BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-04-2015, 07:40 PM   #23
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

Properstyle -- your pictures are a fail but on a larger front, I'm not going to keep arguing with you. I just measured my car which is sitting on 18's right now and it has 1.75" from the top of the tire to the upper edge of the fender and "maybe" 3" to the top of the fender liner on my E92 M3 Comp. You're a "stance" guy based on your "build" thread. I'm guessing your first pictures of your current sled weren't stock since there is no way there is 3" gap going on there. That's your gig, certainly not mine. I want my suspension to actually travel and absorb the road imperfections. If you really think your car slammed to just over the wheels (3" lower) actually can corner worth a damn, you just keep on believing it. I'm not going to buy into your misplaced understanding of what a suspension is supposed to be about looks or how low you can go.
      02-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #24
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAttack View Post
they rate the Ohlins at only a 1.4" drop though
My front tire is sitting on the fender with the ohlins and I could lower the car a lot more if I wanted but theres no way this would work.

Much more than a 1.4" drop + maintain OEM travel = rim/tire going through fender. What am I missing here?
It would have worked but I ended up going with CKS
      02-04-2015, 11:36 PM   #25
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
Properstyle -- your pictures are a fail but on a larger front, I'm not going to keep arguing with you. I just measured my car which is sitting on 18's right now and it has 1.75" from the top of the tire to the upper edge of the fender and "maybe" 3" to the top of the fender liner on my E92 M3 Comp. You're a "stance" guy based on your "build" thread. I'm guessing your first pictures of your current sled weren't stock since there is no way there is 3" gap going on there. That's your gig, certainly not mine. I want my suspension to actually travel and absorb the road imperfections. If you really think your car slammed to just over the wheels (3" lower) actually can corner worth a damn, you just keep on believing it. I'm not going to buy into your misplaced understanding of what a suspension is supposed to be about looks or how low you can go.
the first picture was completely stock on linea corse wheels which the previous owner a 50 year old man had on the car. And yes it in fact has 3 in gap from the top of the STOCK SPEC tires to the Fender. My car seemed to handle just fine around homestead speedway. I had OEM Squares I used for the track and ACS type2 for daily driving.

I'm sorry that you don't know the difference between damping and height independent coilovers and standard style. As you have already prove now twice as the cars suspension travel doesn't change for cup adjusted coilovers, It's funny when you make the effort to actually politely explain something to someone who clearly is uninformed.

But I will attempt to explain this to you again since your still missing it.

KW v3 coilovers are NOT height and Damping independent. In order to raise or lower the car YOu are acutaly moving the position of the spring on the stut, If you go up you compress the spring and add preload. When you lower this style coilover you are releasing this preload and if you go to low, you get spring droop, (this is where the spring no longer is fitted to the upper mount under full extention) This is bad for suspension.

See pic below Mark in red is the point used to raise and lower the coils

Now New style coilovers ARE height and damping independent, NO matter what height you adjust these coilovers the Spring DOESNOT change postion. WHat does this mean? That even if the car is slammed or is raised up completely the strut will go through it's full movement. The only thing stopping the suspension from full travel would be the tire if it came in contact with the inner potion of the fender liner.

See pic below again.
The CUP twist up and down, You do not touch the spring on these coilover to adjust height.

If you can't tell the difference in how these coilovers work YOU SHOULD NOT be touching any car's suspension. To your comments of me being a stance guy, I use my m3 as a DD and have a dedicated track car. 300zx SLICKTOP with a 2jz swap that is setup for only tract use. You can judge pictures if you want but even my m3 on my OEM squares handled fine on homestead speedway after it was raise up. Kinda the point of coilovers (adjustment) Track day vs DD. If your going to make comments you should at least know what you are talking about. It's funny that your E92 on 18s only has 1.75 amount of space from the tire and fender while my STOCK e90 has 2.5 inches with OEM 19s and 255/35 tires which are larger than stock spec. Hmmm go figure that.

But hey you are more than welcome to test on the track your car vs my track and see if I know what I am doing. The whole point was correcting bad info, not saying I can go lower than you that you tried to make it in to. You said no coilover moves 4-5 inches, ( your statement is false) I've already shown you this now twice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 07:00 AM   #26
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

I'm guessing your are one of those guys who thinks by putting a long post with pictures you will somehow win an internet argument. As I said, I'm done arguing with you. By the way, V3's typically have tender springs you did not include in your photo. There is no new rocket science in the latter set of coil overs but if you want to believe that, so be it. One thing is certain, the universal belief is you should never combine rebound and compression adjustments in a single knob even though JRZ puts out units like that. For the record, several of the Nat's fastest drivers have confirmed my prior car's setup with AST 4200's was in fact properly setup. But with that, I'll leave you to your universe. Why don't we just agree to disagree. You obviously want to point out you think you are right, and I believe I am correct. Is there some court of higher authority on M3Post which is going to make a ruling on this?
      02-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #27
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

God you are dense. No one is even discussing whats better or not. I believe in educating people but clearly you have some much experience that you can't be shown anything.

KWs aren't designed the same way SGT coilovers are. So you orginal statement, like I said and now have show is incorrect. there is no aggree to disagree you don't know what your talking about period.The tender springs you are speaking of are for making up for SPRING DROOP which meant that you have the coil turn down so low the spring doesn't sit fitted to the perch and you are likley sitting on the bump stops and have limited the struts amount of travel unless you have modified them. Man people like you make my head hurt your so stubborn.

Last edited by Properstyle; 02-05-2015 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0