BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

11-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #485
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Must have been 6' tall or over. If you are over 5'11" the Cayman can be a bit uncomfortable as the inside is quite small. The Carrera S is much better as the front seats can recline back where the seats on the Cayman are pretty much like a L shaped chair. Back is literally straight and absolutely no room to recline unless you are 5 feet tall. Short people will love this car and have zero complaints but for tall people this is not an everyday car that one can take on trips that exceed 45 minutes in Los Angeles traffic.

Aside from that the Cayman S and GT4 Porsches are one of the best cars around. Engine,braking and handling are simply superb.
Not true at all I am 6'-1" and easily have another 5 inches above my head. My wife, myself and our two dogs took a 800 mile trip in the GT4 for a week getaway. We had plenty of room for all of us and our luggage, was actually shocked that we had room left over for storage. Wasn't sore at all by the end of the drive either. Which I cannot say the same for my 911. I have made the same trip in that and my back was killing. This is do to the fact that my 911 just has the standard power seats instead of the sport plus seats. The standard seats are utter garbage unless you are a narrow person. The GT4 is very easily a daily driver car.

Last edited by ridin135; 11-14-2015 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 05:50 AM   #486
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991GT3 View Post
Good Bye GT4. It's been fun.
Okay.....this requires some explanation......do tell......
      11-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #487
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Okay.....this requires some explanation......do tell......
Have you ever purchased something, waited awhile to get, and it ends up being exactly what you thought but were somehow left feeling flat? That's basically what happened here. I don't want to come off as a hater because I know most people that buy it will love it. I just didn't.
It's a nice car. It sounds nice(though I really don't get into car noise), it looks great, and it handles well. It isn't a good DD, it isn't fast(I have no idea how anyone can get this car to do 4 seconds to 60 and 9 seconds to 100). Yes I know it isn't supposed to be a drag strip car but for a $102k I would expect better than 4.8 seconds to 60 and 10.5 seconds to 100(welcome to 2001).
Plus this car was never really on my radar until my Porsche dealer said he could get one for me and I turned it at a little profit(never had that happen before).
I also have two other cars I want to try. I have dibs on an M4 GTS and I think I can get a 991 GT3.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 01:23 AM   #488
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Must have been 6' tall or over. If you are over 5'11" the Cayman can be a bit uncomfortable as the inside is quite small. The Carrera S is much better as the front seats can recline back where the seats on the Cayman are pretty much like a L shaped chair. Back is literally straight and absolutely no room to recline unless you are 5 feet tall. Short people will love this car and have zero complaints but for tall people this is not an everyday car that one can take on trips that exceed 45 minutes in Los Angeles traffic.

Aside from that the Cayman S and GT4 Porsches are one of the best cars around. Engine,braking and handling are simply superb.
Not true at all I am 6'-1" and easily have another 5 inches above my head. My wife, myself and our two dogs took a 800 mile trip in the GT4 for a week getaway. We had plenty of room for all of us and our luggage, was actually shocked that we had room left over for storage. Wasn't sore at all by the end of the drive either. Which I cannot say the same for my 911. I have made the same trip in that and my back was killing. This is do to the fact that my 911 just has the standard power seats instead of the sport plus seats. The standard seats are utter garbage unless you are a narrow person. The GT4 is very easily a daily driver car.
No complaints for headroom. As for legroom, unless you do not mind sitting straight upright like as if you were in a chair then not being able to recline the seat back is a problem in the Cayman but not so in the Carrera. As for seat options the seats in both cars depend on what seat option you chose when you bought the car. I get back aches from long distance drives in my Cayman. I love my Cayman and love driving it but not for long distance drives or for drives in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #489
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

Quote:
Have you ever purchased something, waited awhile to get, and it ends up being exactly what you thought but were somehow left feeling flat? That's basically what happened here. I don't want to come off as a hater because I know most people that buy it will love it. I just didn't.
It's a nice car. It sounds nice(though I really don't get into car noise), it looks great, and it handles well. It isn't a good DD, it isn't fast(I have no idea how anyone can get this car to do 4 seconds to 60 and 9 seconds to 100). Yes I know it isn't supposed to be a drag strip car but for a $102k I would expect better than 4.8 seconds to 60 and 10.5 seconds to 100(welcome to 2001).
Plus this car was never really on my radar until my Porsche dealer said he could get one for me and I turned it at a little profit(never had that happen before).
I also have two other cars I want to try. I have dibs on an M4 GTS and I think I can get a 991 GT3.
That's too bad you don't like it. Got mine and I love it. I came from a 2009 GTR, and even though the GTR was much faster, the GT4 feels more special on the street during normal driving. You have to push the GTR to have fun in it.

The GT4 feels and sounds great.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #490
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Maybe you need to drive your cars on a road course and you won't feel like you need 500+hp to enjoy them. If straight line acceleration is what entertains you most, no sports car short of 500hp is going to be fun for long...especially if you drive with the nannies on. Learn how to really drive and even a measly 240hp S2000 is nothing short of a complete blast to drive. I can't wait for my GT4.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 10:22 PM   #491
ChrisF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP, '10 997.2 GT3

It's funny, I've gone back and forth on mine. Loved it at first and thought it was amazing. Then I drove it some more then back to back with my GT3. That soured it a bit. Then I put a bunch more miles on it and I'm back to loving it.

It is a fantastic DD/weekend track car. It does so much so well. The precision of feel in everything it does really makes every drive enjoyable. I think it's a car that doesn't bowl you over initially like a GT3 and some others. It takes time to reveal it's charms. At least that's how it feels to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #492
Da Hapa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Personally, I can not wait for mine (finished production last week) but I say, to each his/her own. Variety is a good thing, choice is an even better thing. If 991GT3 has found something that he likes better, more power to him.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #493
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaforever View Post
That's too bad you don't like it. Got mine and I love it. I came from a 2009 GTR, and even though the GTR was much faster, the GT4 feels more special on the street during normal driving. You have to push the GTR to have fun in it.

The GT4 feels and sounds great.
It is a nice car and I'm glad you like it. Again, I understand why people enjoy it but it just wasn't that compelling to me. It's beautiful, handles well, and is loud(disproportionate to its power IMO). It just wasn't as quick as I had hoped. I really dislike having to hit the throttle hard to get around a Saturn. Maybe having three consecutive GTRs has raised my expectation as to what a performance car should be able to do in normal daily driving.
BTW, I pretty sure I have a 991.1 GT3 coming in the spring of 2016. So giving up the GT4 wasn't that difficult.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #494
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Maybe you need to drive your cars on a road course and you won't feel like you need 500+hp to enjoy them. If straight line acceleration is what entertains you most, no sports car short of 500hp is going to be fun for long...especially if you drive with the nannies on. Learn how to really drive and even a measly 240hp S2000 is nothing short of a complete blast to drive. I can't wait for my GT4.
If I had purchased it as a track car you'd probably be right but I bought it as a fun second car to drive town and out in the country.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #495
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Dang 10.5 seconds to 100? I thought they were supposed to be close to 997.1 GT3 performance which does 0-100 in around 8-8.5 seconds. Even my GT3 feels slow compared to the 2010 GT-R I owned. I guess it's all in perspective.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #496
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Red GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Dang 10.5 seconds to 100? I thought they were supposed to be close to 997.1 GT3 performance which does 0-100 in around 8-8.5 seconds. Even my GT3 feels slow compared to the 2010 GT-R I owned. I guess it's all in perspective.
It did 0-60 in 4 seconds and 0-100 in 9 seconds in the Motortrend test.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #497
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaforever View Post
It did 0-60 in 4 seconds and 0-100 in 9 seconds in the Motortrend test.
Good luck getting that.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #498
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
If I had purchased it as a track car you'd probably be right but I bought it as a fun second car to drive town and out in the country.
You'd probably enjoy the AMG GTS.

Seems odd to buy highly specialized track oriented cars and then be disappointed they didn't drive like GTs. Unless of course some of the fun is just owning the car which I can understand.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #499
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
You'd probably enjoy the AMG GTS.

Seems odd to buy highly specialized track oriented cars and then be disappointed they didn't drive like GTs. Unless of course some of the fun is just owning the car which I can understand.
The GT4 isn't a highly specialized track car, the GT4 Clubsport is.
And I'm not disappointed that it doesn't drive like a GT car. I was underwhelmed by its power. The gearing is too long and I would have much preferred a dual clutch setup. A 385 bhp-2900 lbs car should be quicker.
Also, I have repeatedly said I didn't hate the car, it just didn't raise my blood pressure enough to keep it.
I'm 95% certain I'll have a 991 GT3 this spring and I doubt I'll be disappointed.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #500
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Sorry you thought the GT4 would be a good daily driver ... and that it would be fast in a straight line 0-60. Bizarre. If your best time was 4.8, I must say, that's really slow. But even odder is that your handle is 991 GT3 and you don't own one? I'm just glad the GT division is back to making a car with a proper 6MT. The PDK-S in the GT3 and RS is very quick at shifting but even faster at becoming boring. On the bright side, at least my girlfriend can drive it without stalling.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #501
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
Sorry you thought the GT4 would be a good daily driver ... and that it would be fast in a straight line 0-60. Bizarre. If your best time was 4.8, I must say, that's really slow. But even odder is that your handle is 991 GT3 and you don't own one? I'm just glad the GT division is back to making a car with a proper 6MT. The PDK-S in the GT3 and RS is very quick at shifting but even faster at becoming boring. On the bright side, at least my girlfriend can drive it without stalling.
Why is it bizarre that I thought a nearly 400 hp car would be quick? It is bizarre if you didn't think it would be.
It isn't odd that my handle is 991 GT3 because that's the car that I want and it appears that I am going to finally get one.

To quote Car and Driver

"2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 Not quite as quick as it looks."

Are they "bizarre" too?

So you own a 991 GT3? Or are you just making snide comments from the cheap seats?

Last edited by 991GT3; 11-20-2015 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 10:35 PM   #502
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
The GT4 isn't a highly specialized track car, the GT4 Clubsport is.
And I'm not disappointed that it doesn't drive like a GT car. I was underwhelmed by its power. The gearing is too long and I would have much preferred a dual clutch setup. A 385 bhp-2900 lbs car should be quicker.
Also, I have repeatedly said I didn't hate the car, it just didn't raise my blood pressure enough to keep it.
I'm 95% certain I'll have a 991 GT3 this spring and I doubt I'll be disappointed.
Don't mean to be argumentative but the GT3 and GT4 cars have a focus on track oriented features such as lighter weight, high revving NA engines and very expensive and adjustable suspension components. PDK would have been a lot faster than manual but that was done on purpose and praised by many. i think you said you kind of stumbled onto the car and it makes sense that it didn't get you going. I think it was meant for a different driving experience.

Good luck with the 991 GT3. A dream car for sure, but also not a turbo. PDK itself will probably make a big difference in the sensation of straight line speed. But why not just go for the 991 turbo?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 11:12 PM   #503
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
Don't mean to be argumentative but the GT3 and GT4 cars have a focus on track oriented features such as lighter weight, high revving NA engines and very expensive and adjustable suspension components. PDK would have been a lot faster than manual but that was done on purpose and praised by many. i think you said you kind of stumbled onto the car and it makes sense that it didn't get you going. I think it was meant for a different driving experience.

Good luck with the 991 GT3. A dream car for sure, but also not a turbo. PDK itself will probably make a big difference in the sensation of straight line speed. But why not just go for the 991 turbo?
And I'm not trying to get into a argument either but the GT4 isn't a pure track car imo. Yes there is a track focus but it's still mainly a road car. But that really is not my complaint. I would not mind a harsher track oriented car. Bring on a clubsport or RS. I would be all in.
My only big issue with the vehicle is that it wasn't as fast as I thought it would be. I'm not a manual lover like most people here but that was hardly a surprise. In fact the manual it has is pretty awesome. I have stated repeatedly that I didn't hate the car. I just didn't love it enough to keep it.

I have been pushing for a GT3 for years but with the engine issues last year my Porsche dealer thought the GT4 might satiate my Porsche desire. I was really hopeful but it just didn't rise to the level I expected.
Another reason I let it go was the fact my Porsche dealer finally got his hands on a new 991 GT3 for me. Selling the GT4 and passing the sale through my Porsche dealer saves me over $5000 in taxes on the GT3.
Again, I don't doubt most people would absolutely love the GT4. I'm not here to rain on anyone's impression of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #504
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

I think the bigger issue for the OP is simply that he is used to GTR-like thrust. Virtually nothing stock will give GTR like launching power, especially from a stop.

There are only a few choices IMO to compete with a GTR from a pure performance standpoint, until you get into full blown exotica. Viper, Z06 Vette, are two reasonable choices that come to mind, although the 911 turboS will beat the GTR in every measure and still provide all the refinement, etc that one could want.

I am kind of in the same boat with the two cars I drive. My S6 is tuned to 580hp/630lb-ft and is a time-bending straight line rocket. My Cayman, however, satisfies in other ways. It is so much more precise, engaging, and visceral. But yes, I have to get over the lack of straight line performance, although once the revs are up (much like the S65 motor), the car does feel quick and throttle response is instant.

Again, however, this is all relative. I took a buddy for a drive in the Cayman, and his response to the speed was "Holy Shit!!". Depends what you are used to. He drives an Audi Q5. My GTS is spec'd at 4.3 to 60 with launch control and has tested as quick as 4.1. Objectively, very quick in the grand scheme of all cars.

Likewise, the GT4 is in no way a slow car, although a PDK equipped GTS will beat it to 60mph in real world testing. But if you are used to GTR like acceleration, very little will compare from that standpoint.

Last edited by LarThaL; 11-21-2015 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #505
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
I think the bigger issue for the OP is simply that he is used to GTR-like thrust. Virtually nothing stock will give GTR like launching power, especially from a stop.

There are only a few choices IMO to compete with a GTR from a pure performance standpoint, until you get into full blown exotica. Viper, Z06 Vette, are two reasonable choices that come to mind, although the 911 turboS will beat the GTR in every measure and still provide all the refinement, etc that one could want.

I am kind of in the same boat with the two cars I drive. My S6 is tuned to 580hp/630lb-ft and is a time-bending straight line rocket. My Cayman, however, satisfies in other ways. It is so much more precise, engaging, and visceral. But yes, I have to get over the lack of straight line performance, although once the reves are up (much like the S65 motor), the car does feel quick and throttle response is instant.

Again, however, this is all relative. I took a buddy for a drive in the Cayman, and his response to the speed was "Holy Shit!!". Depends what you are used to. He drives an Audi Q5. My GTS is spec'd at 4.3 to 60 with launch control and has tested as quick as 4.1. Objectively, very quick in the grand scheme of all cars.

Likewise, the GT4 is in no way a slow car, although a PDK equipped GTS will beat it to 60mph in real world testing. But if you are used to GTR like acceleration, very little will compare from that standpoint.
OP here. I'm not used to GTR thrust, never even ridden in one. But I do agree with the point you're making. I don't care that the GT4 isn't quick by those standards. Any idiot can point and shoot a car, and that thrust gets boring after the initial novelty wears off. I know because I remember the "Holy Shit" reaction when I test drove the M3 having had an 08 Acura TL Type-S, and later the M3 still seemed fast but not THAT fast. You develop a tolerance to acceleration and end up taking it for granted, and then it's not as thrilling. The fun of a car that handles well, on the other hand....

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #506
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
OP here. I'm not used to GTR thrust, never even ridden in one. But I do agree with the point you're making. I don't care that the GT4 isn't quick by those standards. Any idiot can point and shoot a car, and that thrust gets boring after the initial novelty wears off. I know because I remember the "Holy Shit" reaction when I test drove the M3 having had an 08 Acura TL Type-S, and later the M3 still seemed fast but not THAT fast. You develop a tolerance to acceleration and end up taking it for granted, and then it's not as thrilling. The fun of a car that handles well, on the other hand....
My mistake...was actually referring to 991GT3's comments, not yours.