a year and traded for another e92M.

What I liked on the RS4
AWD
Flat bottom euro steering wheel

What I didn't like
Carbon cleaning
Felt slow, very slow heavy compared for my dct e92M
Dated exterior "subjective"
Door molding warping
Lack of aftermarket options
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      10-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #15
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Im not looking for it to replace the M. I plan to drive it and if i dont like it i should be able to sell pretty easily at no loss.

Last edited by JD3; 10-23-2016 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #16
kawstik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

I owned a Yellow B7 RS4 for a few years when I was living in Denver. Best looking German small sedan IMO. Great car, but they come with their problems, namely the carbon cleaning. To stay on top of it it'll run you around $1,000 every 20k miles. Not a deal breaker, but it's a pain.

Careful with 2007 RS4s. Earlier models had clutch issues where the clutch could stick to the floor, and/or slip badly due to an inadequate return pipe diameter for the slave cylinder.
      10-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #17
OzCraig
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 E90, DCT, Space Grey

Hey,

I had a B7 for a while and it was like a German Alfa, it didn't work properly most of the time but when it did it was nice.
Thoughts:
The interior is quite nice, some say it is a step up from the BMW interior, well... the bits that lined up. The interior panel gaps near the doors and A pillars were less than perfect.
The AWD was great for trips to the snow but not much else.
The DRC failed twice on me resulting in the whole system being replaced both times.
It developed poor throttle response over time which turned out to be carbon coking of the inlet manifold.
The clutch pedal went wonky at one point, the dealer fixed it but didn't really off an explanation as to why it happened.

Overall it wasn't a bad car, it just wasn't that great for the money and the way Audi positioned it as an "M3 killer". It really isn't.

Hope this helps,
Craig
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #18
OzCraig
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 E90, DCT, Space Grey

Double post - Apologies

Last edited by OzCraig; 10-23-2016 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: Double post - Apologies
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 08:07 AM   #19
m3nace92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

audis are very temperamental cars. stay on top of the scheduled maintenance and carbon cleaning though and they're fantastic. i personally think these are the best looking cars audi ever made. curves in all the right places but still somewhat understated. the motor is great but an incredible pain in the ass to work on.

as previously mentioned, don't expect a track star. the car is nose heavy due to the motor hanging over the front axle. awd system is second to none though and if the main reason you're getting it is for poor weather and winters then you won't be disappointed.

as far as the aftermarket mods/support, it's really not much different than the e9x m. basically supercharge it for any real power otherwise it's limited. the m has more options for brands/tuners than the rs4 but that's about it. subjective but i honestly think the 4.2 audi v8 is one of the better sounding motors in its class.

anyways, for an awd commuter, you really can't get much better. it'll still be fun, even if not as capable in performance as the m, and it won't leave you stranded in shitty weather (as long as you stay on top of maintenance). post some pictures when/if you bring it home
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #20
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the additional comments. Good stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #21
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
I'm still not sure how people decide that they need AWD--any vehicle be it FWD/RWD/AWD can be made to get up and go (from a stop) via proper rubber; stopping isn't aided/determined by the driven wheels
Overall I agree - AWD should not be a dealbreaker in deciding a car for winter driving.

However, needing to start on a snow/ice covered incline, AWD will prove much more effective. I remember a handful of times being stuck on an incline in my previous M3 and 335I with winter tires. One time I had to go in reverse with oncoming traffic to go back to the bottom and cut thru a neighborhood to avoid stopping and keep momentum.

I came from a B8.5 S4 with a magical Quattro setup (crown diff / rear sports diff) and winter tires. Absolute tank in the winter. Still sold it to go to an M3 as a daily in Michigan weather - because it's that much better 98 percent of the year.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #22
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biirdman50 View Post
Amazing car because it looks like a plain vanilla A4 to the not-knowing. Brilliant Q ship. A chimpanzee can drive it fast. Sounds amazing too.

It does understeer a little bit but really the only knock is how reliable they will be. They are very complex machines and not a lot of dealerships around. Parts cost as much as BMW parts even though many are VW parts.

Otherwise, a truly special car. Especially the original with the V8
Appreciate 0