BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

03-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
White08M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Exhaust? Which one?

Hi All,

i know the last thing we need on here is another exhaust thread. but anyway here it goes.

ive been researching exhausts for over a month now. i am SO confused on which one to go with. I was really loving the Active Autowerkes, but now im hearing it isnt really loud. I def want something with some good sound. was looking more towards the F1, vorsteiner sound. But in that case, the price gets to high.

anyone have any input? recommendations? which one would you go with if you had the choice. i havent really had a chance to hear any in person, and if im dropping 3gs, i wanna know its gunna sound good, and perform well.

also im leaning towards AA because they address performance as well. high HP and Torque gains....i dont know.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated....

thanks in advance all!

E92 ///M3/Alpine White/6MT/Tech/VRS Boot Lid/UUC SSK/H&R Sport Drop/Hamann lip/ Remus Race Exhaust...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
Babaganush
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M3

I recommend going with AA. It's louder than you think ( especially outside of the car)...you can hear the car coming from a couple blocks away. It also gets louder after you've put some miles on it. After a few track days, my exhaust has definitely gotten louder. It may not be as loud as some others but I think it's plenty. At higher RPMs it absolutely screams. And at lower RPMs it's noticeable but not obnoxious.

Also, there is a big benefit in the lack of drone and noise in the cabin that is provided by the noise canceling chambers. And finally, if you decide it's still not loud enough, you can always upgrade with the X Pipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

X-pipe FTMFW!

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
yosepp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe-Alpine White

REVINORA!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Will you be addidng an X-pipe later on ? If so then dont go for the LOUD exhaust .

If you're talkign full systems I peronally went AA but it was really close between a FULL AA or just AA X-pipe with an Eisenmann sport.

For cost savings and great performance (just louder) Id go RPI.

This is assuming you dont mind getting rid of your cat.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Cab5er
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 (Sold) 13 A1

Yep, I feel the same way. Hard to drop that much dough without hearing it in person first. I'm gonna wait and hear some of these before I make up my mind. Like previously mentioned, it depends on if you are doing full system or muffler only. I'm liking the Vorstenier but its $$$

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
drsnooz
Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 M5

Best sound for the least amount of money will be the Remus race with SS X-pipe. Will run you $2K before installation and it would sound sick. Although there are no vids for the Remus/SS X-Pipe combo there are some of the ACS Race/SS X-Pipe combo which would sound same. Here's the link:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203152

I'm about to get my Remus race and SS X-pipe hopefully this week. Can't wait!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
JPH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

I am in the same boat and have not heard the A.A. in person. I have heard the Eisenmann race and sport. Sport is super-quiet, same as stock...just deeper tone. Eis. Race is pretty damn loud. From some PMs with JLevi, here is what I understand the volume to be...on a very rough scale:

Quiet:
Eisenmann sport

Active Autowerke fits in about here (between quiet and med., closer to medium)

Medium:
Vorsteiner titanium

Loud:
Eisenmann race

RPi and others

I am NOT interested in loud as I know from experience, it gets old for a daily driver. Anybody want to correct me on the above or add anything to this? I understand the AA to not be that loud, am I wrong?

See also: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232001
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
I just ordered my AA sig eshaust. I'm in the same boat as you I've never heard it in person. I'm hoping its louder than stock, but not to loud because its my dd. We will see in a few weeks cant wait.
      03-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
///M PWR 00
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Im waiting to hear good videos of the full Gintani
      03-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #11
Steveo58
-Steveo-
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I have a Meisterschaft GT and it's the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard. It's loud, but in a good way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by White08M3 View Post
Hi All,

i know the last thing we need on here is another exhaust thread. but anyway here it goes.

ive been researching exhausts for over a month now. i am SO confused on which one to go with. I was really loving the Active Autowerkes, but now im hearing it isnt really loud. I def want something with some good sound. was looking more towards the F1, vorsteiner sound. But in that case, the price gets to high.

anyone have any input? recommendations? which one would you go with if you had the choice. i havent really had a chance to hear any in person, and if im dropping 3gs, i wanna know its gunna sound good, and perform well.

also im leaning towards AA because they address performance as well. high HP and Torque gains....i dont know.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated....

thanks in advance all!
      03-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #12
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

White Manny212 just ordered the AA not sure how soon he's going to receive and install, but once he does I'm sure you could meet up w/ him so you could hear it in person if you haven't done so already...

my suggestion is save up a lil more and get the VRS Ti but I'm biased

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 05:39 AM   #13
cclboss
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E90 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaganush View Post
I recommend going with AA. It's louder than you think ( especially outside of the car)...you can hear the car coming from a couple blocks away. It also gets louder after you've put some miles on it. After a few track days, my exhaust has definitely gotten louder. It may not be as loud as some others but I think it's plenty. At higher RPMs it absolutely screams. And at lower RPMs it's noticeable but not obnoxious.

Also, there is a big benefit in the lack of drone and noise in the cabin that is provided by the noise canceling chambers. And finally, if you decide it's still not loud enough, you can always upgrade with the X Pipe.
The AA is actually pretty loud even on idle but the sound is more of a subwoofer bass sound than the F1 Ferrari sound. Also, there is drone/resonance that is very noticeable when the engine is in the 1,700-2,000 rpm range. If you drive a DCT, like me, then putting it in auto is very annoying in city driving since the transmission tries to shift up to get fuel economy and hits this rpm range all the time. I usually drive in manual and keep the rev above 2000 but not so good for fuel economy.

Hope this helps, I was looking for more of an F1 sound too but didn't get it with AA...guess I'll have to drive my F360 for that.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 06:55 AM   #14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

If you want something that will put hair on your chest (nuts) for a reasonable price, RPI.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #15
JPH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
If you want something that will put hair on your chest (nuts) for a reasonable price, RPI.
^
You can then trim the hair, ball it up and place it in your ears to save your hearing...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #16
Cab5er
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 (Sold) 13 A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
^
You can then trim the hair, ball it up and place it in your ears to save your hearing...
That puts a funny picture in my head.

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0