BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-03-2023, 07:57 AM   #1
Tincan7
Rep
Drives: Acura RSX Type-S

Engine Replacement on Used M3?

Hey guys,

I’m relatively new to the forum and looking at E90 M3s.

What would you think about an M3 that had an engine replacement for bore-scoring (not blown according to the seller) several years/40k miles ago? The car looks good otherwise and has had the RBs done on the ‘new’ engine (was a used engine when put in the car, just with ~10k less miles than the chassis).

Later down the line if I wanted to sell this car how concerned would you be as a potential buyer? I feel like since I’m asking the question it’s obviously some kind of issue…but would it be a deal breaker?

And for those of you that have had the unfortunate experience of an engine change are there VIN/registration/insurance complications you have to deal with?

And finally, one more question to add to the pile (I know this has been discussed extensively, but still curious) do you consider RBs a one & done or a wear item that should be changed every 60-80k miles (these RBs have 40k miles on them)? I don’t remember the brand but believe it was BE, definitely not stock RBs.

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 04:32 AM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

My car had a new engine put in by the dealer under warranty, the original seized. If it was done at the dealer and/or the source of the engine was documented by a shop then it wouldnt really matter to me, like in my situation.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 1
jaehshim496.50
      10-04-2023, 06:23 AM   #3
tbuck
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2016 F23 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
My car had a new engine put in by the dealer under warranty, the original seized. If it was done at the dealer and/or the source of the engine was documented by a shop then it wouldnt really matter to me, like in my situation.

^This

Proper documentation is always the key. These engines are well known for RB failure and most potential owners will understand if yours has had the engine replaced at some point. It should not be an issue for a general E9x example.

RB's are not a one and done, they are a wear item on these cars regardless of what bearing you put in them, but more so if they are OEM. Rule of thumb seems to be between 50-100k life is the safe area, and while some folks get much more I would err on the side of peace of mind.

GL!
      10-04-2023, 08:28 PM   #4
Tincan7
Rep

Thanks guys.

Good to know about the RBs.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 12:27 AM   #5
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
RB’s are a wear item and I’ve done them twice. The two sets that came out of my motor had wear simple as that. If the dealer did the motor swap I would buy. If any other shop did the work I would buy but expect a price reduction relative to my feelings, so you would lose money from me as a buyer. Those are my feelings because I know this motor pretty good. If I never owned this car I would not buy a motor swapped one unless they were extremely hard to acquire and this one was convenient to look at and buy.
      10-05-2023, 11:28 AM   #6
Tincan7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
RB’s are a wear item and I’ve done them twice. The two sets that came out of my motor had wear simple as that. If the dealer did the motor swap I would buy. If any other shop did the work I would buy but expect a price reduction relative to my feelings, so you would lose money from me as a buyer. Those are my feelings because I know this motor pretty good. If I never owned this car I would not buy a motor swapped one unless they were extremely hard to acquire and this one was convenient to look at and buy.
Hmmm, very good info thanks. Unfortunately I am on the east coast and a lot of the good cars are in CA. So this one is certainly not convenient to look at (this one is in CA). I’m not sure but believe it was an Indy that did the motor swap. I’m thinking maybe wait until the next one comes along.

How many miles did you go between RB changes?

Also, I haven’t come across much discussion about bore-scoring on the S65, is that a thing on these motors?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 12:16 PM   #7
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincan7 View Post
Hmmm, very good info thanks. Unfortunately I am on the east coast and a lot of the good cars are in CA. So this one is certainly not convenient to look at (this one is in CA). I’m not sure but believe it was an Indy that did the motor swap. I’m thinking maybe wait until the next one comes along.

How many miles did you go between RB changes?

Also, I haven’t come across much discussion about bore-scoring on the S65, is that a thing on these motors?

Thanks.
I’m sure people are doing all kinds of things to their motors. Is it commonplace….no. There really isn’t a standard when some pamper and park, while others fucking thrash their shit. Proper maintenance is all that needs to happen. RB’s are a common issue and it stops there. The real issue is a person that can barely afford the car and doesn’t maintain it properly. Likewise the person that thinks you can yank a car hard all the time like a race car but not rebuild like race cars do. It’s not the fragile motor people claim. Side note:There are a lot of amazing M’s in the East Coast just not for sale because they’re loved.
      10-05-2023, 01:32 PM   #8
egebhardt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3, 2024 Nissan Pro4x

My car has lost ~$5,000 in value in the last 6 months since I bought it.
I basically changed the rod bearings and parked it in my climate-controlled garage.

You could wait and do fine. Or not wait. I'd still find one locally if I were you. Paying $2,000 to ship and worry your *** off is no fun..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 04:33 PM   #9
nrubenstein
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3/E36 M3/E46 M3/E90 M3

Assuming that it's a lower mileage engine, it's net neutral to positive in my book. Engines fail. These engines are not numbered to chassis in any way that anyone other than BMW can tell, so no it won't cause you any registration or documentation issues.

The one thing that I would HATE is if someone put a higher mileage engine in a lower mileage chassis.

Appreciate 1
PACarGuy699.50
      10-30-2023, 08:05 AM   #10
Theodore2
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'd say have someone familiar with these cars check the engine out carefully before you buy, then drive it and enjoy it!
Appreciate 0