BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

08-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #23
mgx
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Do you have a cousin named richpuer? lulz
lmfaoooo
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #24
mhaghighi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition package

I have e93. I had a rattle in almost same spot like the seat belt area but it turned to be rattle from back of the head support of the seat. Dealer took the panel on the back off and fixed it. Nothing since
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #25
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

I got the same exact issue on my M3 sedan....2000 miles on it.

I've had someone drive my car and I sit in the back seat to figure out where is coming from, and cannot pin point it but it's coming from the same area you describe.

I tried the damp towel and other suggestions, with no solution yet!

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #26
Jacque8883
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 E92

I have the exact problem as u described. If you apply pressure to the door panel above the arm rest, the noise is less or gone. If u roll down the window by a single "click", it seems to cure it too.

However, as the noise drove me crazy especially for a car at us$150k (price much higher in hk), I was determined to fix it. Took to the dealer three times and the first two they were doing something that I knew before getting my car back that it won't work. The third time, I gave them a hard time and what they did was to take out the inside door panel, put some thin padding inside the space of the door itself, the noise has been gone since then.

I don't know exactly where they put the padding but that's what they told me they had done.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #27
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I have the same problem but with both b-pillars. My door panels also creak and crack like I'm driving a damn C5 Corvette... Damn you, BMW! I think the guy who had my car before me had aftermarket speakers and subs, so they they didn't put the door panels back on correctly.

I also have slight buzzing sound coming from my driver's side door panel, almost as if I left a screw inside the door pull or storage bin on the door.

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #28
netjack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacque8883 View Post
I have the exact problem as u described. If you apply pressure to the door panel above the arm rest, the noise is less or gone. If u roll down the window by a single "click", it seems to cure it too.

However, as the noise drove me crazy especially for a car at us$150k (price much higher in hk), I was determined to fix it. Took to the dealer three times and the first two they were doing something that I knew before getting my car back that it won't work. The third time, I gave them a hard time and what they did was to take out the inside door panel, put some thin padding inside the space of the door itself, the noise has been gone since then.

I don't know exactly where they put the padding but that's what they told me they had done.
sounds good. i was thinking they needed to tighten the bolt that keeps the window snug.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #29
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

Not sure about pillar but I def have a little rattle around rear seat around 2000-3000 rpm....

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #30
netjack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

so i took the car to the dealer today and they said that if they tighten the window it will crimp on the tint and cause streaks on the tint. when he took his hand to shake the window boy do those windows move a lot!! so either suck it up or call his bluff on the tint streaks..thoughts??
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #31
netjack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

CASE CLOSED:

finally got rid of the window rattle..had the dealership tighten the windows and its gone..had to install special tint protector though..

now need to diagnose the front passenger rattle and i'm all done (for now!)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #32
m3keash
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93, JB/Bamboo, Adv.1 8.3 20s

Easy fix. Just get a convertible and there is no b pillar.
      08-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #33
noorman
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
Yes I had this and MANY otehr guys did here too. Hard to explain but it is essentially the pressure from the window pressing against the plastic/rubber linning in the door pillar that essiantlly holds in the window when rolled up.

Take a micro fiber towl, dampen it a bit and run the towl over the part I desrcibed top to bottom. This should take care of any squeaking for 4-6 months until it pops up again. Let me know if that worked for you.
Spencer, this is exactly the issue i have. With the window down no noise. Starts the minute the window is rolled up. Could you please add a picture to explain the trim part?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #34
ksflatlander
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I have it too on my '11 sedan. Noticed it 10 miles from picking it up new. Asked them at the dealership to fix it at the 1200 mile service and was told they couldn't fix it if they didn't hear it.

Took it back again a month or so later. They kept it all day and did nothing. Said again they didn't hear it. Frustrating. drives me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #35
dkballer22
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i

Nice, I'm going to have to show them this thread when i take my car in next thursday. I thought I was going crazy when I kept hearing the annoying rattling sound near my door where the seatbelt area is. I had the same issue when I had a 335is. I'm definitely not going to let the dealership try to pass it off as saying they didn't hear anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #36
MarcoM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X4 M40i, 2015 M4 Coupe

I am having a similar issue with my E90 M3. It is a very audible rattle coming from the right A pillar area, by the front passenger vent. It happens at speeds above 75 MPH, and it sometimes goes away only to come back later. This is not the classic BMW crackling noise caused by friction between the rubber seals and the glass, but rather a definite rattle noise caused by possible wind turbulence since it happens above certain speeds.
It is driving me crazy. Anyone with similar stories and/or fixes? Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #37
Auskuppeln
United_States
Rep
Drives: || 2009 E92 M3 ||

I have this same sound. I just noticed it the other day. I couldn't tell where it was coming from, but I think as I was leaning up to try to listen I put more pressure on the door which stopped it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #38
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

I just noticed this starting to happen in my 2011 e90 m3. Someone mentioned it could be fixed by tightening the window can someone give a little diy instruction?

Last edited by byroncheung; 04-03-2019 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #39
MarcoM3
Private
Rep

I don’t have my e90 anymore, but it looks like I am still subscribed to this thread.
There is a rubber trim at the top of the door, to create a seal against the door when the window is all the way up (you can actually feel the glass pushing against it if you roll the window up all the way with the door open). This is why the noise subsides or goes away altogether if you crack the window open.
The crackling noise is a BMM trademark, and I had it on my current M3 F80 and my wife’s X4, and all previous versions of the M3. It typically starts at about 6-8 months after I took delivery of the cars.
You just have to keep that rubber seal lubricated and the crackling goes away. I used to put some Vinylex until I found something called Gummi Pflege Stift, and have been using it for years now.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #40
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoM3 View Post
I don’t have my e90 anymore, but it looks like I am still subscribed to this thread.
There is a rubber trim at the top of the door, to create a seal against the door when the window is all the way up (you can actually feel the glass pushing against it if you roll the window up all the way with the door open). This is why the noise subsides or goes away altogether if you crack the window open.
The crackling noise is a BMM trademark, and I had it on my current M3 F80 and my wife’s X4, and all previous versions of the M3. It typically starts at about 6-8 months after I took delivery of the cars.
You just have to keep that rubber seal lubricated and the crackling goes away. I used to put some Vinylex until I found something called Gummi Pflege Stift, and have been using it for years now.

Hope this helps!
thanks man. i have been googling about this and found all the other threads with similar info. you know what i haven't done anything yet and yesterday i didn't hear that noise anymore... who knows maybe there was some dirt or stuff trapped around the seal but was later dislodged? but at least know i know next time i hear it i will try your suggestion. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #41
MarcoM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
thanks man. i have been googling about this and found all the other threads with similar info. you know what i haven't done anything yet and yesterday i didn't hear that noise anymore... who knows maybe there was some dirt or stuff trapped around the seal but was later dislodged? but at least know i know next time i hear it i will try your suggestion. thanks!
No problem!
The noise goes away when it rains, you wash the car or if any moisture gets into those rubber seals. When they dry up again, the crackling returns.
Now, I am not saying this is the case for every issue on this thread, but it has works for me time after time. My son has my Laguna Seca M3 e46 now and could not believe how easy the fix was for that noise.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 08:17 AM   #42
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoM3 View Post
No problem!
The noise goes away when it rains, you wash the car or if any moisture gets into those rubber seals. When they dry up again, the crackling returns.
Now, I am not saying this is the case for every issue on this thread, but it has works for me time after time. My son has my Laguna Seca M3 e46 now and could not believe how easy the fix was for that noise.

Cheers!
Actually the noise came back. And I think it is coming from the door lock pin rattling in its hole. If I put my finger on it with pressure, noise disappear. Also if I unlock the door (pin up) noise also disappear.

I think I came across with some threads describing noise from the lock pin and the guy had dealer fixed it for him. I need to research more to see how I fix it myself. Anyone know the right direction please point me to it, thanks!
Appreciate 0