BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions
Closed Thread

07-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
vfour
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E93

M vs MDM confusion

I am confused as to the difference between MDM and M on my 2011.5. It seems as if MDM reduces DSC interference while M button only affects engine responsiveness. Yes?

I think the source of my confusion is that I cannot activate the M button without getting the MDM light also. If so, what's the point of having two different features if they cannot be activated seperately? Am I doing something wrong?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

The M button controls the settings for throttle response, EDC, DSC and steering. Do you have iDrive? If so, you can configure the M button settings within iDrive. If you do not have iDrive, then I will have to defer to another 2011.5 owner as I am not familiar with that setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
M and MDM are definitely not the same thing. As noted above, the M button allow activation of the settings that you set up in the iDrive. MDM is a performance handling mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black

What the responses above are saying, somewhat ambiguously, is that you have MDM set as your DSC preference in M mode.

Off iDrive, it's Settings | M Drive | DSC or page 22 of the M3 Supplementary Owners Manual if you're nasty.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Read the manual
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
DJDeez
Got my license back!
Canada
Rep
Drives: TransLink

Exclamation

The manual for your vehicle (2011) can be downloaded by clicking here.

M Drive - The M Drive Manager enables drivers to program a host of functions to suit their individual preferences. These functions include the Digital Motor Electronics (DME system), Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Electronic Damper Control (EDC), Servotronic steering and the M DCT Drivelogic. Setting the Digital Motor Electronics systems adjusts the engine’s response and characteristics and makes it sportier. The Dynamic Stability Control influences driving stability and traction. The Electronic Damper Control allows the driver to decide how hard or soft he wants the suspension. The Servotronic allows him to regulate the steering response and the M DCT Drivelogic settings control the transmission.

MDM - M Dynamic mode increases the thresholds for the intervention of Dynamic Stability Control. This delayed intervention allows more slippage in the longitudinal and lateral dynamics at every speed – the basis for better lap times on the racetrack and for consistent refinement of cornering technique. Yet even thought the control systems intervene later, safety is never jeopardized in any way. As soon as there is any danger of the physical limits being exceeded, DSC cuts in for your safety.
aFe cold air intake system (stage 2) ▫ Agency Power cat delete/section 2 midpipes ▫ Agency Power exhaust system ▫ Beltronics STiR Plus ▫ BMW M style (ZHP) weighted short shift knob ▫ CIC iDrive ▫ Clutch pedal spring removal ▫ Coding ▫ Evolve-R tune ▫ Laser Interceptor ▫ LUX H8 V3 Angel Eyes ▫ pickyeater334 clutch stop ▫ Rear fog lights (2011 light control switch assembly) ▫ T3 Alpha laser gun protection ▫ Turner Motorsport power pulley kit
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
vfour
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-E93-11 View Post
What the responses above are saying, somewhat ambiguously, is that you have MDM set as your DSC preference in M mode.

Off iDrive, it's Settings | M Drive | DSC or page 22 of the M3 Supplementary Owners Manual if you're nasty.
Thank you for this response which is likely the correct one. I do not have I drive so I cannot set M preferences so it appears as if MDM must be the default preference for the M button without I drive.

Maybe I am a little slow but if that is in the manual, it is well hidden.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfour View Post
I do not have I drive...

Maybe I am a little slow but if that is in the manual, it is well hidden.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...81&postcount=5

With that I believe you will be all set so I will close this thread.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread