BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

09-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

How often do you get an alignment?

Just curious how often everyone is getting an alignment done. I noticed my passenger side tires were wearing faster than my driver side tires so I'm thinking an alignment may be in order.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Once a year
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Pre-M3 I did it with every tire change, but at the rate this car goes through tires, no way. Honestly I would recommend getting an alignment only when there's an indication that you're out of alignment, like uneven tire wear, noticeable pull in one direction, etc -- or if you have an incident like hitting a curb/pothole at decent speed. But short of that, if everything looks and feels fine, save your cash. Note that depending on your driving style, the insides of the rear tires wearing a bit faster than the outsides is normal.

My last two alignments have been due to uneven tire wear after a few track events (very early cording/chunking), so I added negative camber to the front, subtracted it from the rear, and reduced toe-in on both axles.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
Devant
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 M3

It might not just be an alignment, have you checked for worn suspension parts?

I don’t see why you would do an alignment routinely? Do yours go out of spec from year to year?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 03:44 AM   #5
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I would recommend getting an alignment only when there's an indication that you're out of alignment, like uneven tire wear, noticeable pull in one direction, etc -- or if you have an incident like hitting a curb/pothole at decent speed. But short of that, if everything looks and feels fine, save your cash. Note that depending on your driving style, the insides of the rear tires wearing a bit faster than the outsides is normal.
I agree with this (except perhaps the for wear on the rear tyres)...the problem with cars with wide tyres and power steering is that a lot of the steering feel you used to get with old school cars (think early 911) is lost so your alignment could be out but it wouldn't be that obvious except by unusual tyre wear. Even then if you say had too much toe in and extra negative camber you would only see it as a high wear rate - something that you take for granted with an M3.
I've had mine done once in nearly 6 years - due to unusual tyre wear on one front tyre. The alignment was out but I can't say it felt any different afterwards despite having adjustments that would have been easily felt if done on an early 911.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #6
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Had my M3 since Nov. '11. Never had an alignment, and my from ContiSports have ~20k miles and still going strong.

I did replace the rears (with 295/30/19 PSS) about 2k miles ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
Wilsel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Currently seeking

Routine alignments are the biggest scam in the car repair business. I had a free brake fluid flush at the dealer on Friday (still under free maintenance). They tried to sell me a $150 alignment. My car only has 14k miles on it. The only thing they can adjust is toe anyway (you would need camber plates to change the camber). Since I haven't hit anything, theres no way the steering arms are bent. To change toe you would have to losen the locking nut on the steering rod next to the tie rod, and manually turn the steering arm with a wrench to lengthen or shorten it. Hitting a pothole can't do that. I haven't lowered my car either which can change geometry. I politely declined, but it erks me how many people they rip off each week that don't know any better. I'm willing to bet had I accepted it, my car would of just sat in the back for another hour without going on the rack at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
Devant
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsel View Post
Routine alignments are the biggest scam in the car repair business. I had a free brake fluid flush at the dealer on Friday (still under free maintenance). They tried to sell me a $150 alignment. My car only has 14k miles on it. The only thing they can adjust is toe anyway (you would need camber plates to change the camber). Since I haven't hit anything, theres no way the steering arms are bent. To change toe you would have to losen the locking nut on the steering rod next to the tie rod, and manually turn the steering arm with a wrench to lengthen or shorten it. Hitting a pothole can't do that. I haven't lowered my car either which can change geometry. I politely declined, but it erks me how many people they rip off each week that don't know any better. I'm willing to bet had I accepted it, my car would of just sat in the back for another hour without going on the rack at all.
My thoughts as well. Glad I am not the only one.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #9
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

On a stock suspension car, I'd only do it if there was uneven wear or replaced components.

But with my most recent cars, after I had the suspension modified with camber plates and coilovers I find myself chaning heights and wheels setups then getting alignments more often. I usually try different specs, I'm not a fan of stock alignment specs and I can feel the difference a slight alignment change can make.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
Sinful
Banned
Rep
Drives: Its black and has 4 wheels

Quote:
Thanks for the information...Ill keep this in mind when they try to rip me off next time...:thumbs up:

So does the M3 come stock with a bit more toe out?
So camber is not adjustable on the M3 so what about caster is that adjustable on the M3?

Last edited by Sinful; 09-08-2014 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 05:15 AM   #11
Wilsel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Currently seeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulM3 View Post
Thanks for the information...Ill keep this in mind when they try to rip me off next time...:thumbs up:

So does the M3 come stock with a bit more toe out?
So camber is not adjustable on the M3 so what about caster is that adjustable on the M3?
No. The control arms/spindles don't have any adjusment to them like some other cars. Some cars have an adjusment bushing that can be rotated to change the caster. Here's how it works on a WRX.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
Sinful
Banned
Rep
Drives: Its black and has 4 wheels

Quote:
No. The control arms/spindles don't have any adjusment to them like some other cars. Some cars have an adjusment bushing that can be rotated to change the caster. Here's how it works on a WRX.
Interesting so no camber, caster settings.
So toe is adjustable only, do you know if the M3 comes with a bit of toe out. I thought I read long ago that most performance cars are adjusted with a bit more toe out..

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 05:09 AM   #13
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

The M3 has toe in, not toe out and the camber is adjustable.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2014, 06:32 AM   #14
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
I had one done in seven years of ownership. Tyre wear is even and car doesn't pull.
      09-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #15
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
You can't get the range of adjustment that camber plates provide, but both front and rear camber are adjustable. Not sure where you're getting your information.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 1