BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

06-05-2021, 02:41 AM   #1
Expressivedrives
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 ZCP

Tried out new Racebox

Until now, I used different mobile apps to track my progress during track days. Then I purchased also Racelogic VBOX Sport. to increase accuracy (and it delivered). But it all become clumsy and complex to use.

Today was my first day, using very new Racebox. It is a modern, affordable and simple standalone lap timer, providing also predictive lap timing. It has 10 Hz built-in GPS, good battery for full day use, built-in WIFI to connect to the phone app, built-in accelerometer and bright LCD screen.

This device is easy to use, very intuitive, concerns also the APP. UX/UI is very clean and nice. It is pretty usual, that usability of different lap-timers are cryptic, complex and below average — not in this case.

Important: Racebox has 2000 defined tracks in their database, but they are not pre-loaded to the device. You have to upload them to Racebox from the app before the race. Then it automatically recognizes the track and starts easy lap-timing.

I used Recebox during the full track-day from 10:00 to 17:00 on AudruRing (Estonia), doing about 10 stints (Racebox calls them “Sessions”). It was very intuitive and easy to use, no hassle whatsoever. It locked to satellites pretty fast and acquired 16 satellites for 46 cm accuracy. One charge lasted for a day, so I did not have to use provided magnetic USB cable and connect it to power outlet. I had also official lap-timer transmitter attached to my car, provided by the racetrack. Both devices reported lap times in 1/100 sec margin.

My personal summary
  • Easy to use
  • Very precise
  • Affordable

My full blogpost w photos: https://www.expressivedrives.com/blog/racebox-review
      07-13-2021, 10:01 AM   #2
RealBerusch
Rep
Drives: Looking for M3

I have the racebox as well as some other popular laptimers (AiM MXL and Solo, Race Capture, Apex Pro). I like that racebox has some straight line features similar to draggy.

However the app sucks, particularly the registration. We didn't get the registration confirmation emails until a couple days after the request -- so the first time at track, the boxes were almost useless. If you get one of these boxes, register the app a week before you get to the track.

Otherwise, I am still testing and comparing.

My favorite timer for real time feedback continues to be AiM, and my favorite tool for quick data is the Apex. I plan to test the Garmin soon. We were going to put it in a car a couple weeks back, but a BMW spun and smashed our a-pillar and broke our front suspension before we got to do anything fun.
Appreciate 1