BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

12-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
mesropb23
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Help: E92 LCI tail light coding for FRM2 vs FRM3

Hey guys,
Does anyone know the advantages/disadvantes of installing FRM3 and then coding? Rather than just keeping FRM2 and coding?

Both work w/o error codes so why do people upgrade to FRM3?

TIA.
      12-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I would like to know the difference also but either way I doubt it would be worth switching out. I was under the impression that the only reason those shops were recommending the switch is so they can code it with their Autologic. I bought a cable off eBay and coded the FRM2 myself. It's not rocket science.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
08' running FRM2

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesropb23 View Post
Hey guys,
Does anyone know the advantages/disadvantes of installing FRM3 and then coding? Rather than just keeping FRM2 and coding?

Both work w/o error codes so why do people upgrade to FRM3?

TIA.
I'm not aware of any advantages of going to FRM3, perhaps someone else can comment.

I kept the FRM2 and coded out the bulb checks myself. No issues thus far.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
karimz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 jetblack

how do you code it? what happens if i don't code mine? i was thinking of purchasing these: http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...23-3-series-m3

i have a 2007 e92 328. not sure what frm2 or frm3. but if i had frm2. what would my lights not function properly ? or just a bulb error? if so how did you guy code yours yourself?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

The advantages of upgrading to an FRM3 is because any subsequent software update to your FRM2 (for example, when you take the car into the dealership) will wipe out the bulb check code, which will cause your taillights to flicker on startup and display an error message on your iDrive.

With the FRM3, subsequent software updates to the car won't overwrite the LCI bulb check.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
The advantages of upgrading to an FRM3 is because any subsequent software update to your FRM2 (for example, when you take the car into the dealership) will wipe out the bulb check code, which will cause your taillights to flicker on startup and display an error message on your iDrive.

With the FRM3, subsequent software updates to the car won't overwrite the LCI bulb check.
I would like to dispute that. My car went to the dealer for state inspection and while it was there they updated my software to the infamous, you have to buckle up before the car will move, DCT update. My lights were fine because the first thing I did when I got in the car was try out the blinkers to see if my settings got wiped. Now I don't know if they reprogramed the lights for me or what but the lights were working as when I drove in. Either way, it is too easy to hook up my eBay cable and turn bulb check back off. Functionality wise, I have no idea what changed from FRM2 to FRM3.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
I would like to dispute that. My car went to the dealer for state inspection and while it was there they updated my software to the infamous, you have to buckle up before the car will move, DCT update. My lights were fine because the first thing I did when I got in the car was try out the blinkers to see if my settings got wiped. Now I don't know if they reprogramed the lights for me or what but the lights were working as when I drove in. Either way, it is too easy to hook up my eBay cable and turn bulb check back off. Functionality wise, I have no idea what changed from FRM2 to FRM3.
Interesting. I would ask them if they actually went back and removed the bulb check after they updated your car. Additionally, the FRM may not be the module that gets updated for DCT-specific software.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
Sabor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09' e93 335i

can anyone share on how to code the bulb check out yourself using the "ebay cable" I would like to keep my FRM2 module if possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabor View Post
can anyone share on how to code the bulb check out yourself using the "ebay cable" I would like to keep my FRM2 module if possible.
A google search for "bmw coding" should get you there. Good luck!
Appreciate 0