BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
MisterM3
not so newbie
Rep
Drives: VTEC to V6 to V8

so a few weeks back i took my car into a shop to get my front bumper repainted. when i got my car back i noticed marks on my screen. didnt think to much about it cause they look like fingerprints, so i left it unitl i cleaned my interior. today i tried cleaning it off, but i cant. i even opened up my nav to clean the inside plastic , but still no luck.

its very annoying looking at my screen cause it looks "foggy" at certain spots. its like fingerprint smudges. anyone else experienced this before and how did you fix it? what can cause this too?

i brought it back to the shop and they have no clue not to mention its been a few weeks, so i have no case with them.

Last edited by MisterM3; 12-20-2011 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Isopropyl alcohol.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
rdollie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Sedan

Are you sure? I haven't checked but is the screen glass (doubtful) or some sort of plastic/eisenglass? If the latter it may very well have a special anti-glare coating and alcohol would only be advised if you're planning to strip ALL the coating off (I learned this the hard way with a marine chartplotter unit on our boat.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
Isopropyl alcohol.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
It'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Space Ghost
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Plexus works great.

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

I had a similar problem with a plastic cover on a stereo unit. I used a 2 step process from Meguiars. A plastic cleaner followed by their plastic polish, both from their Pro line.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
MisterM3
not so newbie
Rep

thanks for your input guys, but i what about the anti glare? when i took apart the plastic to clean the inside i noticed there are wires connected from the nav to the plastic screen.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Any anti-glare coating would be on the inside correct? If it is on the inside, I would use some Meguiars Plastx to polish out the marks because my guess is that they are collections of fine scratches.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
MisterM3
not so newbie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Any anti-glare coating would be on the inside correct? If it is on the inside, I would use some Meguiars Plastx to polish out the marks because my guess is that they are collections of fine scratches.
makes sense that the anti glare would be on the inside. i will try the plastic polish process. hope it works...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
rdollie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Sedan

That's counter-intuitive to me. I would expect an anti-glare coating to be on the outside like it is on my sunglasses, marine navi, etc. Not saying it couldn't be done by putting it inside but the physics are slightly more involved dealing with glass refraction that would happen before the inner substrate layer would be hit with photons. Not my speciality but I'd be surprised to hear the coating is on the inside for our cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterM3 View Post
makes sense that the anti glare would be on the inside. i will try the plastic polish process. hope it works...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
MisterM3
not so newbie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdollie View Post
That's counter-intuitive to me. I would expect an anti-glare coating to be on the outside like it is on my sunglasses, marine navi, etc. Not saying it couldn't be done by putting it inside but the physics are slightly more involved dealing with glass refraction that would happen before the inner substrate layer would be hit with photons. Not my speciality but I'd be surprised to hear the coating is on the inside for our cars.
damn, you make sense too lol. well, im gonna try it still
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdollie View Post
I suppose that does make sense. What prompted me to suggest that is that I am familiar with the coating on the inside of plastic headlight lenses. I sort of assumed/asked/suggested that this would be the same to prevent damage to the coating.

OP, you said that there are wires connected to the plastic. What side are the connected to? Front or back? That should give you your answer I think.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
MisterM3
not so newbie
Rep

the front plastic comes apart from the actual nav screen. the wire is connected from the bottom on the inside.
Appreciate 0