BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #23
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schom View Post
This sounds awesome, but i must say that seems a significant louder than mpe han solo. is it unbearable in the cabin? drone?

can you still listen to music?
Actually it is far from being too loud, you almost don't ear the exhaust under 4000rpm with windows up and pass that it's still really discret!! Windows down is when this set-up is fun, discret until 4000rpm and then that's where the crazyness happen!! I had a Corsa before my MPE and it was amazing, then Corsa with test pipes, really nice but a bit loud, and now this, the perfect mix of subtle when you want it and a screamer all the way up to redline(without being too loud)!!

Last edited by Alex07M3; 08-27-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #24
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTurnFactory View Post
Because of the various points KennyPowers raised (great summary post BTW), I decided on committing to what M3 Pilot points out above, by getting Active Autowerke Signature X-Pipes w/ High Flow Cats (which I believe also comes with resonators in the X-Pipes - see here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431713 - looks like resonators to me, but could someone confirm?), and mating it to my MPE.

What this will do:
1.) Replace stock primary cats @ 400 cells per square inch with high flow cats that are @ 200 cells per square inch
2.) Delete the stock secondary cats
3.) Replace the stock resonators with the AA resonators (I think? Can someone verify?)
4.) Probably cause a CEL, but I hear 2008 M3 stock software isn't as sensitive as the newer ones with respect to O2 sensors?
All of the above will involve no cutting, welding, etc, since the AA kit is a "bolt-on replacement"

I'm getting it done this Friday - hopefully the results are similar/better than what epbb got at his thread, since I'm doing a full xpipe replacement as opposed to just test pipes? - http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847659
Let me know how this pans out.

I'm still undecided between;

A) Keep Primary Cats, Go X Pipe, replace Secondary Cats with HFC and add 2 Resonator.

B) Your Set up. Replace Primary Cats with HFC, delete Secondary Cats, add 2 resonators.

My main concerns are significant in Rasp and Volume. Quite subjective as each person interpret rasp and volume differently.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #25
Schom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 e92 6mt

Quote:
Because of the various points KennyPowers raised (great summary post BTW), I decided on committing to what M3 Pilot points out above, by getting Active Autowerke Signature X-Pipes w/ High Flow Cats (which I believe also comes with resonators in the X-Pipes - see here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431713 - looks like resonators to me, but could someone confirm?), and mating it to my MPE.

What this will do:
1.) Replace stock primary cats @ 400 cells per square inch with high flow cats that are @ 200 cells per square inch
3.) Replace the stock resonators with the AA resonators (I think? Can someone verify?)
4.) Probably cause a CEL, but I hear 2008 M3 stock software isn't as sensitive as the newer ones with respect to O2 sensors?
All of the above will involve no cutting, welding, etc, since the AA kit is a "bolt-on replacement"

I'm getting it done this Friday - hopefully the results are similar/better than what epbb got at his thread, since I'm doing a full xpipe replacement as opposed to just test pipes? - http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847659

was at my local shop yesterday discussing further, and you are correct with points 1-3. not certain about #4.

my understanding is the stock set up is one entire piece from the primary cat, through the resonators, back to the secondary cats. so that's where the stubbies come into play, you're chopping the stock pipe to clamp them on to keep oem primary cats. if you go full replacement, it's a bolt on. No mr sawzall.

let us know how yours goes. i'm not sure what to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #26
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Quote:

What this will do:

you posted on my thread that your doing this MPE with AA/High Flow & i was going to do the same because i really didn't like the test pipes, however when you get this done, you should post a video. hope it sounds beast
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #27
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

What does the MPE with test pipes sound like in the higher RPMs?

I have an Eisenmann Sport with Test pipes and the sound completely goes away after like 5k rpm. I passed my brother at WOT near redline, and he said it basically just sounds like a wooosh noise. Probably all Induction noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #28
roddyc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BMW M5

I understand this is completely subjective, but going from the stock x-pipe with my MPE to test pipes, it was basically the same increase in volume as going from the stock muffler to the MPE. It's a little bass-ier sub 2k rpm, and you notice it a little more when you get on the gas, but still tame by most people's standards. Considerably louder above 4k rpm with slightly more rasp.

As for the other issues with the test pipes, if you get a tune, it will eliminate most of your problems. Including the OBD port based inspections depending on the tune. Alternatively, you can always buy an extra OEM x-pipe and just have a spare on hand in case you ever want to go back to stock without welding.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #29
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

That the thing with these cars, they are so well insulated. What you hear from the outside is completely different inside.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #30
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post

I have an Eisenmann Sport with Test pipes and the sound completely goes away after like 5k rpm. I passed my brother at WOT near redline, and he said it basically just sounds like a wooosh noise. Probably all Induction noise.
That's what my Corsa with test pipes was doing(lots of noise between 3000 and 5000rpm and after you could only ear the intake from inside the car), now my MPE with test pipes is the opposite of that and that's one of the reason I love it so much, from 4000rpm the sound just keeps increasing more and more all the way up to redline, it makes it really rewarding to hold the gear longer!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #31
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
That the thing with these cars, they are so well insulated. What you hear from the outside is completely different inside.
So true!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #32
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post

The E. Race does the same thing, it gets surprisingly quiet up high. The MPE has a much more linear audible output.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #33
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
The E. Race does the same thing, it gets surprisingly quiet up high. The MPE has a much more linear audible output.
You're kidding... lol
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #34
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Yea when I had my E. Race the exhaust noise disappeared as it got closer to redline. It was with a stock X-pipe though.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #35
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Nothing quiet about mine up top....
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #36
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Nothing quiet about mine up top....
Maaan, that's cheating, where's the cat's?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #37
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Maaan, that's cheating, where's the cat's?
They went bye bye. ACM test pipes up front, secondaries replaced with straight pipes and OEM resonators. We don't have inspections in SC, so this was a no brainer

I'd like to reiterate how the car doesn't sound anything like that from the inside. I kind of surprise myself everytime I see that video. I have no problems having conversations, listening to music or talking on the phone via Bluetooth if I'm just cruising around.

You should hear this thing go through the moutains, with the sound bouncing off the trees. It's a hell of an experience
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #38
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
They went bye bye. ACM test pipes up front, secondaries replaced with straight pipes and OEM resonators. We don't have inspections in SC, so this was a no brainer

I'd like to reiterate how the car doesn't sound anything like that from the inside. I kind of surprise myself everytime I see that video. I have no problems having conversations, listening to music or talking on the phone via Bluetooth if I'm just cruising around.

You should hear this thing go through the moutains, with the sound bouncing off the trees. It's a hell of an experience
Yeah, if still lived in Cola, I'd probably lose primary cats. We have inspections here so I'm doing the green thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #39
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schom View Post
Hi all.

Searched and read as many threads as possible. Getting lots of feedback saying after market x pipes are bad, too much rasp.

Saw another about the macht schnell combo works well.

Any opinions?

Goal is to make the mpe a whisker louder w/o going off deep end. I love the sound, just want to make it a tick louder.

Thanks.
I have the MPE with Turner test pipes and it sounds awsome!!! Don't listen to EAS video of the orange car, I don't know why but it's not even close to what it is in real life!

This video is pretty much how my car sound, everyday there's people at stop lights that tells me how great my car sound!!
Damn! Muy bueno!!!
      10-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #40
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrezzz View Post
you posted on my thread that your doing this MPE with AA/High Flow & i was going to do the same because i really didn't like the test pipes, however when you get this done, you should post a video. hope it sounds beast
Curious, has anyone tried this combo yet?
Appreciate 0