BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #155
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by unique View Post
guys do not do this!!!!!!

I bet that NA feeling will be awesome but for the money you are going to spend just wait for FI, because it will cost alot cheaper and you will get smoked by a boosted M3, and spend alot more money than the guy who supercharged..
I agree with some of the other comments my colleagues made. As an owner of a couple of twin turbo cars and one supercharged car, there are some advantages to staying NA.

1. There is an important weight reduction in the front portion of the car rather than an important weight gain. To me, that is critical for track use and retaining (maybe even slightly improving) the carīs balance and handling capability.

2. This engine is relatively high strung and if you want to get serious with FI you will need to change the engine internals to low compression pistons and rods of boost, an expensive proposition, otherwise you canīt really run any more than ~ 0.34 BAR. See GPower etc… in which case you are looking at $40K!! If you also see GPower or anyone else working of FI though SC without changing the internals, you will see that they are not making over 550bhp (more like 510 to 550) plus adding the weight of the SC, intercooler and enlarged oil cooler. In this kit, we are still NA and pretty much in the same level of hp and torque albeit at a higher cost, but hardly will we be blown away by these cars, lol!!

3. Throttle response and drivability will remain identical to stock and is very important to me when tracking a car. Recall that I do own a number of FI cars and am able to compare.

All this being said, I don’t have absolutely anything against FI. One advantage about FI is that it will not suffer as much as NA engines from differences in altitude and I do like that about my FI cars.
      09-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #156
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
wow, a 997tt one does not overheat that easily, do some research..
name a track day, and i will grab my cousins 997tt and will not only run circles around your "M Division" built track monster, but i will do it without overheating. People get the wrong idea of boosted cars, they are not that bad people

"///M division builds high revving NA motors and I would like to keep with the M philosophy"
hahaha again go do your research, bmw is starting to 'BOOST" there M models starting with the M5 and M6..

goodluck spending north of 30k and when your car is ready to be sold, i can go back to stock and sell my supercharger that i probably bought for 15k for like 9k and take a 6k hit.. goodluck ever putting your car back to stock and selling your "kit"

"I guarantee my bullet proof RD S46 will still be going strong."
hahahhahha you crack me up... are you serious with thinking that your motor will be bullet proof, people are having problems with the motor stock (loss of power, needed a new one, ect) hahahahaha... what makes you think a tuner is going to take your engine apart and add like 90hp to it and make it bulletprrooof i smell the problems that are going to come your way.

dont get me wrong a supercharger is probably the same crap, but it is a cheaper crap, that i can take off if necessary and go to my local bmw dealership and bitchh at them.

and if you dislike FI engines please tell me why you spend 70k on a terribly made bmw and dropped in another 30k for an engine rebuild, then lets say ballpark figures 5k brakes, 2k suspension, 4k rims and tires, thats about 40k in extras on your 70k car, about 110k, you wanted a high revving serious performance car that will give you a value of 110k you shouldve bought a gt3, or used gt2 for that matter.

you are going to invest 40k into your car and not even make it 40k better. in the straights you will get murdered, and in the corners you will get murdered... might as well give that 40k as a donation to bmw to make better cars or something.
Unique, I don’t believe any of us have been anything but supportive of what you have done to your own vehicle and if we have different opinions we suggest these things with manners. I think your tone is uncalled for and please respect the opinions of others. I don’t mind you sharing your opinion but I beseech you not to mock those of others.
      09-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #157
M3 LUST
Banned
Rep
Drives: -

+1, agreed Mexico
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #158
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RS 46 M3

I wasnt saying that 997TT are crap I think they are great! I was simply saying if I were to get a Turbo/SC car it would be a 997TT not a G power M3.

Track day? you are trying to race me in a car that isnt yours(cousins) hahaha!

I dont care what ///M is doing in the future. My car is NA and I want to keep it that way.

Im sorry if what I do with my $$$ bothers you so much but I have grown up dreaming of a NA M3 since I was 15. Im finally at a place in life where I can afford to own one and Im happy with my decision and since its my money I think Im entitled to do this.

I shouldnt say I dislike FI cars that is an overstatement and a poorly structured sentence on my behalf. I simply just dont want a SC M3.

Ummm GT2 is not only a turbo its a twin turbo and good luck finding a GT3 or 2 for 110k and if you do good for you I would still go the route I did.

Im sorry to hear that you do not like your E92 M3.

Im sorry if I offended you in my earlier post Im at work writing these between meeting and my thoughts arent always put in black and white the way I intend them to be. I dont believe I said anything to upset you Unique. I hope we can drop this. I dont care to argue with a person I dont know. If you still feel the need to bash me open up a new topic "Why is serven7 so...." or just PM me but please leave this one for RD 46.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #159
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Couple more questions:

Basically with these mods, you end up with a $100k-$120k M3. Am I right? You also have no drivetrain warranty too, yes?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #160
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Couple more questions:

Basically with these mods, you end up with a $100k-$120k M3. Am I right? You also have no drivetrain warranty too, yes?
Well, most unfortunately, are all bound by an agreement not to discuss price so I hope you understand we can’t really say what the final price of all the mods + car etc… adds up to. I think drive train warranty may still be respected by the BMW dealer, but to be honest with you, I am not at all worried about it even if it is not covered. I would have done these mods with RDSports even if they offered no warranty!! I trust them that much.
      09-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #161
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
How much more is the M5 engine swap (Hamann, Hartge, etc) than the RDSport engine rebuild? A tuned V10 would definitely be unique to have under the hood of an M3.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #162
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDHNTR View Post
How much more is the M5 engine swap (Hamann, Hartge, etc) than the RDSport engine rebuild? A tuned V10 would definitely be unique to have under the hood of an M3.
Yea I do agree with you!! It would be more unique. My bet is that changing to a stroker furnished V10, plus tranny and the like, plus certainly making the car more “front heavy” would cost about $70K. I base this from the fact that the V10 stoker kit is $39,995.00 plus you would have to add the block, full headers and exhaust, the tranny, etc…!!! Bottom line, a lot more!!! Can't tell how much more though. lol!
      09-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #163
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

No problem, BMW-M-Mexico, I understand. I was just using the numbers quoted for the Dinan conversion that have been thrown around in this thread. I guess I'll just figure its similar to that since it seems like they are doing similar modifications.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #164
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
No problem, BMW-M-Mexico, I understand. I was just using the numbers quoted for the Dinan conversion that have been thrown around in this thread. I guess I'll just figure its similar to that since it seems like they are doing similar modifications.
Cool, the Dinan web site quotes their S85 V10 stroker kit at US$39,995.00 and includes boring of the engine, pistons & rings, rods & bearings, crank and ECU modification. It does not include modified throttle bodies (a must if you want 611bhp), headers, downpipes, exhaust, intake (a must on the M5/6 V10 as well if you want 628bhp I think, the intake is not as well designed as that of the M3), so itīs closer, really, to ~ US$50 thousand and not US$40. If memory serves me right, I believe the RDSports web site also lists the “full” modifications for the M5/6 S85 B50 V10 engine for around US$46,900 and does include ALL of the goodies Dinan does not a yields 648bhp!
      09-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #165
unique
SiDeWaYz
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Unique, I don’t believe any of us have been anything but supportive of what you have done to your own vehicle and if we have different opinions we suggest these things with manners. I think your tone is uncalled for and please respect the opinions of others. I don’t mind you sharing your opinion but I beseech you not to mock those of others.
boss, you got it all wrong

i am sorry if the tone of my post came out negative, and after re-reading it i realized it did, so my apologies. what i stated was just my opinion. i think a na m3 will be one badass car, i just didnt think the price was worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #166
unique
SiDeWaYz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serven7 View Post
I wasnt saying that 997TT are crap I think they are great! I was simply saying if I were to get a Turbo/SC car it would be a 997TT not a G power M3.

Track day? you are trying to race me in a car that isnt yours(cousins) hahaha!

I dont care what ///M is doing in the future. My car is NA and I want to keep it that way.

Im sorry if what I do with my $$$ bothers you so much but I have grown up dreaming of a NA M3 since I was 15. Im finally at a place in life where I can afford to own one and Im happy with my decision and since its my money I think Im entitled to do this.

I shouldnt say I dislike FI cars that is an overstatement and a poorly structured sentence on my behalf. I simply just dont want a SC M3.

Ummm GT2 is not only a turbo its a twin turbo and good luck finding a GT3 or 2 for 110k and if you do good for you I would still go the route I did.

Im sorry to hear that you do not like your E92 M3.

Im sorry if I offended you in my earlier post Im at work writing these between meeting and my thoughts arent always put in black and white the way I intend them to be. I dont believe I said anything to upset you Unique. I hope we can drop this. I dont care to argue with a person I dont know. If you still feel the need to bash me open up a new topic "Why is serven7 so...." or just PM me but please leave this one for RD 46.
i completely understand, but you going out of your way and calling out a 997tt with the statement "if i wanted a FI car i would buy a 997tt and overheat" i responded with the fact i can get my cousins car and run more laps in a stock 997tt and staying cooler than you can in your m3. and if you want to be smartass with the comment "race me with your cousins car at the track" i will just laugh at that, because god forbif you go against me with my car..... you will lose, and i can bet you anything...

and i apologize with my negative response i was just stating the obvious on the fact that fi on this car will probably be the better option, except for the 40 pounds you will add in the front, which i guarantee you wont feel a thing
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:19 PM   #167
JMD0977
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT3 and ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
  1. nd54
  2. BMW-M-Mexico
  3. JMD0977
  4. serven7
  5. PencilGeek
PencilGeek ,I had a feeling , even before you posted in this thread, that sooner or later you'd go for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #168
unique
SiDeWaYz
Rep

Quote:
  1. nd54
  2. BMW-M-Mexico
  3. JMD0977
  4. serven7
  5. PencilGeek
you have my favorite m3.........................

goodluck
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #169
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
  1. nd54
  2. BMW-M-Mexico
  3. JMD0977
  4. serven7
  5. PencilGeek
Absolutely fabulous to hear you are also on board Pencilgeek!! I think we’re all going to be very pleased with what we are doing. What is it about the body kit that you are discussing? I’m getting the front and rear aprons but do have some questions. I will PM you!!

Quote:
boss, you got it all wrong
i am sorry if the tone of my post came out negative, and after re-reading it i realized it did, so my apologies. what i stated was just my opinion. i think a na m3 will be one badass car, i just didnt think the price was worth it.
No problem at all Unique, lets just make like if nothing happened!!! lol!!
      09-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #170
JMD0977
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT3 and ....

Quote:
Here's the funny part of the story. I wasn't even considering it at all, until I started talking to Federico about it. I was calling RD Sport about the body kit availablility before SEMA. But of course we eventually started talking about the stroker motor. Once me mentioned the details of the program, I couldn't possibly ignore what he was telling me. And you guys who signed up already, know exactly what I'm talking about. The conversation quickly turned from body kit, to "did this guy just make me an offer I cannot refuse?" Obviously, the answer was yes.

Today, we finalized the deal.

I don't think we even finished the body kit discussion. Guess I'll need to call him back now to discuss it! LOL.
Nice, what do you plan to do with the Ericsson exhaust?
I cant wait to see the RDsport Exhaust System.
I dont know if I'll keep my Ericsson or sell it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #171
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
  1. nd54
  2. BMW-M-Mexico
  3. JMD0977
  4. serven7
  5. PencilGeek
Congrats
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 11:34 PM   #172
nd54
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RDSport RS 46

Wow I'm impressed with how many people are doing this, congrats to all of you!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 12:14 AM   #173
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

What is the compression ratio going to be? What is the redline going to be?Are any modifications to the transmission or rear end needed to be able to handle the extra horsepower and torque? Are new cams being swapped in, or are the stock cams being used? Is anything being done to the heads? Porting? Polishing? Are the stock headers going to be used or are new ones going to be made?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 01:09 AM   #174
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by serven7 View Post
Ive been waiting for this post.

If I wanted some car with 30 pounds of boost that overheated on every track day(G-Power) I would just get a 997TT and do it but I didnt I bought an ///M and I want to keep it that way for two reasons 1. ///M division builds high revving NA motors and I would like to keep with the M philosophy. 2. I dislike FI motors.
Rumor is M division is going FI in the near future. So this looks to be your last M-car.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 01:32 AM   #175
serven7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RS 46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Rumor is M division is going FI in the near future. So this looks to be your last M-car.
It is my fault for posting such a poorly thought out group of sentences. I wrote it doing 7 other things between meetings and this is why I never post but Ive gotten sucked in.

For the record:
I dont dislike FI motors I own an S4 and I like it. I disagree with SC a car that came to me NA, its just a personal opinion nothing more. If the next M3 was FI I would still look into and maybe get it, cant say at this point. The message Im trying to relay is I dont dislike FI motors, I just dont care to SC my car that is NA.

It the part that you quoted is also another misguide group of words.

I do not care to write a long explanation just know that Turbos are great cars. I know this because its what I traded in for my M3. It has never over heated on me I was referring to some not so well built SC kits. 3 different thoughts just got jumbled together in my head and thats the way they came out.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 01:33 AM   #176
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpouldar26 View Post
What is the compression ratio going to be? What is the redline going to be?Are any modifications to the transmission or rear end needed to be able to handle the extra horsepower and torque? Are new cams being swapped in, or are the stock cams being used? Is anything being done to the heads? Porting? Polishing? Are the stock headers going to be used or are new ones going to be made?
Well, I will try and help you.

Considering this upgrade works with DCT, little if any drivetrain modification is needed.

The redline remains the same, the curve gets a hell of a lot fatter though, especially in the mid range. I don't know for sure, but considering the quality of the heads to make the stock power they are more than good enough so I assume they remain the way they are.

I believe RDsport already mentioned they include a full exhaust with headers in the build.
Appreciate 0