BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

05-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #111
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I contend that all DCT owners who chose DCT because of its pure performance advantage should also choose 18" wheels for the same reason. The ultimate contradiction would be DCT with 20" wheels.

Last edited by LarThaL; 05-19-2012 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #112
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
If you really want to have fun, to feel like you are fully engaged and one with the car, turn traction control off instead of giving up the DCT. The transmission is one aspect of the driving experience and just because you are rowing your own gears doesn't make it more engaging for the overall driving experience. Now you want to talk about taking away from the fun, DSC takes away ALL the fun, MDM takes away MOST of the fun. You want to feel like a real driver, you want to feel like you are actually driving (man handling) the car, DSC OFF, not oh I drive a 6SPD.

Mods:
Wheels/Tires:
OEM 18" Style 219/ Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, 245F/265R
Suspension: Eibach Pro-Kit Springs w/ e36 M3 bumpstops
Engine/Drivetrain Modifications:
AA Green Filter
AA Pulley
Performance Friction front BBK
Exhaust: Akrapovic Evolution

As the ///M gods intended...
DCT - S5
DSC - OFF
EDC - SPORT

///M philosophy is technology based, the M-DCT is a big part of what makes an e92 M3. That is why I bought this car the way it is. We all got our cars for different reasons but there are much better manual transmissions out there. Just saying.
+1

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #113
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
If you really want to have fun, to feel like you are fully engaged and one with the car, turn traction control off instead of giving up the DCT. The transmission is one aspect of the driving experience and just because you are rowing your own gears doesn't make it more engaging for the overall driving experience. Now you want to talk about taking away from the fun, DSC takes away ALL the fun, MDM takes away MOST of the fun. You want to feel like a real driver, you want to feel like you are actually driving (man handling) the car, DSC OFF, not oh I drive a 6SPD.

Mods:
Wheels/Tires:
AA Green Filter
AA Pulley

DCT - S5
DSC - OFF
EDC - SPORT

///M philosophy is technology based, the M-DCT is a big part of what makes an e92 M3. That is why I bought this car the way it is. We all got our cars for different reasons but there are much better manual transmissions out there. Just saying.
Agree....mostly. That's why I have a 6-speed and drive with the DSC off when I am in a real focused driving mood. However, on public roads, with less than perfect pavement, pedestrians, traffic, etc, one slight miscalculation or sudden unexpected move from your car and you could be in deep shit. My DSC-off driving is on well known roads at times when there is limited traffic.

I have spent plenty of time behind the wheel of many dual clutch cars. Better performance, less overall fun. That said, if there was a car that I really liked in all other ways and it only came with dual clutch, I would still buy it. Likewise, if my goal was the fastest track times, I would go with dual clutch. For pure driving enjoyment on the street, manual all the way.
      05-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #114
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:

Mods:
Wheels/Tires:
AA Green Filter
AA Pulley

DCT - S5
DSC - OFF
EDC - SPORT

Nice post and I do agree

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #115
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
Sacrilege!

Yeah, I feel you. I'd like a 6mt M3 as a second ride...just to satisfy the occasional yearning.
I had to get the DCT to appease the wife, but I have an S2000 to "satisfy the yearning". This is a much less expensive alternative. You won't even miss the "high revs"...the S2k makes the M3 look like a "lazy muscle car".

I've always driven a manual transmission, in fact this is my first vehicle with an automatic mode (DCT is officially a "manual" with an automatic mode-and it shows, the auto mode is far from perfect). I am absolutely happy with the DCT, but it is most likely because I can still get my fix on a true 6 speed manual gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #116
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

Get a rogue ssk ! Was my first mod then after 16K I just added zhp knob. Was gong to go with the performance knob but all metal knobs get got as ff . was a Butch in my wifes rsx-s.

Still have the spring
      05-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #117
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

The DCT M3 may even be the second-best car in the world after the M3 manual. " Car an Driver.

So i'm not surprised you went back to a 6SPD.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #118
understeer
Usual Suspect
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3

If you need to be shifting gears with a manual transmission to concentrate on driving you probably should not be driving at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #119
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by understeer View Post
If you need to be shifting gears with a manual transmission to concentrate on driving you probably should not be driving at all.
What an utterly ridiculous post.

I think you just underteered off into the bushes
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #120
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Don't worry, the difficult shift into 2nd will disappear after you've put about 2200 miles on that new tranny. Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Not true.
Ok, let me rephrase. The shift will still take a fair amount of time and be tricky to engage smoothly (particularly when shifting near redline), but the amount of resistance you encounter shifting into 2nd will dramatically reduce after about 2200 miles, especially on a 3>2 shift.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #121
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

^Doesn't matter. This is a silly topic anyways (but a never-ending one), as is the other similar one that's going on right now.

There are viable rebuttals for every point people are making, on either sides of the fence.

But, that doesn't seem to stop people from spewing out claims like it's going to convince the others.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34

Last edited by OC3; 05-21-2012 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0