BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

05-08-2022, 11:33 PM   #749
SocalM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Mineral White M3

For those with the updated new units, does your on screen keyboard function now? On the older unit, whenever I try to input some text via the keyboard (for example, when I want to enter a street address in google maps), I cannot scroll down to the keyboard to enter anything. Since my microphone does not work, I really would like this function to be working.
E34 Alpine White II M5
E28 Black M5
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 12:14 AM   #750
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalM3 View Post
For those with the updated new units, does your on screen keyboard function now? On the older unit, whenever I try to input some text via the keyboard (for example, when I want to enter a street address in google maps), I cannot scroll down to the keyboard to enter anything. Since my microphone does not work, I really would like this function to be working.
It does not work in the new unit. I made a point of connecting the mr12volt mic in case this was still an issue and it is. Installing the mic isn't that bad. The worst part is reinstalling the A pillar.

As a mitigation- keyboard access is in my case usually needed for a navigation app. Using your google maps example. While stopped, I would open google maps on the phone and enter the address, and start navigation from the phone, which will automatically pickup on the google maps carplay app. Same deal for Waze.

Anyway, its clearly a software bug on the mr12volt side. I'd recommend reporting it to them. The more reports they get about bugs, the better. Helps them understand the scope of the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 03:52 AM   #751
eddiegordo
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Am I understanding correctly that the keyboard doesn't work at all?

Surprised I haven't seen anyone mentioning this before. Keyboard is pretty important, if I have to pick up my phone to type an address it kind of defeats the purpose of having something like this.

In the carsara box you can either type each key using the iDrive scrolling wheel, or you can "send" the keyboard to the phone and type it there. Do any of these work with the new mr12volt unit?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 12:17 PM   #752
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiegordo View Post
Am I understanding correctly that the keyboard doesn't work at all?

Surprised I haven't seen anyone mentioning this before. Keyboard is pretty important, if I have to pick up my phone to type an address it kind of defeats the purpose of having something like this.

In the carsara box you can either type each key using the iDrive scrolling wheel, or you can "send" the keyboard to the phone and type it there. Do any of these work with the new mr12volt unit?
To be fair this thread is the first time I heard that there is an onscreen keyboard in my entire time using Carplay. I always just use voice or my phone to enter where I'm going before I leave. 99% of the time I want to search for something using Siri or Google then go from there.

So it doesn't really seem to be a deal breaker - the only time I even use voice for entry is if I'm driving and need to find coffee or gas.
      05-09-2022, 12:36 PM   #753
RUG8RB8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E93, many more

Finally completed this Upgrade and I could not be anymore happy, both with function and looks! Thanks to all the pioneers ahead of me with all the guidance. Just to have a phone conversation with somebody now at speed on the freeway with my Uber loud open exhaust is a pleasure! The supplied mic works great, I placed in the E93 stock location and now everyone says difference is amazing. The front camera was a bit finicky at first but I figured it out and works wonderfully now. I will finally installed my GT2 splitter. The DSP equalizer is nothing short of amazing! Can't wait to go by my friends shop with a spectrum analyzer and tunes things in perfectly. Thanks again for all the great information in this thread!!!
Attached Images

2009 E93 M3, Alpine White, Harrop S/C, BE Bearing Upgrade, ARP Custom Age 625+ rod bolts, Billet DCT Pan and Side Cover, Billet filter cover, Topspeed Quad Resonated 63mm X-pipe, Vangaurd Ti exhaust, 19" BBS Fi's, BPM DCT Tune, BPM Harrop Tune, almost every known early Failure/Leaky item brand new, Mr. 12V DSP MM Upgrade, CF Splitter & Diffuser, P3 Custom Multi Gauge, Lumar Ceramic Tint, 3M PPF
Appreciate 3
tdott3942.50
DrFerry6728.50
      05-09-2022, 03:08 PM   #754
AK M3
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hey all, do I have to use the supplied mic ? I installed the unit thinking that I could use the stock mic as it would revert to the stock CIC Bluetooth when a call comes in but it seems like it doesn't work that way.

Another question, is it possible to disable the volume reduction when I put it in reverse and the rear view camera engages ?

Loving the unit thus far.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 03:46 PM   #755
danbav
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 330i, 335i. Golf GTI mk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
It does not work in the new unit. I made a point of connecting the mr12volt mic in case this was still an issue and it is. Installing the mic isn't that bad. The worst part is reinstalling the A pillar.

As a mitigation- keyboard access is in my case usually needed for a navigation app. Using your google maps example. While stopped, I would open google maps on the phone and enter the address, and start navigation from the phone, which will automatically pickup on the google maps carplay app. Same deal for Waze.

Anyway, its clearly a software bug on the mr12volt side. I'd recommend reporting it to them. The more reports they get about bugs, the better. Helps them understand the scope of the issue.
That really odd, my keyboard functions as expected. Just checked as I normally use voice input. Worked in both the lights and DSP version of the unit.

I can go to the search and keyboard in google maps and scroll with the idrive controller and it goes to the alphabet. From there scoll and click to select the letter.

I have 2013 factory cic in E92
Appreciate 1
AxisF8021.00
      05-09-2022, 04:36 PM   #756
AK M3
Montenegro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK M3 View Post
Hey all, do I have to use the supplied mic ? I installed the unit thinking that I could use the stock mic as it would revert to the stock CIC Bluetooth when a call comes in but it seems like it doesn't work that way.

Another question, is it possible to disable the volume reduction when I put it in reverse and the rear view camera engages ?

Loving the unit thus far.

Thanks!
Got it figured out. The mic supplied is awful. I was able to have it removed and will continue to use the OEM Bluetooth mic through the CIC for calls which I really don't mind as the quality is excellent.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 06:30 PM   #757
Tigamilla
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Got it figured out. The mic supplied is awful. I was able to have it removed and will continue to use the OEM Bluetooth mic through the CIC for calls which I really don't mind as the quality is excellent.
How do i make it always revert to the stock phone system? The original P2000 box did this, but the DSP one seems to want to handle outgoing calls itself and I'm told there is background noise that isn't there on the stock system.

EDIT: or do I just change the Bluetooth setting on my phone?

As for the comments about the keyboard, never even knew the was one. Is this a Carplay thing?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 06:38 PM   #758
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalM3 View Post
I have never had this issue with the old or new unit.
Android Auto for me though, but I did test CarPlay with another phone and pretty sure it worked also.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 07:20 PM   #759
drwankel
Major
Rep

Here, I just uploaded a video to youtube showing the issue. Nothing you do lets you get to the keyboard:

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 08:10 PM   #760
stargazer.80
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

I have hooked up everything and Mr12volt is not showing up. The units red light is on and it gets warm, but only OEM menu works.

Any idea what could be wrong? I could not find cdmm_charger_3 option to code, so I coded cdmm_charger, this one I did find. Not sure if it matters, I attached some of the photos of setup and wiring. Any help is appreciated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 09:23 PM   #761
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer.80 View Post
I have hooked up everything and Mr12volt is not showing up. The units red light is on and it gets warm, but only OEM menu works.

Any idea what could be wrong? I could not find cdmm_charger_3 option to code, so I coded cdmm_charger, this one I did find. Not sure if it matters, I attached some of the photos of setup and wiring. Any help is appreciated
A couple of points here. The coding you described is a bit odd, I'll get into it in a second. Ensure that you have the MOST connectors properly connected.

If the car in your profile is in fact a F25 x3, that may be where the problem is.

If you notice the dip switch settings on the box, theres a setting for 8.8" (intended for e-series cars) a setting for 6.5" (which I am also suspecting is only for E series cars), and then a setting for F10 (5 series cars with CIC). You being on a 6.5" screen with a F series car may make you an extreme edge case.

Lastly, I recall reading that someone on this thread while installing into a F10 5 series had to code the cd changer option to MMC not mp3_cdc. Give that option a try and see if it behaves any differently.

Again, check your MOST connections, and if none of that solves it, reach out to Mr12volt support
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 09:55 PM   #762
stargazer.80
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Thanks, drwankel

I think another piece of the puzzle is that it appears that my backup cam is aftermarket, so that might complicate things a little bit. The pink connector on CIC, which I now assume is for the screen (and not the beige one) has two extra wires, for power, I guess. I could not override that one with mr12volt video in / video out, as they wont fit in. I guess I will have to take the screen out and see how it is all connected.

Another strange thing is that it appears my IDrive connector was already split in a similar fashion as Mr12Volt does it, I assume now it was for aftermarket backup cam? I had the car for 4 years, but was not aware of these things.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 10:39 PM   #763
AK M3
Montenegro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigamilla View Post
Quote:
How do i make it always revert to the stock phone system? The original P2000 box did this, but the DSP one seems to want to handle outgoing calls itself and I'm told there is background noise that isn't there on the stock system.

EDIT: or do I just change the Bluetooth setting on my phone?

As for the comments about the keyboard, never even knew the was one. Is this a Carplay thing?
When you're on a call on your iPhone, click on the "Speaker" icon and select your cars OEM Bluetooth connection. The phone will automatically default the CIC whenever a call comes in as it seems to remember the last setting.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 01:40 AM   #764
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer.80 View Post
Thanks, drwankel

I think another piece of the puzzle is that it appears that my backup cam is aftermarket, so that might complicate things a little bit. The pink connector on CIC, which I now assume is for the screen (and not the beige one) has two extra wires, for power, I guess. I could not override that one with mr12volt video in / video out, as they wont fit in. I guess I will have to take the screen out and see how it is all connected.

Another strange thing is that it appears my IDrive connector was already split in a similar fashion as Mr12Volt does it, I assume now it was for aftermarket backup cam? I had the car for 4 years, but was not aware of these things.
That could be part or all of your problem. I would remove that most splitter completely (you cant have an open most loop) for whatever that device is and see if the issue still repros.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 01:49 AM   #765
danbav
Private
Rep

Quote:
Here, I just uploaded a video to youtube showing the issue. Nothing you do lets you get to the keyboard:

Looks different to mine, I am using CarPlay I’m assuming that is android auto?

I don’t have a device to test AA on my system. Does the keyboard input work on CarPlay on your system?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 02:16 AM   #766
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbav View Post
Looks different to mine, I am using CarPlay I’m assuming that is android auto?

I don’t have a device to test AA on my system. Does the keyboard input work on CarPlay on your system?
This is carplay. In the video I'm using google maps. Hit the search button, then the keyboard button brings you here.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 02:37 AM   #767
danbav
Private
Rep

Quote:
This is carplay. In the video I'm using google maps. Hit the search button, then the keyboard button brings you here.
Here is vid from mine doing the same

https://youtu.be/LxEIVvK7rcU

Different keyboard layout?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 05:33 AM   #768
eddiegordo
Rep

Quote:
Here is vid from mine doing the same

https://youtu.be/LxEIVvK7rcU

Different keyboard layout?
Video showing as private, so we can't see it.

When I mentioned previously that it did work very well for me with the carsara box I forgot to mention that it is on Android Auto. Never tested Carplay, but the keyboard looks very different to the one on drwankel's video.

I won't be driving the car in the next few days but I'll try to record it when I do on the weekend. It almost feels like the keyboard on drwankel's video is out of place, whereas in mine it's a proper built in Android Auto keyboard, looks like this one I found on the internet:

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 07:06 AM   #769
danbav
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiegordo View Post
Video showing as private, so we can't see it.

When I mentioned previously that it did work very well for me with the carsara box I forgot to mention that it is on Android Auto. Never tested Carplay, but the keyboard looks very different to the one on drwankel's video.

I won't be driving the car in the next few days but I'll try to record it when I do on the weekend. It almost feels like the keyboard on drwankel's video is out of place, whereas in mine it's a proper built in Android Auto keyboard, looks like this one I found on the internet:

My bad,

Try this link for the video

https://youtu.be/P1jiO9lsHuY
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 07:14 AM   #770
eddiegordo
Rep

Quote:
My bad,

Try this link for the video

https://youtu.be/P1jiO9lsHuY
Thanks! This looks like a similar thing to the Android Auto keyboard implementation on the photo on my previous post and what I would expect to see in Carplay.

I wonder if there's a setting in Carplay that drwankel needs to change to get this type of keyboard?
Appreciate 0