BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

07-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #23
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
It does 0-60 in 5.0 while towing an M3 to the dealer service dept
i've never head of a car visiting service department more than mercedes, watch and u'll see
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 03:13 AM   #24
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
i've never head of a car visiting service department more than mercedes, watch and u'll see
My 2001 Porsche Boxster S visited the service department multiple times... starting at fewer than 2000 miles, up until I sold it, before 30K miles. Great car, but I feared owning it outside of warranty, considering all the dealer visits it had within warranty. I think the same thing would have happened with a 2008 M3 w/DCT. Frankly, that ruins the ownership experience. Who wants to think of their car as a ticking time bomb? If I feel like "I gotta sell this thing before warranty's up" that limits my freedom with the car. Major I've learned from experience what makes me satisfied with a car. I'm sure as hell glad I went with my gut on choosing the C63 over the M3.

MB has improved. Read the JD Power surveys, not to mention this board compared to the C63 board. LOL, the M3 sounds like a real POS if you read M3post, SORRY BUT IT'S TRUE. COMPLAINTS OUTWEIGH PRAISE. BMW released M-DCT before it was proven. For many BMW enthusiasts, that is acceptable. Not for me.
      07-30-2008, 05:19 AM   #25
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
and thats the reason why Mercedes dont offer 4y/50m warranty, smart isnt it. I had 2 benzes for 10 yrs, its was a MF taking it for minor service at the dealership. That was why its was a garage queen. these are my high cost of ownership in order: BMW. Mbenz, Porsche

Last edited by ase2dais; 07-30-2008 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 05:39 AM   #26
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
LOL, the M3 sounds like a real POS if you read M3post, SORRY BUT IT'S TRUE. COMPLAINTS OUTWEIGH PRAISE. BMW released M-DCT before it was proven. For many BMW enthusiasts, that is acceptable. Not for me.
Please read my post here if you haven't. Not a good way to look at things.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #27
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post

Either way this is a good example that track and atmospheric conditions play a factor and you cannot compare vehicles on two seperate days....
+1....

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #28
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
My 2001 Porsche Boxster S visited the service department multiple times... starting at fewer than 2000 miles, up until I sold it, before 30K miles. Great car, but I feared owning it outside of warranty, considering all the dealer visits it had within warranty. I think the same thing would have happened with a 2008 M3 w/DCT. Frankly, that ruins the ownership experience. Who wants to think of their car as a ticking time bomb? If I feel like "I gotta sell this thing before warranty's up" that limits my freedom with the car. Major I've learned from experience what makes me satisfied with a car. I'm sure as hell glad I went with my gut on choosing the C63 over the M3.

MB has improved. Read the JD Power surveys, not to mention this board compared to the C63 board. LOL, the M3 sounds like a real POS if you read M3post, SORRY BUT IT'S TRUE. COMPLAINTS OUTWEIGH PRAISE. BMW released M-DCT before it was proven. For many BMW enthusiasts, that is acceptable. Not for me.

I agree wholeheartedly with you mate, I had a Boxster which was in the dealers quite a bit, puffing black smoke in the morning and having noisy tappets. The air-con gave problems (understandable given that it was 5yr old technology in a new car).

Mercedes have had a bad rap in JD Power reviews but that's a case of customers having higher expectations because of the brand than with most other brands. If the dealer is good and efficient then any problem no matter how big doesn't seem to bad or big of a deal, that how I found my Audi ownership, sure it had the odd fault but these were dealt with efficiently with no trouble to me.

I agree that M-DCT may have be rushed a bit and some complaints could have been avoided but on a whole BMW owners have as high an expectation as Merc and they always seem to do OK in the old JDP ratings.

In your C63 you have the making of a wonderful car with bags of comfort, quality and speed in a very attractive shell, I think someone poke a nerve with their comments and you bite back without really meaning any of what you said.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #29
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:

I must say that I love cars and own (and have owned/still own) several MBs and BMWs as well as other cars. I have had good and bad experiences with both brands. These arguments I think are generally pointless as most will brand an entire manufacturer by a one car experience. But here’s my 5%, I think the C63 is an excellent car and I have always had a great experience with AMG, not so with all other Mercedes as well as a horrendous experience I had with a 2008 BMW that I sold (not at all the M3). In any event, I think you greatly exaggerate that we M owners are generally not pleased with our acquisitions. This is simply not true.
      07-31-2008, 01:09 AM   #30
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

You're right footie, one of my tender nerves must have been exposed

Note to self: don't drink and post!

I think the M3 is a sensational car; I've posted that on the C63 forum. My expectations for it were sky-high after such a long buildup, and I am disappointed in the glitches. I just want BMW do to better, because the driving dynamics and engineering of the M3 are inspiring, and so is the engine. I sound like a moldy-fig, luddite or what have you.... and like mickb said, you hear the same stuff on Porsche boards: "Porsche has lost its way" .... I feel that way about BMW. Who really makes a pure sports sedan anymore? BMW has moved toward MB and Lexus, while Lexus and MB have moved toward BMW. I would love to see something from BMW with the M3's engine and chassis, but without all the techno-gizmos. Something that takes brilliant technology to design and build, but not to drive. Something with superior engineering, but still pure.

I still feel passionate about the BMW brand - that's why I have higher expectations of it than I do MB. Because I know it's a great company and they CAN get it right. It's just that these days, it's a numbers game and they are not a niche company by any means.

My expectations are all out of whack. It's just a car.... pass me another glass of vino.

See it's better I got the C63. Can you imagine my whining if I did have a problem with my E90M3?!? sheeez.
      07-31-2008, 01:30 AM   #31
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
agree

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 02:06 AM   #32
ismelllikepoop
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinhci View Post
agree
except perhaps bmw's
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 09:17 AM   #33
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
That's alright. Just don't drink and drive.

Quote:
... Who really makes a pure sports sedan anymore? ...
PURE sports sedan. That almost sounds like an oxymoron. Hey that's a catchy name for a car. "Introducing the new BMW oxymoron."

Quote:
My expectations are all out of whack. It's just a car.... pass me another glass of vino.
Ok, but hand over your keys first.
      07-31-2008, 11:51 AM   #34
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
You're right footie, one of my tender nerves must have been exposed

I think the M3 is a sensational car; I've posted that on the C63 forum. My expectations for it were sky-high after such a long buildup, and I am disappointed in the glitches. I just want BMW do to better, because the driving dynamics and engineering of the M3 are inspiring, and so is the engine. I sound like a moldy-fig, luddite or what have you.... and like mickb said, you hear the same stuff on Porsche boards: "Porsche has lost its way" .... I feel that way about BMW. Who really makes a pure sports sedan anymore? BMW has moved toward MB and Lexus, while Lexus and MB have moved toward BMW. I would love to see something from BMW with the M3's engine and chassis, but without all the techno-gizmos. Something that takes brilliant technology to design and build, but not to drive. Something with superior engineering, but still pure.

I still feel passionate about the BMW brand - that's why I have higher expectations of it than I do MB. Because I know it's a great company and they CAN get it right. It's just that these days, it's a numbers game and they are not a niche company by any means.

See it's better I got the C63. Can you imagine my whining if I did have a problem with my E90M3?!? sheeez.
Agreed and fair enough!