United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92 08 & 330d e90 10

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan_e36 View Post
to tell the truth, it is very difficult for me to understand))
BE provides bearings with such a tolerance and then the dealer pairs them (up and down)?
** the "risk" is that you can get the wrong tolerance if the dealer did his job irresponsibly??
am I right?
You're getting confused between ACL and BE bearings, BE bearings are already hand measured to get the ideal tolerance as per (bearing manufacturers) industry norms (and ignoring BMWs potentially too tight clearances).
ACL std shells are aimed at achieving the std BMW nominal clearance (which, if you're unlucky is too tight). That said, I have seen anecdotal reports (offhand I recall 1 set measured by BE, a couple of dozen or so installed by Redish motors in the UK), they end up being bigger clearances than BMW shells.
ACH HX shells have extra clearance, but it is considered a little too much, even going by high performance engine industry norms.
So hence mixing and measuring the std and the HX ACL shells to achieve the ideal clearances.

911r
Have you got a better photo than that? That one's a bit blurry

TX and Scharbag
Fair point, and I did ask Abdul if he could record measurements, which he agreed too, but of course you could argue he made them up unless he shows a video of it being done, or photos?
What would convince you guys it was done legitimately? [edit] I guess this would be your answer..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Exactly.
And you need hundreds of shells to create a proper distribution of sizes to allow for proper selection. It would be better to have thousands of shells. And you better be willing to throw a few shells away.

What measuring tools are being used?
What environment are the measurements being taken in? (temperature matters)
What is the target clearance? (this should be clearly published)
IIRC, any method that measures shell thickness will leave a visible mark on the shell. Is this present with Mpower shells?

Given the past (mis)information posted about Mpower here, it would be great if he could clarify his process etc. Until he does this, than I will assume he is simply re-selling factory sealed ACL shells.

Cheers,
Anyway, it's mute atm, as apparently Abdul's younger brother (22yrs old) died recently . So Abdul won't be about for a bit.

deansbimmer
Would you be willing to sell me a set of mixed and measured ACL shells to me? I'm in the UK. If you are, how much would that be?
And do you sell ARP 2000 bolts? (not bothered if their 'BE' ones or not).

Last edited by Assimilator1; 11-10-2020 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0