BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #45
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Yeah there's no doubt the GTR is custom. It is also best for club racing and is surely better than the GT. I was just talking about the GT kit that is made specifically for the vehicle. Also, I really do believe that if you aren't on the track for at least 50+% of the car's life, you do not need the GTR kit. The GT kit is good enough to last (before replacing the rotors) 20-30000 miles (with hours of track time), and the calipers will last forever. This is the same thing for the GTR, as they use the same rotors, but diff calipers.

I'm all for BBKs and I will be getting a Brembo GT when I get my car, but GTR is overkill unless you are a serious track-junkie that spends most of his/her time there.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 12:38 AM   #46
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
M---You're a modding fool!!!
Yes I am!!!!
      04-04-2008, 12:57 AM   #47
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
Nonono hold on Mexico. Wait till they make a specific application for the E92 M3 (won't be that long). I had a Brembo-employed dude talk to me (not a rep) about why you should get a set MADE for the car, as compared to an equivalent one that you adjust to suit. I can link you the thread (other forum) if you want. This has nothing to do with price, as the similar ones are the same price.

Now, GTR and GT are two different brake systems. The GTR will cost 14K for all 4 wheels, whereas the GT will cost ~ 8K. The difference, as I mentioned above, is mainly the caliper, in that for the GTR, it is made of something else (don't know what) and is quite a bit lighter and stronger.
Would love some more info on this my friend!!! Does the stopping power etc... really change from the GTR to GT? I love the GTīs on my MB!!!
      04-04-2008, 01:01 AM   #48
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Yeah there's no doubt the GTR is custom. It is also best for club racing and is surely better than the GT. I was just talking about the GT kit that is made specifically for the vehicle. Also, I really do believe that if you aren't on the track for at least 50+% of the car's life, you do not need the GTR kit. The GT kit is good enough to last (before replacing the rotors) 20-30000 miles (with hours of track time), and the calipers will last forever. This is the same thing for the GTR, as they use the same rotors, but diff calipers.

I'm all for BBKs and I will be getting a Brembo GT when I get my car, but GTR is overkill unless you are a serious track-junkie that spends most of his/her time there.
Sorry, never mind my last post, got it!!! I go to the track about 3 to 4 times a year. Thatīs it!!! Probably better to go with the GTīs then and save a few!!!!
      04-04-2008, 01:03 AM   #49
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Most definitely!

Make sure to post a thread + opinions!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #50
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Sure thing!!! Any idea when the GTīs will be out?
      04-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #51
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
I would expect in a few weeks. If you're a member on 6speedonline.com, search for "Gary II". He's a Brembo guy (not rep), and may know. He's your best bet short of calling Brembo directly.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 01:47 AM   #52
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Got it and thanks for all the great tips!
      04-04-2008, 01:55 AM   #53
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Sorry, never mind my last post, got it!!! I go to the track about 3 to 4 times a year. Thatīs it!!! Probably better to go with the GTīs then and save a few!!!!
I go to the track about 3 to 4 times a month! I guess I'm lucky to have a motorsports country club an hour away.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #54
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Oh you lucky man you. Must be expensive though, so many times...

Either way, I'm sure you have fun. Have you upgraded the brakes?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #55
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh you lucky man you. Must be expensive though, so many times...

Either way, I'm sure you have fun. Have you upgraded the brakes?
It's cheap compared to other ones in other parts of the country. I pay 5k membership, 120 a month dues, and 60 for every day that you use it. Probably less than what would be blowing every month if I was into golf.

I've heard that people pay over 20k for membership and get less days on the east coast and midwest.

Brakes are stock ceramics and work well for me. I'm 95% leaning to getting the M3 just as long I like the DCT after a test drive and if I do get one I will get a BBK for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #56
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaida442 View Post
It's cheap compared to other ones in other parts of the country. I pay 5k membership, 120 a month dues, and 60 for every day that you use it. Probably less than what would be blowing every month if I was into golf.

I've heard that people pay over 20k for membership and get less days on the east coast and midwest.

Brakes are stock ceramics and work well for me. I'm 95% leaning to getting the M3 just as long I like the DCT after a test drive and if I do get one I will get a BBK for it.
I might get a membership as well so I can go much more often!!!! Hope you get the M, its a great car even. Not quite the GT3, but not too shabby at all either!!!
      04-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #57
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

OK, did some research on the Brembo GTR brake system for the E92 M3. As it appears, these will not be available for another 90 days at least and will cost an Earth shattering US$19,950.00 w/o tax etc…!!! They will likely include an 8 piston front caliper and 15” rotor and 4 piston rear caliper with 14” rotor. On the other hand, in about the same time, Stop Tech will offer a 4 wheel brake system with 4 or 6 piston front calipers and ceramic brakes for about 15K!!! The big difference here is the considerable weight saving and clearly better stopping power than the factory brakes as well as NO FADING thatīs a real issue in the factory brakes. Not likely to be as able as the brembos, but pretty close!!!
      04-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #58
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Mexico! Get the GT system. It will be much more than you'll need if you go a few times a year!

@hakaida 442. How are the ceramics in the wet? Have you tracked in the wet? Lastly, how's the pedal feel? I heard it's harder to heel+toe w/ the ceramics as it's harder to modulate, but I gathered you got used to it!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #59
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Mexico! Get the GT system. It will be much more than you'll need if you go a few times a year!

@hakaida 442. How are the ceramics in the wet? Have you tracked in the wet? Lastly, how's the pedal feel? I heard it's harder to heel+toe w/ the ceramics as it's harder to modulate, but I gathered you got used to it!
Never driven in the wet. I live in vegas.

Pedal feel is ok. You get used to the difference after awhile. It's my left ankle thats been my problem. Too much sports injuries have caught up to me. Maybe it's because I'm a little bow legged, but heel toe is easy for me. haha The brakes are definitely better than the first version that porsche put out. I like high end steel brakes because you dont have to worry about expensive costs down the road and parts are easier to get compared to ceramics.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #60
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
OK, did some research on the Brembo GTR brake system for the E92 M3. As it appears, these will not be available for another 90 days at least and will cost an Earth shattering US$19,950.00 w/o tax etc…!!! They will likely include an 8 piston front caliper and 15” rotor and 4 piston rear caliper with 14” rotor. On the other hand, in about the same time, Stop Tech will offer a 4 wheel brake system with 4 or 6 piston front calipers and ceramic brakes for about 15K!!! The big difference here is the considerable weight saving and clearly better stopping power than the factory brakes as well as NO FADING thatīs a real issue in the factory brakes. Not likely to be as able as the brembos, but pretty close!!!
wtf? 20k?! talk about inflation! I'm sure there's other vendors that can get it for cheaper. Have you tried GMG?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #61
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaida442 View Post
Never driven in the wet. I live in vegas.

Pedal feel is ok. You get used to the difference after awhile. It's my left ankle thats been my problem. Too much sports injuries have caught up to me. Maybe it's because I'm a little bow legged, but heel toe is easy for me. haha The brakes are definitely better than the first version that porsche put out. I like high end steel brakes because you dont have to worry about expensive costs down the road and parts are easier to get compared to ceramics.
Good point. What's the wear like on the ceramics? Other than pads, have you/do you need to replace anything?

Ah you're lucky you're in Vegas. I'm in Montreal, and well...it snows more than it doesn't
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #62
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good point. What's the wear like on the ceramics? Other than pads, have you/do you need to replace anything?

Ah you're lucky you're in Vegas. I'm in Montreal, and well...it snows more than it doesn't
Wear or lack of it on the 2nd gen ceramics is awesome. 1st gen was awful to say the least in my old car. Haven't had to replace anything major yet.

The stoptech carbons sound interesting but I'd like to try them out on someone elses car for a session before seriously considering it. And at 15k, it's not cheap either. At least the brembo gtr is widely known. I'd try other sources for the gtr kit. I'm sure it can be had for less than 15k.

Last edited by hakaida442; 04-04-2008 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #63
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Yeah it would make no sense that it's 20K. By that measure, a similar spec 15'' front/14'' rear GT kit is 8K. The major difference between GT/GTR is the calipers...so...the calipers cost 12K more?

Makes no sense.

I do believe it was 10K back in the day though. (a year ago...ish)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #64
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it would make no sense that it's 20K. By that measure, a similar spec 15'' front/14'' rear GT kit is 8K. The major difference between GT/GTR is the calipers...so...the calipers cost 12K more?

Makes no sense.

I do believe it was 10K back in the day though. (a year ago...ish)
The Brembo BBK for the E92 M3 will be around $7K!!! I am already in line to order them!! And yes, that is the huge price I was quoted on the GTR's, way too much!!!! Must be that they make very few!!
      04-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #65
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Who are you ordering it from? I need to find some sources for when I get mine. Are you ordering local?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #66
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Ordering from Lewis Fan at MW Design Technik up in Canada. He has been great with me and several items I have ordered. I have also done some more research and spoke with a contact of mine at AMG/Afflaterbach. These guys are completing a special car for me!!! Anyway, they said I should NOT get the Brembo GTR brakes (same reasons you mentioned), and also said carbon ceramic in not a good idea if you only get the discs since the calipers would have to be designed all together. Said unsprung weight is the gain since the performance is only optimal within a certain small temperature range that is beneficial mainly only for race cars.