BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-24-2020, 03:43 AM   #12299
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
I'm running studs from FCP Euro, with the intention to replace them every year.

What is the proper maintenance and safety routine to run these? I'm an avid mechanic but I don't think I realized the failure risk was so high on these. They are installed correctly and torqued accurately but I haven't done anything since I installed them other than visual checks.

Since I just replaced wheels, I'm not running spacers so I don't need to run studs. Should I go back to wheel bolts? The studs look cool and are nice for wheel changes.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/90m...rs/reviews/new
The proper method to run studs is:

-Buy the top shelf studs. Bimmerworld race, MSI, whatever
-Replace every 6 months for serious tracking, every year for semiserious
Appreciate 1
slicer2739.00
      05-24-2020, 03:45 AM   #12300
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
I'm too scared of any 12mm studs so I'm just going to keep using the bolts until I pony up for the 14mm fancy shit. Haven't heard of any widespread bolt failures, but maybe that's because all the trackies switch to studs immediately and I'm just late to the party?
Bolts also break. They are not a failsafe solution

When Hyundai was testing their VelosterN at the Ring they started breaking bolts and had to switch to different ones. Imagine how much less stress that car has on street tires than an E9X on slicks.

I think bigjae1976 has seen two cars lose wheels while using bolts
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      05-24-2020, 07:59 AM   #12301
evilspiritM3
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2018 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I have apex studs and I'm a little worried with how they are aging. They have this white crap like oxidation coming off of them.
I'm about due for a change but I think I might change them early.
Yeah - can't hurt to change them out. Way better than the alternative.

I was lucky it happened in a slow corner and I just skidded into some soft dirt. I was able to drill out the broken studs (inside the hub) and put the wheel back on and drive it back into my trailer. Rotor and hub are shot, and some body work and all the under tray components. Hopefully everything else is ok. Looking much more closely at the core4 14mm press in hubs now.

It was weird because when it happened I knew immediately what it was- which was confirmed as I watched my wheel rolling off into the brush near the fence line.
      05-24-2020, 08:02 AM   #12302
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:

What is the proper maintenance and safety routine to run these? I'm an avid mechanic but I don't think I realized the failure risk was so high on these. They are installed correctly and torqued accurately but I haven't done anything since I installed them other than visual checks.

Since I just replaced wheels, I'm not running spacers so I don't need to run studs. Should I go back to wheel bolts? The studs look cool and are nice for wheel changes.

Studs are for track/racing and should procured from a racing shop like MSI.
Appreciate 3
dbyrd304.00
Shmelgy443.50
Kelse921131.50
      05-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #12303
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Is it prudent to buy a stud tool for proper and controlled installation?

There was info about snap-on tool but sith the concern about the bullnose MSI studs
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #12304
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Have any 6mt drivers upgraded their brake pedal? I didn't have a single issue with mine last season. But back at the track this weekend I nearly missed and/or slipped off the brake pedal multiple times. So much so that I was consciously placing my foot on the brake every time, where it was completely subconscious before. I'm guessing it's because I have long feet and I was on a stock seat (very high) before, where my heel was on the floor much further back from the pedal, and now I am on BK direct mounts to my heel is much closer to the pedal and the ball/toe of my foot is much higher, because of the large change in leg angle.

Edit: ordered the BW pedals. Just when I thought I was done for a bit... I'm never done. Also seems like these NT01 aren't going to last as long as before lol. -2.8 front camber isn't enough with my setup either.

Last edited by Bartledoo; 05-24-2020 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 01:01 PM   #12305
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
I'm too scared of any 12mm studs so I'm just going to keep using the bolts until I pony up for the 14mm fancy shit. Haven't heard of any widespread bolt failures, but maybe that's because all the trackies switch to studs immediately and I'm just late to the party?
Bolts also break. They are not a failsafe solution

When Hyundai was testing their VelosterN at the Ring they started breaking bolts and had to switch to different ones. Imagine how much less stress that car has on street tires than an E9X on slicks.

I think bigjae1976 has seen two cars lose wheels while using bolts
Correct. I've only broken 1 stud using them since 2008 on 3 different cars. Bought them from Vorshlag, Turner, and BW.

I've said a stud is a stud but the Apex stud is the only one I've broken. Is Apex crap? Can't prove that but I went back to Vorshlags.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 4
SYT_Shadow11481.00
tsk941522.00
Kelse921131.50
      05-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #12306
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I'm really thinking it's time to get a daily. Ideally I want something that's low-hassle, comfortable, can haul some stuff around as needed, but isn't totally soulless / doesn't feel like a rental car. To be clear, I haven't driven any of these yet but have read some reviews and walked dealer lots to get up close.

The C43 is kind of a stretch so I'm thinking I'd just lease it because I rarely keep cars longer than 3 years. Before anyone asks, yes, I considered an M340i but I don't like the new instrument cluster and the price is just too high.

Does anyone have a lot of experience with any of these cars?

Accord 2.0T Touring
Plus: handsome, roomy, will run forever, faster than expected, every safety option you can think of
Con: FWD, dime-a-dozen, no options to pick from, prices the same everywhere
$34k

Genesis G70 3.3T
Plus: great chassis, RWD, likely to be reliable, premium interior, really fast, tons of equipment
Con: styling is so-so, some cheap Hyundai bits, interior room only average
$40k

Volkswagen GTI S
Plus: roomy, decent MPG, tossable, consistent award winner
Con: FWD, unknown reliability, meh interior
$30k

Mercedes AMG C43 (lease?)
Plus: fast, AWD, great interior, sleeper, loaded with tech
Con: pricey, interior space not huge, so-so infotainment
$60k
      05-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #12307
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
yap $50 a tire is what I have to pay.
The key issue is that if I have a Fri, Sat, Mon schedule, I can't change front tires on Sun.

So unless some days are wet, I ran out of front for the third day.

I will have to invest in 2 more front wheels, or a tire machine. Which has it own issues.
I carry 4-6 wheels in the car so I don't run into wheel issues. It's a nice advantage of our M3s being based on regular 3 series
That still requires more wheels, whether you carry them or have them available at home.

My road set (good for a wet day) and my track set. Normally, the front won't last as long as the rear. So at the minimum this requires two more fronts.

Since I have two tracks 70 minutes from my house, I am at home every night, and can change to the next set or just the front when I get home and before dinner. For the second day, I am good to go at 6am after coffee and oatmeal. Driver meeting at 8:30am no problem.

When I start putting NJMP and WGI on my calendar, I will have to figure out what to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 02:44 PM   #12308
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I'm really thinking it's time to get a daily. Ideally I want something that's low-hassle, comfortable, can haul some stuff around as needed, but isn't totally soulless / doesn't feel like a rental car. To be clear, I haven't driven any of these yet but have read some reviews and walked dealer lots to get up close.

The C43 is kind of a stretch so I'm thinking I'd just lease it because I rarely keep cars longer than 3 years. Before anyone asks, yes, I considered an M340i but I don't like the new instrument cluster and the price is just too high.

Accord 2.0T Touring
Plus: handsome, roomy, will run forever, faster than expected, every safety option you can think of
$34k

Genesis G70 3.3T
Plus: great chassis, RWD, likely to be reliable, premium interior, really fast, tons of equipment
$40k

Volkswagen GTI S
$30k

$60k

Get an SUV, you could eventually tow the car and have more room for racecar crap
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #12309
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post

Accord 2.0T Touring
$34k

Genesis G70 3.3T
$40k

Volkswagen GTI S
$30k

$60k
From that list I'd get the GTI, my brother has a MK7 GTI as his daily and it's excellent. Fun to drive, manual trans, perfect size, good power, very reliable, decent fuel mileage, decent sound system and nicely refined. The seats in particular are great, and I actually think the interior quality is more than good enough. I'd happily daily one. If you want a bit more shove go for the R.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #12310
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Smart car.
      05-24-2020, 03:09 PM   #12311
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
From that list I'd get the GTI, my brother has a MK7 GTI as his daily and it's excellent. Fun to drive, manual trans, perfect size, good power, very reliable, decent fuel mileage, decent sound system and nicely refined. The seats in particular are great, and I actually think the interior quality is more than good enough. I'd happily daily one. If you want a bit more shove go for the R.
Both the MK7/7.5 GTI and R are excellent cars. They drive great, are a good size, practical being a hatchback and for the most part very reliable. That gets my vote.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 03:26 PM   #12312
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
That still requires more wheels, whether you carry them or have them available at home.

My road set (good for a wet day) and my track set. Normally, the front won't last as long as the rear. So at the minimum this requires two more fronts.

Since I have two tracks 70 minutes from my house, I am at home every night, and can change to the next set or just the front when I get home and before dinner. For the second day, I am good to go at 6am after coffee and oatmeal. Driver meeting at 8:30am no problem.

When I start putting NJMP and WGI on my calendar, I will have to figure out what to do.
Wgi has a tire/mechanic shop right on premises. You can have tires shipped to them.
But WGI won't eat a set of tires in a single weekend so you should be able to
WGI>>>>>>NJMP
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 04:03 PM   #12313
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

This doesn't warrant a new thread, so I'll ask it here- anyone know if a company that could do space grey metallic in a can of spray paint?
      05-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #12314
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
This doesn't warrant a new thread, so I'll ask it here- anyone know if a company that could do space grey metallic in a can of spray paint?
Maybe not all that helpful. But the bodyshop I've gotten paint from to spray my car offers the option to put it in a spray can as well. Perhaps some well-known European body shops in your area can do the same?

Not sure if there is somewhere online that sells it directly though..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 04:56 PM   #12315
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Ask some local body shops. Just a fair warning that if you only give them the paint code, it's not going to match. I'm not sure what you're planning to use it for, but if you spray it alongside existing paint, you will notice the difference. Metallic paints are twice as bad as a regular gloss paint.
      05-24-2020, 05:18 PM   #12316
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

It's just for misc interior tabs I want to knock off. Nothing special.
      05-24-2020, 07:48 PM   #12317
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
And how is this track related?

🤣
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #12318
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
And how is this track related?

🤣
lil touch-ups to chisel/grinding interior bits for race car lightness?

i want to knock off the rear seat bumps and a couple other things and then do a quick pshhht pshhht with a rattle can.
      05-24-2020, 08:56 PM   #12319
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilspiritM3 View Post
-5th session today
-right hand turn at cotton corners
-12mm APEX studs
-Installed them last winter
-torque was checked about 45 min before (not hot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Correct. I've only broken 1 stud using them since 2008 on 3 different cars. Bought them from Vorshlag, Turner, and BW.

I've said a stud is a stud but the Apex stud is the only one I've broken. Is Apex crap? Can't prove that but I went back to Vorshlags.
I'm just catching up on this thread tonight. And I hate to bash a vendor especially because I absolutely love their wheels... But the Apex studs are absolutely not meant for track use.
I broke two in March on the same corner on the set that I installed in December, and another one on the same corner that was still the same brand yesterday while torquing the wheels down. I have a feeling the brand WhiteM3EMC talks about in his build thread is the same...

All I'm saying is I'm buying the BW ones now, and thinking about doing the Core4 Press-in's with new hubs soon too.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 09:01 PM   #12320
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Get MSI studs or go back to OEM bolts. /thread