BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Track day @ Infineon, 10/8. VholdR camera +1!

Took the M up for my first time at Infineon on Friday with my buddy and his Corvette. Really fun track day, no big problems although a Lotus flipped over in a race they were running in between track sessions. Surprisingly little damage!

This was also my first test with the VholdR ContourHD camera, it's the low, external camera (the internal in the Corvette is my Canon Vixia HF11). I'm surprised at how good the video quality is, although a big part of what makes it so appealing is the placement on the car giving the impression of ridiculous speed.

Make sure you watch to the end.

10-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Nice vid - looks like you guys had a blast! (and i did watch to the end )

Cool camera setup!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Great job with the editing!!
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Good videos, and the ContourHD sure is misleading about the speed. Interesting to note, convertibles without roll bars allowed on the track - not allowed most clubs in my area.

Two questions: What is hanging down loose, top right windshield, and what is in what appears to be a holder mid dash?

vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Good videos, and the ContourHD sure is misleading about the speed. Interesting to note, convertibles without roll bars allowed on the track - not allowed most clubs in my area.

Two questions: What is hanging down loose, top right windshield, and what is in what appears to be a holder mid dash?

vz
It's not a convertible, neither of them are. Which one do you think is?

The loose hanging down thing is his V1 radar detector hardwire. He didn't secure it properly on that run. And the thing in the holder is an iPhone, running Dynolicious and on the skid pad setting (monitoring g-forces).
      10-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Oops, just noticed the car passed did have a roll bar 2:25 in the video - sorry.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, as far as I know any convertible needs a real, honest-to-goodness rollbar (pop-ups, etc. not sufficient)
      10-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Is it the wide angle camera, or is your friend seated way back? His arms seem almost at full stretch at 9-3 grip. If it's not the camera, then I don't see how that seating position helps when reacting to oversteer. My 2 cents...
      10-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

What kind of track day allows an open wheel car out with closed wheel?Not a very smart thing IMO.I did not see any marshals either or did I miss them?

Nice video by the way
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Is it the wide angle camera, or is your friend seated way back? His arms seem almost at full stretch at 9-3 grip. If it's not the camera, then I don't see how that seating position helps when reacting to oversteer. My 2 cents...
Wide angle (almost fisheye) lens on there. He does sit pretty close, although you're right, in that video it looks pretty way back. His arms aren't that pudgy either fwiw.
      10-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #11
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
What kind of track day allows an open wheel car out with closed wheel?Not a very smart thing IMO.I did not see any marshals either or did I miss them?

Nice video by the way
I was a little surprised to see him out there too, but it was a small 100hp thing. Blew a radiator hose right in front of me too, big puff of steam and water wetter all over my windshield.

The marshals are kind of hard to see on the track, set way back, but they're there. Good crew too for the most part, although the guy at the entrance from the hot pits would get confused sometimes it seemed like.

And thanks. Really beautiful track and a ton of fun to drive, I'm glad I got some good footage of it.
      10-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #12
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post

Nice video by the way
I've seen it happen--even with "reputable" clubs--and wondered about the same thing. I was more curious about why anybody would take the risk of going out in an open wheeled car when there are 4000lb cars running around you with their bumpers at your ear level...
      10-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #13
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrouble View Post
Wide angle (almost fisheye) lens on there. He does sit pretty close, although you're right, in that video it looks pretty way back. His arms aren't that pudgy either fwiw.
Yeah, he did look kind of weird!
      10-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
I was a little surprised to see him out there too, but it was a small 100hp thing. Blew a radiator hose right in front of me too, big puff of steam and water wetter all over my windshield.

The marshals are kind of hard to see on the track, set way back, but they're there. Good crew too for the most part, although the guy at the entrance from the hot pits would get confused sometimes it seemed like.

And thanks. Really beautiful track and a ton of fun to drive, I'm glad I got some good footage of it.
Mixing like that is a big no no up here and usually our liability insurance coverage states for closed wheel only.Hell I sure as heck would not want to be in front of myself in a Formula car knowing what my brakes are normally like at the end of a session
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #15
ching
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Thanks for posting. I don't see too many videos from outside the cars - feels like I'm watching a video game.
      10-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #16
M3Greg
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Jzb/extBB-Wk25

Nice Video!
I'm going to the BMW CCA school at Infinion 10/31 -11/1.
I'll use it as a training/track knowalge tool!
What kind of max speeds were you able to do with that track configuration?

2003 Harley Softail -Sold for M3!
2001 530I-sold
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #17
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Greg View Post
Nice Video!
I'm going to the BMW CCA school at Infinion 10/31 -11/1.
I'll use it as a training/track knowalge tool!
What kind of max speeds were you able to do with that track configuration?
So I'll say straight up that I'm a total wuss, especially at a track I'm on for the first time, and *especially* when said track is as wall-tastic as Infineon. Fastest speeds were coming out off the carousel (straight leading into turn 7), 10-11 and the front straight (12-2), each point along there I made it to about 110.

Each one of those I could probably easily hit 120+ if I had a bigger pair. Car was rock-solid stable at 110; the course seems really well-suited to the M with big wide curves and lots of elevation changes at points where you can really take advantage of the better grip. 3A and 4 were the only spots on the track that the car felt light to me (both hilltops).

You're going to love the carousel, holy nuts is that fast and the exit from it is this massive expanse of pavement. I took the apex of it around 60 and probably could have done 80 easily, again if I put more faith in the car.

Anyway, have fun!
      10-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #18
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Quote:
So I'll say straight up that I'm a total wuss, especially at a track I'm on for the first time, and *especially* when said track is as wall-tastic as Infineon. Fastest speeds were coming out off the carousel (straight leading into turn 7), 10-11 and the front straight (12-2), each point along there I made it to about 110.

Each one of those I could probably easily hit 120+ if I had a bigger pair. Car was rock-solid stable at 110; the course seems really well-suited to the M with big wide curves and lots of elevation changes at points where you can really take advantage of the better grip. 3A and 4 were the only spots on the track that the car felt light to me (both hilltops).

You're going to love the carousel, holy nuts is that fast and the exit from it is this massive expanse of pavement. I took the apex of it around 60 and probably could have done 80 easily, again if I put more faith in the car.

Anyway, have fun!
What event was it ?

Looks like you guys had a great time ... T3,4 are the hardest part of the track for me ... T8,9 are also very tricky ...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #19
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
What event was it ?

Looks like you guys had a great time ... T3,4 are the hardest part of the track for me ... T8,9 are also very tricky ...
Speed Ventures. I've run twice with them now and been really impressed both times; well-run and well-attended events.

I didn't find 8,9 all that difficult honestly, but that may have been because I was fucking up 7 enough to not have enough speed for it to matter. It (8,9) is a little off-camber but you have tons and tons of pavement to work with; they have 3 cones blocking off 8a, I'd aim almost straight for the right-most one as soon as I came out of 7 and before I got over the little hump there (which sacrifices the corner a little; the alternative would be to go wide right after 7) and found I had lots of space to work with. YMMV, of course.