BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

05-14-2020, 09:09 PM   #1
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

(100%) E9x OEM Camera Installation (DIY)

Hello guys,

Long story short I have done my CCC to CIC retrofit and my journey started right after I wanted to have Front + Rear PDC + iPhone Videos + Reverse Camera + iPhone Apps, BMW Live + Internet Everything that you can imagine its possible to have on CIC Professional.

Which I did at the end, except BMW Live + Internet due to discontinued BMW Portal on E and F series. But I know a guy who is trying to MIT Attack to G series server to gain access on E and F series but let's see.

So today I would like to share the first DIY guide of OEM Reverse Camera retrofit on E9x series. I have gathered a lot of information online but there was no DIY topic on this application. So I would like to share all the information here so can be helpful for anyone who wants to do it OEM way.

Since the E9x series getting older, the parts are very cheap. Also it is very easy to do if you have PDC (Even only rear one).

The Required Items :

1- E84 X1 PDC (Must) P/N : 9252636
2- E70, E71, E84 TRSVC Module / Camera Module (Search On Ebay)
3- TRSVC Camera Retrofit Cable : 61122183660 (I used this seller several times he is great. Just tell him to use faster shipment. It will cost $30 more but worth it. I have waited like 40 days with regular shipment due to Covid19.

5- Chinese Reverse Camera Handle (If you do not want to cut your trunk)

6- F10 Reverse Camera (9240351) Ebay IT

7 - Edited PDC file for NCSExpert to code your e84 PDC on E9x. You will not able to read or code your PDC without this files, and if you can not default code it you will not able to activate your Parking Menu. (I attached the files as .txt just download it and change to .rar so you can see the files. Read the ReadMe file so you know where to put this files) Credited : Andy and Superwofy

I have totally paid $170 . Got good deals on Ebay. pacific-motors is a good seller as well.

Let me explain what I have done to accomplish this project.

I already had e9x Front + Rear PDC retrofit with Chinese Emulator and was working perfectly fine. Since I am OEM maniac I decided to do OEM application. Not just that but additionally gain Parking Lines + Obstacles + Unnecessary Towing Hitch Feature to be manageable on CIC screen. And I believe nothing looks better than OEM.

Having Chinese Emulator and PDC made my job a lot easier because my VO list already updated with $3AG (Reverse Camera) and $508 (Front and Rear PDC), If you have $507 (Only rear PDC Keep it as is, as soon as you default code the e84 Front + Rear PDC, it will cancel the Front part and will work like your Rear e9x PDC without an issue with the OEM camera module)

And my CIC was coded like this :

MACRO_PDC
aktiv
MACRO_REARVIEW
aktiv
RVC_CIC
wert_21 (FBAS1 Pin 18+ Pin 28- Pin 27 Shield)
MACRO_L6_PARKMENU
aktiv
PDC_DIRECTION
vertikal

For the Trailer Hitch Zoom Function, Code the MACRO_TRAILER_COUPLING aktiv on CIC . Now you will see Trailer Hitch icon on the parking menu. (I like to have it all)

Additionally If you have Front and Rear PDC, The Front PDC beeps slower than Rear PDC sensors. If you want to match the beep sounds in the same rate do a coding on PDC (Thanks to my very good friend Chris (cbozzz) :

FREQUENZ_TONGEBER_HINTEN
wert_01
FREQUENZ_TONGEBER_VORNE (Front)
wert_01 (This usually set for wert_02)

Because I have already done this As soon as I installed the e84 PDC (Default Coded) + OEM wiring harness + e84 TRSVC Everything worked without doing anything.

Important points are :

CIC Professional OEM Camera installation requires FBAS1 pins with RVC wert_21. It is mentioned on OEM instruction which I did. (Chinese one was Pin21-24 And RVC wert_23)

If you buy a different Camera Retrofit cable, regardless of the different colors on the cables, Follow the diagram above to connect your FBAS pins correct places using this diagram. Some cables has Yellow and White in different place. But as you can see on diagram Pin 2 of the TRSVC goes to Pin 18 of the FBAS. and so on...

After you have successfully connected the FBAS cables, run this cable all the way to the trunk. In my case because I own E93, the PDC is behind the rear seat. So I run the cable there.

Then make a Y cable from PDC power and Ground and attach that to TRSVC cables Positive (Pin 7) and Negative (Pin 1).

Then use the Can cables on PDC module. Attach the TRSVC CANBUS cables tightly using the M connector that comes with the kit. And you are done with the TRSVC cable installation.

For people who owns e90 and e92 use combox bracket on the trunk to install the TRSVC other side of the bracket and install it back its place.

My case was little different due to e93 design. The HSD cable that goes to trunk handle was not long enough to run the cable all the way to the combox area. So I put it next to the tire inflator for now. I will probably cut the HSD cable and extend with a video cable later on to install under the combox. (Done it after couple days after with this cable)

Trunk Handle Installation :

I have seen couple of OEM retrofits but they were cutting the trunk to fit F series trunk handle and I was little upset with that since I don't like to cut my car for even OEM retrofit. I decided to do something different which worked amazing.

I already had my Chinese handle from my Chinese retrofit. I have remove the camera that was on the handle. And tried to install the OEM camera on that tiny place which did not work at the first time

Then I did this :

Just a little note here. After installing the camera, please use a clear silicone (waterproof) and put all around the camera, just make sure it will not over run from the 19mm camera hole. And then let it sit for a day. And use the silicone cover that comes with the Chinese handle to hide your imperfections. Thats it.

The tricky part is because the oem camera has a humangous back part, it is really not too easy to install the handle like Chinese one. So you need to first make sure HSD cable comes out like this :

The position of the HSD cable really important. If that cable comes from the bottom of the trunk it will not clear and wont fit. There is tiny square hole in the trunk and you have to feed this cable from there. I did not take a picture of this hole but you wont miss it. After the cable properly installed attach to the camera. Also do not forget to attach trunk handle power cable.

And other tricky part is do not try to install the handle straight like you would do on Chinese handle. Put the handle 90 degree where the camera part down and the other side is up. Insert the camera's back first then start tilting. You will start feeling at this point. I suggest you to use your other hand from the inside of the trunk. Reach to the Hsd connector with your fingers to adjust the camera while you are adjusting the handle with your other hand. I was able to do it in 10 min. And it fit perfectly fine. But wasn't too easy. When you also want to remove the handle you need to use your other hand to grab HSD connector from inside. But I don't think this camera will fail anytime soon. They are top notch quality comparing to Chinese ones.

Another Trick will be installing the HSD cable to your trunk. Many people cut their cable to fit their HSD cable at this narrow rubber tube. I did something better so no need to cut your cable.

The oem wiring harness comes with Ground Point in the middle . I bent this part and tape it before running in to the tube.

Once you have done installing the PDC and TRSVC properly, grab your laptop. Open the NCSExpert. Do not forget to copy files that I attached here. After copying this files in place Turn on your ignition but no need to start the car. (PDC module only works when ignition is on, because of the Y cable TRSVC also turns on when the ignition is on) read the PDC file and default code it. And switch your gear to reverse. You should be all set.

And here is the pictures :

For the E93 series like me please make sure your HSD cable runs correctly. I made couple of tests before install in place (I had experienced from Chinese Kit Thank God. And the Original cable was too tight so causes an issue at the very first time. Then I corrected it) :

The HSD Cable that comes with the kit originally made for X1 vehicles and fits good for E90/92. But it is not long enough for the E93. So You need to get specifically this cable to extend the HSD cable by soldering 4 wire with the shield.

Then Install your TRSVC under the combox with a single zip tie

Hope you guys enjoy. This was one of the best mode I have ever done to this car :

NOTE : At the end I had a very strange issue, My TRSVC module can not communicate neither on Tool32 nor ISTA. Ista shows the module with 2 error stored, but when I click " Call Up Funtions" ECU can not communicate. Only INPA UIF shows STVR/TEBF Job Status OKAY with the part number 9291385 which is X1 TRSVC. Other than that It works without any issue. I might do e84 SSD file on NCSExpert to see if I can default code it but no need to do anything and not effecting the functionality.

INPA UIF

UPDATE :

I have found the issue why the TRSVC can not be recognized with my system. I have JBBF H3 Junction Box and I need to upgrade this to minimum JBE 3R H2/H3/M in order to communicate with TRSVC :

jbbf81 K-line (cars older than march 2007) also knows as JBE
jbbf70 D-can (cars newer than march 2007) also knows as JBE2
jbbfr3 D-can (cars newer than march 2007) also knows as JBE3

Versions of JBE:
There are a few versions available
L1 (low range type, low range version)
L2 (low range type, medium range version)

H1 (high range type, low range version)
H2 (high range type, medium range version)
H3 (high range type, high range version -> used in E91 and E93)
H4 (high range type, very high range version)

M (Master Version, Supports ALL)

That means New Project is on the way if it is just a PnP upgrade.

Here is the JBE I ordered. It is the "M" version which means Master. It has all connection types listed above :

FINAL :

Alright guys i have done the JBE3 Swap today. Everything working like a charm and TRSVC getting recognized. The amazing part was before i have flashed the JBE3 with my VIN, i checked the INPA UIF to see how many module was disconnected with the swap process, Oh well, all was connected and saying OKAY. It was a 1:1 Swap and the module came from e90 335i.

I was so pleased with that but i went ahead and flashed with my vin and defaulT coded on NCSExpert.

Since i removed my glovebox i also went ahead and installed the TRSVC positive cable to Pin10 with 5amp fuse (K15 ignition on).

I just done the calibration on ISTA and drove on highway and came back. Calibration done properly.

I now just need to find a way to default code the TRSVC (prob with ICOM). And thats all

NOTE : If you have bimmergeek pro cable, no need ICOM, it can read and code the TRSVC.

For INPA Calibration Add the files in INPA.rar to EC-APPS/INPA/SGDAT and also this :

C: / EC-APPS / INPA / CDGDAT /

edit the appropriate file for the vehicle series
1 series = E87.GER / ENG,
3 series = E90.GER / ENG.

GER if INPA is in German
ENG if INPA is in English.

Open it with a text editor and add the entry
"ENTRY= RFK_70, Rückfahrkamera-System," to "KAROSSERIE", then you can select and calibrate the camera in INPA under your vehicle class.

For the English file it's called "RFK_70, Rear Driving Camera System RFK_70,"

Save and Calibrate (Thanks to Dubstar)

RKF files in German so follow the guide on INPA :

Press F6

Then F7

If you see this That means Learning Completed (Anlernen erfolgreich)

Now go and drive alittle then come back park the car and let it sleep. Wake her up to see how she is behaving after this butt operation! You are all done!

(I will be adding more members name later. I have got alot of information from everywhere)
Attached Files
File Type: txt E84 PDC NCSExpert.txt (12.1 KB, 923 views)
File Type: txt INPA.rar.txt (45.5 KB, 593 views)
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 03-20-2022 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 23
brettcp341.00
Theodore667.00
Nickco431456.00
SYT_Shadow11421.00
pyhee27.50
aus887.50
shannon1612.50
MadJoe44.50
Makaveli7116.50
ES BMW67.50
tdott3930.50
chocstraw495.50
PACarGuy646.00
BFZ4M9.50
KawBoy151.50
a5m595.00
mjn771072.50
Luxury84.00
      05-14-2020, 09:49 PM   #2
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Wow.. this is impressive. Great job!
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia980.00
      05-14-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Wow.. this is impressive. Great job!
Thank you buddy. There is nice people have done this before me. I just wanted to gather all the information and share my DIY with you all.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      05-14-2020, 10:07 PM   #4
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
This is such a nice solution for a backup camera on the E9X. A little bit of hard work and it blows all of those aftermarket junk cameras some people sell for $500+ out of the water.
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2020, 10:14 PM   #5
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
This is such a nice solution for a backup camera on the E9X. A little bit of hard work and it blows all of those aftermarket junk cameras some people sell for $500+ out of the water.
I agreed 100% Done and Dusted
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      05-15-2020, 07:49 AM   #6
Luka117
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 2012

That's great DIY

Glad that all works!

I need to ready little more about SSD file and I will try to help you with this issue what you have.

Again, Awesome job buddy!
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia980.00
      05-15-2020, 08:15 AM   #7
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Thank you buddy. I tried to create one before the camera retrofit. I did not try yet. but i appreciated. �� And thank you for teaching me how to flash the module
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka117 View Post
That's great DIY

Glad that all works!

I need to ready little more about SSD file and I will try to help you with this issue what you have.

Again, Awesome job buddy!

Last edited by SaNGRia; 05-16-2020 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

This sounds like something I didn't know I wanted and now want. Great work and thanks for sharing! Keep us updated on the TRSVC module communicating with INPA/Tool32.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 2
SaNGRia980.00
      05-16-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Amazing! Hope to meet you some day at a BMWCCA event.
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia980.00
      05-16-2020, 05:03 PM   #10
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebmwM3 View Post
Amazing! Hope to meet you some day at a BMWCCA event.
Thank you. Hope so buddy
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #11
mguzel38
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 LCI 2011

Thumbs up

Hi Sangria, greetings for the great work. i've become a member to this forum even i watching this for a long time because of u and to make a comment to your post . i have an e90 lci (2011) and my car has not the original PDC, but with CIC. i have bought an emulator and chinesee full PDC set which one shows the obstacles on the video. i have setup these after market stuff and codded just for rear (i hadnt known $508 codding for full PDC). here is coming kindly three questions for u and other members. Dont u think we need watch the thinks as full screen on CIC? how it can be possible? My car has not PDC switch button as u understand (car without PDC) but sometimes poeple should parking on front side directly, can i change telephone buttons function instead of pdc switch? last one; PDC obstacle and line options are innactive or dont change anything even i press the console buttons but i can change the brightness and contrast. How can i deactive vechile parking top vision? Thanks alot for your effort again
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 08:25 PM   #12
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Bro i am originally from Turkey PM me kardesim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mguzel38 View Post
Hi Sangria, greetings for the great work. i've become a member to this forum even i watching this for a long time because of u and to make a comment to your post . i have an e90 lci (2011) and my car has not the original PDC, but with CIC. i have bought an emulator and chinesee full PDC set which one shows the obstacles on the video. i have setup these after market stuff and codded just for rear (i hadnt known $508 codding for full PDC). here is coming kindly three questions for u and other members. Dont u think we need watch the thinks as full screen on CIC? how it can be possible? My car has not PDC switch button as u understand (car without PDC) but sometimes poeple should parking on front side directly, can i change telephone buttons function instead of pdc switch? last one; PDC obstacle and line options are innactive or dont change anything even i press the console buttons but i can change the brightness and contrast. How can i deactive vechile parking top vision? Thanks alot for your effort again
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:25 PM   #13
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Super detailed, you are The Man!!! I hope you're doing well!!
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia980.00
      05-22-2020, 11:50 PM   #14
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Super detailed, you are The Man!!! I hope you're doing well!!
Thank you buddy (Daniel). Doing good buddy. Tell Nikky Hi and hope you guys are okay up there!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      06-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #15
Beedurand
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e93

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Want to add OEM camera to 2009 E93 with PDC, and NBTevo

Excellent write-up, and the pictures are a big help.

A few questioons:

I'm getting the full NBTevo ID6 setup from BimmerRetrofit and want to add an OEM rear view camera. Will this set up work with the NBTevo ID6?

When I spoke to the folks at BimmerRetrofit there was no discussion of upgrading the PDC to E84, nor about upgrading the the EBJ to Master or Very High. I was counseled to get an E7x camera and TRSVC with the CAN Cables.

All of the set ups that I see for sale are well north of $600. If I can do it for cheaper...

Lastly, are their tutorials on how to program the modules? I've been using CARLY for most of the basic programming.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 04:54 PM   #16
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Thank you! If you are going with NBT Make sure you hook your TRSVC canbus cables to NBT wiring harness behind the NBT not on OEM Quadlock. My friend just done this NBT Evo swap on his 1M and he got e84 PDC + E70 TRSVC also he got e84 TRSVC. Both is fine. E84 PDC connects to regular canbus on E series but TRSVC has to be on can2 🙏🏼

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedurand View Post
Excellent write-up, and the pictures are a big help.

A few questioons:

I'm getting the full NBTevo ID6 setup from BimmerRetrofit and want to add an OEM rear view camera. Will this set up work with the NBTevo ID6?

When I spoke to the folks at BimmerRetrofit there was no discussion of upgrading the PDC to E84, nor about upgrading the the EBJ to Master or Very High. I was counseled to get an E7x camera and TRSVC with the CAN Cables.

All of the set ups that I see for sale are well north of $600. If I can do it for cheaper...

Lastly, are their tutorials on how to program the modules? I've been using CARLY for most of the basic programming.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #17
Gtsgarni
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92

Question PDC model

Thank you. I really enjoyed the job you’ve done.

You noted that we should use PDC of E84. While E92 PDC already supports 8 sensors. I was wondering why it is a must to change PDC? Couldn't we just code the original PDC?
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia980.00
      08-24-2020, 07:44 PM   #18
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtsgarni View Post
Thank you. I really enjoyed the job you’ve done.

You noted that we should use PDC of E84. While E92 PDC already supports 8 sensors. I was wondering why it is a must to change PDC? Couldn't we just code the original PDC?
Good question. Here is the answer.

If you look at the E9x PDC file under coding index, you will see nothing related to RVC on that file. Why it is important?

PDC is the brain of the Reverse Camera Application. TRSVC is just an outsource to provide broadcasting to the CIC. PDC is the one actually sends the signal to TRVC and says Hey, Shift engaged to Reverse Start Broadcasting buddy, And he is all ready to turn the camera on and allow you to watch the back. Then you engage the shift to gear 1 or D then PDC says okay stop broadcasting and cuts the function and turns the CID screen back to wherever you left.

Without E84 PDC, There is no order like turn the camera on or off to the TRSVC and your TRSVC will never activate the camera.

Before the upgrade, i try to do custom Flashing and used E84 PDC file to implant on E9x PDC with failure. So e84 PDC is MUST.

Hope it helps!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 2
shannon1612.50
Dubstar15.00
      09-16-2020, 12:45 PM   #19
Brasilcat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Useful information

Great write up Sangria
I'm trying to install an aftermarket backup camera on my E93.
But, I'm not well versed on all the codes and wiring and different head units and comboxes.

I'm very afraid of tackling the work myself.

I may just have to pay bimmertech or some other specialist to do it for me.

Thank you for the inspiration and good job.

Appreciate 1
SaNGRia980.00
      09-17-2020, 12:06 AM   #20
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasilcat View Post
Great write up Sangria
I'm trying to install an aftermarket backup camera on my E93.
But, I'm not well versed on all the codes and wiring and different head units and comboxes.

I'm very afraid of tackling the work myself.

I may just have to pay bimmertech or some other specialist to do it for me.

Thank you for the inspiration and good job.

My pleasure buddy. Enjoy
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
DirtyM3306.00
      09-17-2020, 07:15 PM   #21
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 323i M-Sport

Garage List
SaNGRia, fantastic retrofit.
This has inspired me to start collecting all the parts to install on my E91 which I'll do when I also do my CCC to CIC retrofit.
Thanks heaps for all the effort and writing up a great DIY.
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia980.00
      09-17-2020, 11:35 PM   #22
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

My Pleasure Buddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1 View Post
SaNGRia, fantastic retrofit.
This has inspired me to start collecting all the parts to install on my E91 which I'll do when I also do my CCC to CIC retrofit.
Thanks heaps for all the effort and writing up a great DIY.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0