07-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #18
AP3X_FTW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Sounds like a great plan. I will say that I think the SPL arms are a bit better than fall-line. Both are great but the clamp type of lock that SPL used is far easier to work with. That being said, I know of at least one forum member saying he had a difficult time getting the SPL arms to stay locked in place. I can't confirm or deny as I haven't had mine long enough. I did strip the head of one of the SPL titanium bolts. I think I will grab some stainless replacements as the weight savings is negligible. I spoke with SPL and they told me the size, plus stainless is stronger in that application.

I have the BW Group-N motor mounts and have zero complaints. You might want to do the full SPL kit while you have the rear SF out to install the SF mounts. The rear arms are impossible to install with a torque wrench when the SF is in the car (can install with a ratchet but head of torque wrench is too large). Might as well install an adjustable rear sway bar while you are at it. The SF needs to be dropped to install a rear sway.
Great information. After more thought, I think I will hold off on the control arm upgrades for now. I really like to modify cars one part or region at a time, that way I can get a clear understanding of what has changed for better or worse. Too many enthusiasts throw everything and the kitchen sink at the car, and at that point you have created a bit of a Frankenstein. Pretty difficult to disseminate which part contributed to which improvement, pitfall or added NVH. On the other hand, the downside of doing things step by step is increased labor cost. I certainly get the "while you are in there" approach.

Good note on the Bimmerworld Group N motor mounts as well. I was going to stick with OEM for the whole driveline in fear off major NVH, but it looks like I'll take the opportunity to upgrade knowing OEM mounts fail pretty quick (~40k - 50k mile intervals). Did you leave the transmission mounts OEM? I know if you go with solid motor mounts you will want to upgrade the tranny mounts as well, but I am not sure if the same rule applies for the Group N motor mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_g View Post
I thought this car has a stroker build?
You are correct, this particular car had a stroker kit when he set the sub 7 min BTG time. There are a number of Schirmer E92 and E90 M3's out there, and they range from stock motors, CF airbox and tune, to full stoker builds and/or Harrop superchargers.

For Sale - E92 M3 Full Black Interior Part Out
Appreciate 1
xander_g1010.50