BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

03-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Leg
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

Rear discs and pads need replacing

I realise the rears dont do much of the work but seen as the fronts will come up at some stage I wondered if it was worth upgrading the rears now, as they need doing, and then matching the fronts up when they come up?

If so, which discs and pads would you go for?

Although I've tracked it in the past it is now a road car only as I am adding a track specific car to my garage soon.

Been quoted £620 for rear discs and pads (standard M3 ones) fitted. Would pay a bit, but not much, more for a better option.

Thanks for any advice/opinions.

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

Hi there:

Since you will not be tracking, I would stay stock. Stock brakes work well for street. Now, if you opt for an aftermarket ceramic pad, brake dust coming off it will be gray and easier to wash off.

But, yes, definitely match your rears today to what you intend to do with fronts later.

What track car are you getting? I am oscillating between tracking the M3 (initial intent) and getting something dedicated (E36?).

Tomasz
      03-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Leg
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

M3 is great on track but with no insurance I'm constantly worrying about smacking it up which takes the edge off my enjoyment. Insuring it at £800 a day is out of the question, its just daft money. Add in the way it eats tyres and brakes and it means I end up holding back and frankly, if I cant got for it 100%, it ruins the day.

I used to run a Westfield for track days and sold it. I bought the M3 intending it for track and road and my Works Mini for my DD but now I think I need another lightweight track car.

A cheaper alternative is a Clio Cup which is reputedly a good track car and cheap as chips. I'll probably end up with an MK Indy, RAW Striker or something of that nature though. There is a really nice RAW Striker in Bike Engined Cars on Pistonheads and also an MK GT1 that looks spot on. Cant do anything until 6th April anyway, new financial year!

As for the M3 brakes, they've never been the same since the last track day so maybe a spanking set of stock will do.

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0