BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

05-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #111
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorrig View Post
It might have been caused by the weather? Has it been hot there lately causing it to overheat?
Yup, im kinda positive the weather has something to do with it. Turning on the ac has something to do with it.

Can someone please pm me on what im supposed to do?

Thank u
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #112
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
here is a very quick picture of the DIY - again, if you are interested i can send you the parts needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 03:38 AM   #113
MisterP
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds82 View Post
For anyone that wants - i can send you the materials and instructions if you want to do this yourself - it will save time for shipping them.

in short, you just need to cut the wires, strip them, and solder the new wires into place. I will include heatshrink to protect the wires.

If you want to do this yourself - Please e-mail me your name and address, and i can send the parts & instructions to you.
PM'd you...
Emaile'd you.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 03:46 AM   #114
SIIK2NR
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Quote:
here is a very quick picture of the DIY - again, if you are interested i can send you the parts needed.
Damn it.... why wasn`t this option offered on the original recall letter? I could have saved myself time. I don`t have time to be "#$"#! with these lights.

How is the DIY going to effect the warranty of the H8`s if a customer screws it up (although highly unlikely but possible).
2004 AP2 S2000 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 03:50 AM   #115
armorrig
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Tamiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Mark,

Will you be offering the old 6,000K H8s again? Those weren't affected by the recall, and I preferred their level of brightness and color to the new 6,500K H8s that are part of this recall.
Are you sure the 6000k H8's werent affected? Because I have 6000K's but my label is silver and number is 1014.
      05-04-2010, 04:41 AM   #116
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Any pictures of this fix actually installed? I think a lot of people are curious about exactly how this is going to sit outside the headlight housing.

I don't know much about the older version of the LUX but I noticed some people here mentioned that there's version only has 2 LEDs and the newer one has 4 LEDs. Could the additional LEDs be contributing to the heat issues in the headlight housing?
      05-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #117
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Any pictures of this fix actually installed? I think a lot of people are curious about exactly how this is going to sit outside the headlight housing.

I don't know much about the older version of the LUX but I noticed some people here mentioned that there's version only has 2 LEDs and the newer one has 4 LEDs. Could the additional LEDs be contributing to the heat issues in the headlight housing?
I'm no electronics expert but the 2 extra LEDs could be producing more heat which is causing these malfunctions.

Marc, others are saying that the 6000k versions with 2 LEDs are actually brighter and more evenly lit than the 6500k versions with 4 LEDs, is this true?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #118
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
I'm no electronics expert but the 2 extra LEDs could be producing more heat which is causing these malfunctions.

Marc, others are saying that the 6000k versions with 2 LEDs are actually brighter and more evenly lit than the 6500k versions with 4 LEDs, is this true?
LED's create marginal to NO heat. We have bulbs with tons of leds in them and they are ice cold after 3 days on...
only thing i can think of is increased power needs, but again, leds consume marginal power, so i cant think that two extra leds is stressing the power supply.
anyways, my kits are shipping at the end of the week.
      05-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #119
kmac1980
Major
Rep
Drives: '19 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
LED's create marginal to NO heat. We have bulbs with tons of leds in them and they are ice cold after 3 days on...
only thing i can think of is increased power needs, but again, leds consume marginal power, so i cant think that two extra leds is stressing the power supply.
anyways, my kits are shipping at the end of the week.
LEDs don't produce heat per say, however, the electronics driving the LEDs do (not just the power supply).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #120
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1980 View Post
LEDs don't produce heat per say, however, the electronics driving the LEDs do (not just the power supply).
exactly what i was trying to say,
but from my experience, there shouldnt be much in the way of electronics from looking at the lux kit...
      05-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #121
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
exactly what i was trying to say,
but from my experience, there shouldnt be much in the way of electronics from looking at the lux kit...
There must be some considerable heat being generated because almost every LED kit on the market has a huge heatsink to try to deal with the heat. If the LEDs used in the newer version are lower powered than the older version, the total power could still be the same so we can't just say the 4 LED version produces more heat just because there are more LEDs. Only the designer can say for sure hence the question. It could have been just a different way to get the same lumen output as the original version while getting better 360 degree distribution of light.
      05-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #122
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorrig View Post
Are you sure the 6000k H8's werent affected? Because I have 6000K's but my label is silver and number is 1014.
No, I'm not sure. I've asked my question three different times and haven't gotten a response yet.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #123
kmac1980
Major
Rep

Quote:
No, I'm not sure. I've asked my question three different times and haven't gotten a response yet.
i think the recall is pretty clear, if you have a silver label and a 10xx number on your power supply you are affected, regarless of the colour temperature or amount of LEDs
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #124
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i think the recall is pretty clear, if you have a silver label and a 10xx number on your power supply you are affected, regarless of the colour temperature or amount of LEDs
Has it been confirmed that people with the 2 LED/6,000K units have been affected by the recall?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #125
kmac1980
Major
Rep

Quote:
Has it been confirmed that people with the 2 LED/6,000K units have been affected by the recall?
i think that is assumed...the items/features you are talking about have nothing to do really with the problem the recall addresses, excessive heat generated by the power supply. The issue here is the new power supplies run too hot to be installed inside the light housing.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #126
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

I just did the repair modification necessary to fix the problem.

Guys, it is so easy, a dead goat would stand a fair to middling chance of getting it right.

I had most of the stuff I needed, right in my garage:

-roll of 20G automotive wire
-two inline fuses (had to buy these - total of six bucks at the local automotive place).
-two 2A blade fuses
-solder/soldering iron
-heat shrink wrapping (1/8")

As Marc suggested, I extended all the wires "6+" inches (I went 7, just to be sure - in retrospect, I probably would have gone 8", so I could move the power supply in a better position outside the headlight housing. Once finished, I used double-sided tape to anchor the power supply as out of sight as possible, in the engine bay.

Took me all of 90 minutes (and that was while watching the Habs lose... ) - I figure if I was concentrating, it would have been about 45 minutes.

Don't even bother getting NA Motorsport/Marc to send the "repair kit". You'll wait for two weeks, and I'm sure this is a big enough pain in the ass for them, already.

Take an hour, do it yourself, and retain your awesome LUX H8s. You won't regret it.

And for those complaining that it takes eons to get the LUXs in.... guys. C'mon. We're not doing laparoscopic surgery on a flea, here. Get it positioned correctly, grab it gently with a needle nose pliers, and rotate gently. Takes a couple minutes each side (I must admit, the first time I installed them, I had my wife help, but subsequently, I have discovered it's not that difficult, at all).

Hope this helps to get at least some of us to do the modification without resorting to returning the kit to NA motorsports/Marc. Completely unnecessary - if I can do it, anyone can.

Last edited by TTBear; 05-04-2010 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 12:19 AM   #127
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i think that is assumed...the items/features you are talking about have nothing to do really with the problem the recall addresses, excessive heat generated by the power supply. The issue here is the new power supplies run too hot to be installed inside the light housing.
I'd like to hear NAM or someone else confirm it. My assumption is that the 2 LED/6,000K units put less stress on their power supplies, hence the recall being (supposedly) specific to the 4 LED/6,500K units.

Of course this is presumptuous on my part, which is why I'd like some confirmation. If it is confirmed, I'd like to know if NAM plans on reverting to the older LUX units.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 03:21 AM   #128
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'd like to hear NAM or someone else confirm it. My assumption is that the 2 LED/6,000K units put less stress on their power supplies, hence the recall being (supposedly) specific to the 4 LED/6,500K units.

Of course this is presumptuous on my part, which is why I'd like some confirmation. If it is confirmed, I'd like to know if NAM plans on reverting to the older LUX units.
They already gave the parameters. If your power supply has a sticker on it that matches the description, you are affected. Doesn't matter if you got 2 LEDs or 4. You cannot assume the 2 LEDs draw less power than the 4 LEDs because you don't know how much power each one draws. The color temperature has nothing to do with how much power is drawn.
      05-05-2010, 03:24 AM   #129
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
I just did the repair modification necessary to fix the problem.

Guys, it is so easy, a dead goat would stand a fair to middling chance of getting it right.

I had most of the stuff I needed, right in my garage:

-roll of 20G automotive wire
-two inline fuses (had to buy these - total of six bucks at the local automotive place).
-two 2A blade fuses
-solder/soldering iron
-heat shrink wrapping (1/8")

As Marc suggested, I extended all the wires "6+" inches (I went 7, just to be sure - in retrospect, I probably would have gone 8", so I could move the power supply in a better position outside the headlight housing. Once finished, I used double-sided tape to anchor the power supply as out of sight as possible, in the engine bay.

Took me all of 90 minutes (and that was while watching the Habs lose... ) - I figure if I was concentrating, it would have been about 45 minutes.

Don't even bother getting NA Motorsport/Marc to send the "repair kit". You'll wait for two weeks, and I'm sure this is a big enough pain in the ass for them, already.

Take an hour, do it yourself, and retain your awesome LUX H8s. You won't regret it.

And for those complaining that it takes eons to get the LUXs in.... guys. C'mon. We're not doing laparoscopic surgery on a flea, here. Get it positioned correctly, grab it gently with a needle nose pliers, and rotate gently. Takes a couple minutes each side (I must admit, the first time I installed them, I had my wife help, but subsequently, I have discovered it's not that difficult, at all).

Hope this helps to get at least some of us to do the modification without resorting to returning the kit to NA motorsports/Marc. Completely unnecessary - if I can do it, anyone can.
While the fix is an easy one, I didn't pay $200 for a set of lamps and power supplies that I need to double stick tape to the outside of my headlight housing. If I wanted that, I could have made it myself.
      05-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #130
kmac1980
Major
Rep

my only question about having the power supply outside of the housing, is how weather proof is the power supply? I mean quite a bit of moisture gets into the engine bay when driving in the rain/snow. Should the power supply be wrapped in electrical tape or something?..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #131
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
While the fix is an easy one, I didn't pay $200 for a set of lamps and power supplies that I need to double stick tape to the outside of my headlight housing. If I wanted that, I could have made it myself.
What, as opposed to having the power supplies hanging free, unanchored, WITHIN the headlight housing?

The solution is not ideal, certainly, but it is by far the lesser of two evils. I would far rather do the repair, and retain the LUX function, than return it and go back to the OEM bulbs (or have to order something else - aside from the mega-expensive OSS kit, I don't see anything superior to the LUX kit, even taking into account the fix).

Of course there will be those that don't feel the fix is right. For those, returning the kit will likely be the best option.
      05-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #132
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Sorry, but that makes no sense. The fact that it will be double sided taped in your engine bay should not make this product any worse. Its still by far the best solution (aside from OSS of course). Its almost like your looking for a reason to return it and get your money back. Go for it, it will leave the ones with the LUX installed all the more special and rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
What, as opposed to having the power supplies hanging free, unanchored, WITHIN the headlight housing?

The solution is not ideal, certainly, but it is by far the lesser of two evils. I would far rather do the repair, and retain the LUX function, than return it and go back to the OEM bulbs (or have to order something else - aside from the mega-expensive OSS kit, I don't see anything superior to the LUX kit, even taking into account the fix).

Of course there will be those that don't feel the fix is right. For those, returning the kit will likely be the best option.

+1
Exactly what I was thinking.

I guarantee you that if the LUX came out from the beginning, and it required that the power supply be placed outside the headlight housing, no one would have complained, it would have been the "norm". People are always looking for a reason to bitch!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0