Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92 08 & 330d e90 10

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Ugh, acronym rich! But appreciate the reply still

Do GTL oils have a slightly narrower VI than PAO/POE oils? In my admittedly short search I couldn't find out how well it compared to them, other than "well"

Mobil1 reformulated all oils starting in 2015 bcs
What's bcs?

Carbon Build Up (CBU). Sulfated ash and phosphorous (SAPS) are main drivers behind CBU.
Ok I find that statement confusing, Sulphur and Phosphor lead to Carbon build up?? I thought Carbon build up was largely poorly burnt HCs (oil and fuel), or does that include compounds of Carbon+Sulphur and/or Phosphor?

Re Noack, which oil property/spec is that listed as?

Re burning oil, roger that, I just don't know how much mine burns as I haven't driven it enough (even less than I 1st thought at about 600 miles! That'll change this year ).
What are the consequences of burning off a lot of zinc? O2 sensor problems?

So, going back to Mobil 1 vs Castrol comparison, am I right in saying that although the Mobil 1 has slightly higher SAPs, which could slightly increase CBU on the intake valves in theory, the fact that the S65 has port injection means it shouldn't make any material difference?

For those like me who don't automatically know/remember what all these acronyms mean.

PAO oil - Polyalphaolefin synthetic oil has a much wider Viscosity Index vs mineral oil, amongst other advantages (read link for more info).
POE oil - Polyolester, another synthetic oil, with a wider VI than mineral oils (see graph in above link).
GTL - Gas To Liquids (synthetic oil made from gas, also better than mineral oils, but I couldn't find how precisely it compared to PAO and POE oils).
UOA - Used Oil Analysis (sending off an oil sample to a lab)
TBN - Total Base Number (alkaline additives to counter acid build up)

Last edited by Assimilator1; 10-15-2022 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50