BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

08-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
slawless
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Help removing HD radio module

My car is a 2008 M3. The CCC died so I decided to upgrade to the newer CiC. The project went well all is working except the AM radio. MY original system had the HD radio module. The IBOC module in the trunk. I think the antenna splitter is cutting out the AM. So I am trying to remove the HD module. As you know nothing on a BMW is easy.

First the antenna. The antenna wires have connectors. These are the Metra 40 EU 10 plugs.

Both the Wires on the module have male connectors. The wires in the car female. It would have been nice if the car and module had on of each. Then you could just connect the two in the car and be good to go. So I need an adapter, one with a male plug on either end. I have searched for days and there is very little available for these plugs. If anyone can direct me I would appreciate it. There is an adapter to convert the metra plug to a standard antenna. I could use two of those and a Female-female adapter. I was hoping for something less cumbersome.

The second problem is the MOST bus. This is the fiber optic communications bus. This is configured like a loop. If you remove anything it doesn’t work. I purchased a loop terminator BMW part# 61136917541. It doesn’t fit.

The black center piece can be removed.

I can probably make it work with a Dremel. There is probably a way to remove it from the loop at the distribution block. I think I know where the distribution block is but not a lot else about it.. Once at the box you could figure out the line to the module with a flashlight. But the order of the other connectors must be right. You can’t just remove one from the middle.

Again any help appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
slawless
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

I see there has been a lot of views but no replies. I don't ask easy questions.

So I will tell you what I did.
I could not find a male EU10 to male EU10 adapter. So I bought 2 metra 40-EU10 adapters and a Metra 40 Female-Female adapter.

String all three together and plug in. one side will give you trouble.

The plugs are keyed. The adapters are keyed at the 1:00 and 11:00 position. As you can see the yellow side is keyed at 5:00 and 7:00. So you will need to remove the keys from one of the adapters. A utility knife will work well. DONT remove the larger piece in the 12:00 position.

This will get you AM reception on your new CiC.

If you want to remove the whole HD radio module you will need a MOST bus terminator.
BMW part # 61 13 6 917 541

Of course it will not fit. You will need to remove the black double barreled piece (red arrow) it just pulls out easily. Then you will need to cut across at the green arrow leaving the 2 white tubes inside protruding. This will then fit in the white plug and can be held in place by electrical tape or wire wrap.

No one will probably ever need this information. But for what its worth.
Appreciate 1