BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-01-2023, 03:00 PM   #1
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW e92 M3 ZCP

F8X M3/M4 Blue Brakes Upgrade For E9X M3

Anyone seen this kit from Turner? https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...m3/?pdk=AQEBCA

Looks like it is only for the front, would it be possible to get rear calipers to match as well? According to them these do not work with ZCP wheels. Can anyone confirm? Really want a BBK and deciding between this and or StopTech front/rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 10:31 AM   #2
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Over here:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1713861
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 12:33 AM   #3
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsiciliano View Post
Anyone seen this kit from Turner? https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...m3/?pdk=AQEBCA

Looks like it is only for the front, would it be possible to get rear calipers to match as well? According to them these do not work with ZCP wheels. Can anyone confirm? Really want a BBK and deciding between this and or StopTech front/rear.
That's interesting. You weren't kidding- right at the bottom of the listing:

"*Will not ZCP Wheels*"

They wouldn't have put that there without reason.

This kit uses adapter brackets rather than the f8x spindles. One major advantage of this approach is it will not alter the ride height in the front like the f8x spindle approach does.

The major issue here I see is it seems that by using the adapter bracket, it requires custom rotors. The rotors are 382x36mm, with unknown offset, which is not the stock f8x size.

The stock m4 rotors are 380x30. Possible that they needed a custom rotor to work with the adapter bracket. Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate the rotors individually on ECS or Turner. The use of the adapter bracket and rotor combination is probably why the ZCP wheels don't work with this kit. Especially when we know doing this conversion using the f8x spindles works fine with the ZCP wheels.

I'm not sure I'd want to do the conversion that way, as not being able to use stock size rotors is a major disadvantage. Sourcing replacement rotors would suck compared to being able to use a readily available OEM or aftermarket f8x rotor.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 09:05 AM   #4
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW e92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
That's interesting. You weren't kidding- right at the bottom of the listing:

"*Will not ZCP Wheels*"

They wouldn't have put that there without reason.

This kit uses adapter brackets rather than the f8x spindles. One major advantage of this approach is it will not alter the ride height in the front like the f8x spindle approach does.

The major issue here I see is it seems that by using the adapter bracket, it requires custom rotors. The rotors are 382x36mm, with unknown offset, which is not the stock f8x size.

The stock m4 rotors are 380x30. Possible that they needed a custom rotor to work with the adapter bracket. Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate the rotors individually on ECS or Turner. The use of the adapter bracket and rotor combination is probably why the ZCP wheels don't work with this kit. Especially when we know doing this conversion using the f8x spindles works fine with the ZCP wheels.

I'm not sure I'd want to do the conversion that way, as not being able to use stock size rotors is a major disadvantage. Sourcing replacement rotors would suck compared to being able to use a readily available OEM or aftermarket f8x rotor.
This is good information, I do have ZCP wheels and want to continue using them so it looks like this approach will not work. With that in mind, do you think it would be better to go the stoptech F/R BBK kit or go the spindle route. This may be more of a budget question but $5-6k is the most I'd want to spend and I can probably get the stoptech kit for that.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 12:36 AM   #5
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsiciliano View Post
This is good information, I do have ZCP wheels and want to continue using them so it looks like this approach will not work. With that in mind, do you think it would be better to go the stoptech F/R BBK kit or go the spindle route. This may be more of a budget question but $5-6k is the most I'd want to spend and I can probably get the stoptech kit for that.
The major advantage I see about doing the F8x conversion with spindles vs a proper BBK, is the cost of consumables. When it comes time for replacement rotors, a F8x rotor is going to be dramatically less than a new rotor for a stoptech or brembo kit. When evaluating the cost, it's important to consider the long term cost of ownership in addition to the initial cost up front.

If peak performance is your ultimate goal, a BBK is always the answer.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 10:04 PM   #6
Zero Signal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Those look like the f10 m5 calipers
Appreciate 0